VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Jorgeelalto wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
AnX wrote:

Hey great man. But the day will come. You can mark my words on that. 32 bit will not be able to "realistically" serve you forever unless you start stocking up on parts now.
You're missing the point. My host comes in 32/64 versions, both run in a 64bit OS. I dont need spare parts.

I dont use 32bit, ive been 64bit only for 4 years or so (for work anyway). My point is, i could easily keep using any of my pc's for another 10 years without needing to update anything. I dont really need to update if i stay 64bit, as i have everything i need and its rock solid, but i'll prob buy a laptop this/next year for portability.
So then you're basically in the same boat that I'm in if I decided to use MuLab, which has a 64 and 32 bit host. The problem is this. If I want to use any of my 32 bit VSTs, I can. But then I can't use any of my 64 bit only VSTs in the same project. That means I can't do an orchestral based atmopsheric piece with sprinkles of HG Fortunes stuff to add that ambiance to it. They're not compatible within the same application. So it's one or the other.

Not exactly an idea solution, which is why I don't bother with MuLab.
The perfect solution is to use hosts with "sandboxing" and bridging, like Reaper, Bitwig... Which create another process that communicates with the DAW each time you load a 32bit plugin in a 64 DAW or vice versa. The sandbox executable can be either 32 or 64 bits and it does not matter, as long as it correctly communicates with the main DAW executable.
I guess in a couple of years most people won't even care about 32 bit any more.

And for those precious 'older projects' you can always use a virtual machine (with your favorite Windows 95/ME and stuff...) :D

2ZrgE wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
AnX wrote:

Hey great man. But the day will come. You can mark my words on that. 32 bit will not be able to "realistically" serve you forever unless you start stocking up on parts now.
You're missing the point. My host comes in 32/64 versions, both run in a 64bit OS. I dont need spare parts.

I dont use 32bit, ive been 64bit only for 4 years or so (for work anyway). My point is, i could easily keep using any of my pc's for another 10 years without needing to update anything. I dont really need to update if i stay 64bit, as i have everything i need and its rock solid, but i'll prob buy a laptop this/next year for portability.
So then you're basically in the same boat that I'm in if I decided to use MuLab, which has a 64 and 32 bit host. The problem is this. If I want to use any of my 32 bit VSTs, I can. But then I can't use any of my 64 bit only VSTs in the same project. That means I can't do an orchestral based atmopsheric piece with sprinkles of HG Fortunes stuff to add that ambiance to it. They're not compatible within the same application. So it's one or the other.

Not exactly an idea solution, which is why I don't bother with MuLab.
The perfect solution is to use hosts with "sandboxing" and bridging, like Reaper, Bitwig... Which create another process that communicates with the DAW each time you load a 32bit plugin in a 64 DAW or vice versa. The sandbox executable can be either 32 or 64 bits and it does not matter, as long as it correctly communicates with the main DAW executable.
I guess in a couple of years most people won't even care about 32 bit any more.

And for those precious 'older projects' you can always use a virtual machine (with your favorite Windows 95/ME and stuff...) :D
In 2018 I don´t care about 32bits, but it's true that I'm a hobbyist and all that. Still I render my final mixes into a multitrack because I format my computer at least once a year and I lose plugins and stuff, so you know, not a "pro"...

Anyway, 64bit is only a few weeks away as Adam said. :hyper:

Yeah, I don't understand why ya'll are talking about 64-bit again when Viper will have one and it's very close by lol.

Jorgeelalto wrote:In 2018 I don´t care about 32bits
You're so 2016 :roll:

:lol:

Viper is fantastic. Great job Adam! I like your sound demos too.

I've never owned a Virus but always wanted that sound. After watching lots of youtube virus videos and checking the features more closely (it's been a few years since I really looked closely), I'm really impressed how close Viper seems to get! One of the coolest things about the Virus is those crazy wavetables in the formant and graintable sections so i hope we see those extra osc modes added as well. The Virus TI has some of the nastiest (in a beautiful way) oscillators ever.

