Diva Vs. Real Analog

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

This cool new skin by LFO8 oozes analogness :tu:

Gosh, this thread is old... it went off long before we added the Uhbie filter. It needs to be rewritten, I insist!

:clown:

well, if you are happy driving a lamborghini computer simulation than driving the real thing, sure
stick with virtual synths.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:well, if you are happy driving a lamborghini computer simulation than driving the real thing, sure stick with virtual synths.
If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one, I'm sure many more would enjoy Need for Speeds and whatnot.

Tonberry wrote:
layzer wrote:well, if you are happy driving a lamborghini computer simulation than driving the real thing, sure stick with virtual synths.
If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one, I'm sure many more would enjoy Need for Speeds and whatnot.
The car analogy doesn't really hold water. A real car can actually be driven in the real world; the virtual car can't. By comparison, both real and virtual analog synths can be used to create music.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one
I always thought people use plugins to actually create music and not just "feel good", especially not to brag about their price :P
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: I always thought people use plugins to actually create music and not just "feel good", especially not to brag about their price :P
You didn't understand the analogy.
Tonberry wrote:If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good...
Aka. "since digital synthesizers like Diva can sound so close to the original units they aim to reproduce"
Tonberry wrote:I'm sure many more would enjoy Need for Speeds and whatnot.
More would be buying Need for Speed instead of Lamborghinis since they can get something so close performance-wise for a fraction of price, like in a synth world.

This is a flawed comparison since obviously only schizophrenics have trouble distinguishing video game from real car and it's very easy to make that mistake when comparing a u-he synth with "the real deal". I hope that changes one day with virtual reality before I die though!

DJ Warmonger wrote:
If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one
I always thought people use plugins to actually create music and not just "feel good", especially not to brag about their price :P
Well... until recently I've been a bottom feeder and many of my analog instruments haven't much cost more than a plug in. I've picked up analog synths for free! (a friend once gave me a Korg Poly61) I'd recommend the Bass Station 2 to anyone who wants a taste of analog for not much money. It's not my cup'a, but the Minibrute/Microbrute is popular too.

When I want a big round analog synth bass, I'm turning to hardware. I mostly use a KingKORG and my analogs, but I do turn to the XILS synths or Monark sometimes. I really liked the Oddity 2 demo too. I just find the character of those instruments suit my music more than Diva does.

It really has nothing to do with money. I'd much rather use software. I find it a lot easier to deal with and I don't like all the clutter of hardware, but I use it because I do find it gives me some sonic characteristics that are not as easily gotten from hardware.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

DocAtlas wrote:
Tonberry wrote:
The car analogy doesn't really hold water. A real car can actually be driven in the real world; the virtual car can't. By comparison, both real and virtual analog synths can be used to create music.
stfu dude, a virtual car ATTEMPTS to simulate the experience of driving, by showing you a simulated road, sky, trees, scenery on your monitor. i dont see the difference in that vs. interacting with a virtual analog on your monitor.

there is a feeling you can't get with a VA that you get interacting with a real synth sitting in front of you.
if you do, then thats the real schizo in a person taking over.

while i love my VA's Charlatan, Tal Elektro, Asynth and MinimoogV... i always
find myself going back to my AX80 just to feel that interaction with its buttons and switches and big data knob. VAs may have equalled real analogs sonically but not in many other ways.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Urs wrote:Gosh, this thread is old.... It needs to be rewritten, I insist!

:clown:
Sorry to go OT but... how the interface re-writing thingy is going on ?

My u-He plugins size refuses to be set at my chosen size... :( (eg. 150%)
Urs wrote:... it went off long before we added the Uhbie filter.
If I ever wanted to form an 80's band and use only DIVA as its main synth i'd call it....

Uhbie 40

:lol:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:My u-He plugins size refuses to be set at my chosen size... :( (eg. 150%)
All good. New prefs panel will sort it out for everyone. Diva will be happy to open at 150% for you, always, and no glitches.

the virtual car analogy would work if you hopped into your virtual car, and ended up at the office (or wherever you were going).
would you feel the road, or that unique sensation of power/speed when you gun it? nope.
would you get to work without paying for maintainance, having to deal with traffic, speeding tickets (heh), or buying gas, like the real thing? nope.

for some, the feel of driving is more important than getting from point a to point b. for others, the inverse is true. there's nothing wrong with either, imo.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

layzer wrote: while i love my VA's Charlatan, Tal Elektro, Asynth and MinimoogV... i always
find myself going back to my AX80 just to feel that interaction with its buttons and switches and big data knob. VAs may have equalled real analogs sonically but not in many other ways.
Just use af good usb keyboard with loads of knobs and sliders and you are there.

Also think the car analogy doesn't quite work. You'd still run the same roads, so it's not really the same as virtual driving. Whatever anyway. Some prefer this, some prefer that, and some don't even have the money for hardware. :) And tbh, even if i had, one instance, and always having to bounce? Quite a letdown...

layzer wrote:
stfu dude
Really? Someone has a different opinion from you, so you have to get insulting? Nobody here has told you to shut up; show us the same courtesy, please.
a virtual car ATTEMPTS to simulate the experience of driving, by showing you a simulated road, sky, trees, scenery on your monitor. i dont see the difference in that vs. interacting with a virtual analog on your monitor.
As far as the interactive experience goes, you're right. But that's not what I was talking about; all instruments, whether physical or virtual, can be used to make music. A driving sim can't take you to the places a physical car can, no matter now good it is.
there is a feeling you can't get with a VA that you get interacting with a real synth sitting in front of you.
if you do, then thats the real schizo in a person taking over.

while i love my VA's Charlatan, Tal Elektro, Asynth and MinimoogV... i always
I use physical and real insgruments; they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have no problem using my softsynths, but there's nothing like playing my Hammond or one of my synths.

It was never my intention to offend; if I did, I apologize.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Return to “Instruments”