The bar for idiocy's been raised...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sascha Franck wrote:As far as the technical side of things goes:
While Kore might work fine with the "plain" versions of the previously installed NI plugins, it's updating them though, to sort of "optimize" them. Just to make sure that at least their own plugins will work fine along with Kore. I can't see a bad thing in that.
As long as there's an alternative way to activate Kore, I guess I see no problem with the process per se, although I wonder what happens if the update requires a newer version (i.e., Absynth 3 instead of Absynth 2). I know that some people buy NI products but use bent versions to avoid the whole registration process -- the single reason to register being updates to fix issues with the previous releases.

What bothers me about this is that I wonder if there really is a legitimate reason to scan for NI apps or if this is a "feature" meant to, in fact, determine whether installed NI plug-ins are registered, and if not, why not. I would choose the alternative activation because I don't really want NI deciding to update, any more than I want Microsoft simply patching XP without my knowledge and consent.

Is this scanning process a one time occurance simply to activate Kore?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Waiter, can I have a coffee, please ?

NI is getting a lot of publicity this way !
Why don't you all enjoy something positive and put a smile on yer face.

Get it, it's free and it won't scan yer PC : http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?t=4656

Max... .. . :P
Carpo diem ergo sum !

eduardo_b wrote:As long as there's an alternative way to activate Kore, I guess I see no problem with the process per se, although I wonder what happens if the update requires a newer version (i.e., Absynth 3 instead of Absynth 2). I know that some people buy NI products but use bent versions to avoid the whole registration process -- the single reason to register being updates to fix issues with the previous releases.
The software will work with any NI plugin (or almost any third party plugin, for that matter), but it only has factory sounds for and will only update the latest versions (Absynth 3 in your example).

As for your assumption that the only reason to register is to get bug fixes, one only needs to look at Reaktor 5.1 with its five new synths (six if you count FM4 and the dual version as two), an updated Massive with a completely different sample set and vibe from the original, four new sample transformation tools (with new core cells), two new sequencers, etc. compared to the original 5 release for an answer to that...

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote:As for your assumption that the only reason to register is to get bug fixes, one only needs to look at Reaktor 5.1...
ew
Well, I would consider Reaktor an exception to their line of plug-ins because of the library of ensembles on the NI site. The presets in the libraries of their other products don't, in my opinion, have the same appeal. I find NI products to be so well coded that there are few support issues, leaving only version updates as the singular reason to register.

So, if you don't want updating within Kore, can you turn it off after activation? Can you, in fact, activate Kore with an alternative method?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

You can activate from another computer, just like any other NI app.

And I'm sorry; I didn't answer your question. The Service Center will scan any time it's run; it's the successor to the registration tool and it also functions as an update manager.

ew
A spectral heretic...

james0tucson wrote:
Chris Roberson wrote: Well on my first point, I wasn't really aiming it at your situation, but more like using it to make the point that, like you even mentioned later, having those proofs of purchase would stand up in court rather definitively if there was a dispute of legitimacy.
It is important to realize that even though I had very clear documentation *in my hand* and even though the company did not dispute that I had made the purchase, they still refused to authenticate the software.

They were satisfied with their position, and it literally required a threat of legal action from a large corporation to even get beyond the bum's rush stage. Once they changed their tune, they were all kisses and hearts, of course. But we had to force them.
I don't think you completely saw my point on my sueing comparison, and for sure I totally don't get your response to it. I meant that it's like if you tried to break the law, and something goes wrong while doing it, you sue the person you were transgressing against as though it's their fault for the whole situation. That's kinda how I see this other fellow's stance. He couldn't have honestly expected them to welcome him with open arms after stealing from them, no?
It has been established to your satisfaction that the customer stole something. What is your evidence?
And true, no decisions could be made here, but then again that's not the point of this thread. We aren't here to make definitive choices on these matters, but to say our piece.
Okay, my piece is, Companies can and do make mistakes with regard to the legitimacy of license keys

It is dangerous and irresponsible, and possibly even illegal for them to take the kind of action that was reported in the start of this thread.
Yeah man, I know what you're saying. We're on the same page here, just not relating it the same. :hihi:

But it's all good.

Cheers :)
Roberson Audio Synthesizers

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”