I hope I didn't open up a can of worms with the tabbed interface stuff. Like I said I don't necessarily think that making the little preview symbols into editable controls would really be a great idea. I just wanted to point out that it is very rare that tabbed GUIs treated the entire GUI as a single tab. Absynth comes to mind as a bad example of a tabbed GUI but even there the oscillators and filters are visible together at least. Any tabbed synth will usually have certain sections that do not change or have a couple areas that each tab to different functions (Extra lfos or envelopes or filters or oscs for example), and there is a good reason for that - it allows viewing different combinations of parameters that are useful to edit together. I don't mean to say this an absolute necessity or something that should be reconsidered immediately or anything, we can all get by as it is. I just mean perhaps down the line if an expanded GUI view was made available, i think it would make a lot of people happy so see at least a couple sections with different tabbed contents. And the good thing is that Viper is a pretty tight GUI, and doesn't take up much space currently, so it seems that there is definitely the possibility of an expanded larger view. Hopefully that is useful constructive criticism, I certainly don't mean to detract from the good work you've done with this synth!
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingonator wrote:
chk071 wrote:Except for the hosts which don't even have a 32-bit version anymore (Cubase, Reason, Logic, more to follow for sure).
My main hosts are Live 10 and Cubase Pro 9.5 which both are 64-bit only. Still i could use 32-bit plugins in them with jBridge if needed.
Jbridge is buggy for me and I don’t own it. It is impossible for me to run 32 bit plugins.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I've never owned a Virus but always wanted that sound. After watching lots of youtube virus videos and checking the features more closely (it's been a few years since I really looked closely), I'm really impressed how close Viper seems to get! One of the coolest things about the Virus is those crazy wavetables in the formant and graintable sections so i hope we see those extra osc modes added as well. The Virus TI has some of the nastiest (in a beautiful way) oscillators ever.
I believe Adam said that new features would be looked at after the 64-bit version was released, like the other 'character' boosts :3. I'm definitely also looking forward to the other oscillators and TI features.

How does Viper compare, precisely, to Spire?

One thing I'd love to be brought up to speed on, having purchased Viper and begun fooling with it, and also owning Spire, is the specific things that differ - not that Spire is that close to Viper - but here is a comparison of Spire and Virus:

(Is the following video the most muffled video on Youtube? But you see the waveforms so its not a deal breaker).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auOr6j81wXQ

I think Viper may be closer to Virus still.

I am just digging in, and I have not yet used Spire to much of its potential. What struck me about Viper was this preset called "Zipper", and playing that, while changing the wave shape. I did not get that particular result while messing with Spire's presets so far (meaning the feeling of a really powerful analog coloration with such a precise wave mixing and interaction) but that doesn't mean it is not capable of it. I would think it would be capable of it in fact.

Viper's availability of a wide gating resolution of the arp section is really inspiring (being able to get tiny bursts or clicks easily because the GUI Adam has created so easily allows it), and a number of other features jump out as unique, but I'm sure i would learn a bunch if anyone would care to discuss this similarities/differences question at the top of my post.

It certainly sounds a lot richer for starters due to the zero-delay feedback filters. I think Spire is more 'inspired' by the Virus but really it's own thing. This past December saw a Vowel Oscillator, new Shaper modes, and a chorus inspired by a Roland Jupiter 8. While they're all great updates, it goes to show that Spire is really just trying to be it's own thing without really closely following a particular synth.

Viper however is closely modeled after a Virus TI and tries to bring as much of the Access Virus to the digital domain. It's really the first one to actually successfully try (and about time too!) and already covers much of the Virus essentials, with 64-bit and the other TI features like the formant and wavetable osc's to roll out in the future.

Spire is a great, though aging, synth that's worth checking out. But if you were after a definitive Virus experience, I'd recommend Viper instead :) .

I don’t really understand why zero delay filters are needed since the filters are supposed to emulate the virus filters, which were digital and before the zdf thing caught on. But they are still awesome. Maybe viper is trying to be even more analog sounding in the filters and improve on the virus I guess?

Tbh, Viper filters dont sound exactly like Virus filters. They do sound similar and i like them a lot but when Virus and Viper are compared side by side with the same filter settings the difference may be heard
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Shiek927 wrote:It certainly sounds a lot richer for starters due to the zero-delay feedback filters.
Does it? :o

Well, to each his opinion, but, i don't think so.

recursive one wrote:Tbh, Viper filters dont sound exactly like Virus filters. They do sound similar and i like them a lot but when Virus and Viper are compared side by side with the same filter settings the difference may be heard
I’m not intimately familiar with the virus filters (though I do know that I find them pleasing), but are the differences intended to improve upon? I don’t see why else zdf would be needed if the goal was to get as close to virus as possible. I think virus was going for Moog style at least for some modes.

Return to “Instruments”