VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

layzer wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
Tonberry wrote:
layzer wrote:well, if you are happy driving a lamborghini computer simulation than driving the real thing, sure stick with virtual synths.
If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one, I'm sure many more would enjoy Need for Speeds and whatnot.
The car analogy doesn't really hold water. A real car can actually be driven in the real world; the virtual car can't. By comparison, both real and virtual analog synths can be used to create music.
stfu dude, a virtual car ATTEMPTS to simulate the experience of driving, by showing you a simulated road, sky, trees, scenery on your monitor. i dont see the difference in that vs. interacting with a virtual analog on your monitor.

there is a feeling you can't get with a VA that you get interacting with a real synth sitting in front of you.
if you do, then thats the real schizo in a person taking over.

while i love my VA's Charlatan, Tal Elektro, Asynth and MinimoogV... i always
find myself going back to my AX80 just to feel that interaction with its buttons and switches and big data knob. VAs may have equalled real analogs sonically but not in many other ways.
Sorry, but the analogy doesn't work. An analog synth is a tool used to play music. A VA synth is a tool used to play music. A car is a tool used to get you from point A to point B. A virtual car is a game made to entertain you while you sit on your sofa.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

True. :) Still it's an interesting topic. (and interesting psychology)

deastman wrote:A car is a tool used to get you from point A to point B.
Yeah right, that's why a person goes out and buys a Lamborghini right, wanting to drive from A to B, like a family car :lol:

deastman wrote:
layzer wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
Tonberry wrote:
layzer wrote:well, if you are happy driving a lamborghini computer simulation than driving the real thing, sure stick with virtual synths.
If virtual Lamborghinis would feel so good that many people would have trouble distinguishing between real and virtual one, I'm sure many more would enjoy Need for Speeds and whatnot.
The car analogy doesn't really hold water. A real car can actually be driven in the real world; the virtual car can't. By comparison, both real and virtual analog synths can be used to create music.
stfu dude, a virtual car ATTEMPTS to simulate the experience of driving, by showing you a simulated road, sky, trees, scenery on your monitor. i dont see the difference in that vs. interacting with a virtual analog on your monitor.

there is a feeling you can't get with a VA that you get interacting with a real synth sitting in front of you.

find myself going back to my AX80 just to feel that interaction with its buttons and switches and big data knob. VAs may have equalled real analogs sonically but not in many other ways.
Sorry, but the analogy doesn't work. An analog synth is a tool used to play music. A VA synth is a tool used to play music. A car is a tool used to get you from point A to point B. A virtual car is a game made to entertain you while you sit on your sofa.
oh really. what virtual car game is there where you just sit there going nowhere? hmmmm every simulation i've ever played is designed to give you the feeling of motion like you are going from one place to another....say....oh i dont know...to a finish line perhaps?

the analogy is valid. now go play your virtual car game where you just sit there behind the wheel going nowhere.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:the analogy is valid
Nope.
layzer wrote:now go play your virtual car game where you just sit there behind the wheel going nowhere.
You are trolling, or drunk.
Because you can't be serious.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

layzer wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
Tonberry wrote:

Sorry, you're analogy is horrible. I drive a car, play racing games (I love Need For Speed Rivals) own actual analog synths and plug ins. No one (sane) has ever said, "I need to go to the market and pick up groceries for the week. I'll just go over to my XBOX." or "I feel like taking my Lambo out for a joyride in some underground race club, but I don't want to suffer any consequences for my actions." or even, "Should I buy Forenza Motor Sport or a Lotus?" Your analogy breaks down because virtual cars and real cars do not really provide the same answer to a question.

Now, I'm not saying that with significant simulation tech you couldn't get a car simulation to feel really good and perhaps it would even help you train for a car race, but who's got that tech? I know militaries use things like that for pilot training, but again, the real use for a plane, beyond training, is to go somewhere, just like the real use for a virtual instrument or hardware instrument is to produce a sound for expression. So, it is valid to ask, "Should I use Diva or an OB-x as my main instrument" because they both provide the same thing, even though how they do it is very different.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Mutant wrote:
layzer wrote:the analogy is valid
Nope.
layzer wrote:now go play your virtual car game where you just sit there behind the wheel going nowhere.
You are trolling, or drunk.
Because you can't be serious.
FU man, i don't drink.
and yo mamas a troll.

you get in a real lamborghini, you start the engine, you HEAR, the engine. you SEE the instrument
panel, you FEEL the steering wheel. You get behind a real analog synth. you turn it on. you HEAR the
oscillators, you SEE the control panel. you feel the keys and knobs.

who wouldn't choose to play with a real CS80 or waldorf WAVE in person over a
vst version? oh... the people that have decided that virtual synths are perfect
replacements for real synths.
Mutant wrote: Nope.
YUP.

zerocrossing wrote:
layzer wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
Tonberry wrote:

Sorry, you're analogy is horrible. I drive a car, play racing games (I love Need For Speed Rivals) own actual analog synths and plug ins. No one (sane) has ever said, "I need to go to the market and pick up groceries for the week. I'll just go over to my XBOX." or "I feel like taking my Lambo out for a joyride in some underground race club, but I don't want to suffer any consequences for my actions." or even, "Should I buy Forenza Motor Sport or a Lotus?" Your analogy breaks down because virtual cars and real cars do not really provide the same answer to a question.

Now, I'm not saying that with significant simulation tech you couldn't get a car simulation to feel really good and perhaps it would even help you train for a car race, but who's got that tech? I know militaries use things like that for pilot training, but again, the real use for a plane, beyond training, is to go somewhere, just like the real use for a virtual instrument or hardware instrument is to produce a sound for expression. So, it is valid to ask, "Should I use Diva or an OB-x as my main instrument" because they both provide the same thing, even though how they do it is very different.
A real lambo is real... a virtual one is not.
A real Analog synth is real...a virtual one is not.

you can chose to use either one.
take your picK and STFU

Lets see..

On your computer with Diva you can essentially have as many Minimoog, Jupiter-8, Juno, etc polyphonic style synthesizers as your CPU can handle.

IRL you can probably only afford to buy 1 Minimoog Model D..which only plays one note at a time and needs to be tuned on a regular basis. Or one jupiter-8 etc etc

Best to just have the closest thing you can which is Diva, and honestly i don't think a majority of mainstream listeners will even care or notice if you used a VA or not.

Each to their own though.
:borg:

layzer wrote:... there is a feeling you can't get with a VA that you get interacting with a real synth sitting in front of you.

...and this is really all that matters.

zerocrossing wrote:No one (sane) has ever said, "I need to go to the market and pick up groceries for the week. I'll just go over to my XBOX." or "I feel like taking my Lambo out for a joyride in some underground race club, but I don't want to suffer any consequences for my actions." or even, "Should I buy Forenza Motor Sport or a Lotus?"
:hihi:

layzer wrote: people that have decided that virtual synths are perfect
replacements for real synths.
Virtual synths are real synths....in the hands of those who know how to use them and they sound better than dinosaur hardware........... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

layzer wrote:A real lambo is real... a virtual one is not.
A real Analog synth is real...a virtual one is not.
have you ever considered joining MENSA ?

V0RT3X wrote:i don't think a majority of mainstream listeners will even care or notice if you used a VA or not.
Right, they only care what notes those synths are playing........they don't care what you used (and they don't care about "snappy" envelopes either :hihi: )
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”