Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Numanoid wrote:
olikana wrote:once 2dat has a final release I'm sure he'll upload it to the database.
Don't have to have a final release to add it to the database, many synths thar are still in development are added there.

Adding a synth to the datebase doesn't mean that the file is added there, but information/presentation of the plugin with link to download (if available)
I have posted the very same suggestion just a few pages ago. While I appreciate Ingo's effort, I think it is better when everyone can upload, update, delete and add descriptions for their own patches and banks as they please, without being dependent on another user, in this case Ingo. Just imagine a nuclear bomb drops on Hanover and Ingo is no longer around :clown:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
I have posted the very same suggestion just a few pages ago. While I appreciate Ingo's effort, I think it is better when everyone can upload, update, delete and add descriptions for their own patches and banks as they please, without being dependent on another user, in this case Ingo. Just imagine a nuclear bomb drops on Hanover and Ingo is no longer around :clown:
The KVR database is one good place, another could be the OP of this thread where 2DaT added links for the latest versions of the plugin. A third option would be to include the patches collection with the ZIP file of the installer (maybe in a folder called "KVR patches collection or the name of my ZIP folder for then patches).

I had sent the patchces/links two times to 2DaT via PM (a copy of my post in the thread) but never got a reply to my PMs yet. Also included my email to the first of the two PMs.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:I have posted the very same suggestion just a few pages ago. While I appreciate Ingo's effort, I think it is better when everyone can upload, update, delete and add descriptions for their own patches and banks as they please, without being dependent on another user, in this case Ingo.
Yeah, exactly my point.

When this thread is already soon 100 pages long, it is quite easy to miss information, such as that you already had posted such a request :oops:

The same goes for soundbanks or presets, if somebody posts a link to a bank they have uploaded on page 76 or 64, that is quite hard to find, compared to if the banks could be found under the preset menu of the plugins database entry

Ingonator wrote:
The KVR database is one good place, another could be the OP of this thread where 2DaT added links for the latest versions of the plugin. A third option would be to include the patches collection with the ZIP file of the installer (maybe in a folder called "KVR patches collection or the name of my ZIP folder for then patches).
Until there is a better solution i added my post with the current collection to my very first post at the first page of this thread (deleted the old post):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5428868

This should be more simple to find and I'll add future updates there.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:

I had sent the patchces/links two times to 2DaT via PM (a copy of my post in the thread) but never got a reply to my PMs yet. Also included my email to the first of the two PMs.

Ingo
Maybe he wants to do his own factory presets, or include just 128 patches, which is a common bank format if I am not mistaken.

Regarding additional 3rd-party patches I guess a lot depends on whether or not this synth will be successful in the long run, i.e. after the initial excitement...

I really hope he will include a basic patch manager before adding new filters and such stuff. Being a programmer, maybe it is possible for him to simply add the basic SE patch manager module somehow (I know the synth as such is not SE). One button opens a simple context menu with the options save patch, save bank, load patch, load bank.

Maybe he wants to do his own factory presets, or include just 128 patches, which is a common bank format if I am not mistaken.

Regarding additional 3rd-party patches I guess a lot depends on whether or not this synth will be successful in the long run, i.e. after the initial excitement...
How do you define "success" for a free synth? Quite difficult IMO...

Maybe counting downloads if that is possible for 2DaT.

Based on how many pages this thread has i guess it was no bad idea to collect all patches on one place. As mentioned in my last post i had added the links for the collection to my first post at the first page of the thread (that's also easier to find for myself...).

Anyway adding OBXD to the KVR database would be a very good idea. esides the fact that sound designers could post their pathes at the database i could also add (and update) the collection there.

BTW the very latest update of OBXD (with the variable filter slope) does not seem to be added to the OP yet.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
olikana wrote: - there's a wrongly labelled knob in the modulatioon section. should be "amount" or "depth"" instead of "pitch" .
The knob is used for pitch modulation (= vibrato) and filter LFO modulation so renaming to "amount" or "depth" would be misleading too IMO.

Just at a look at the real OB-X and is is a bit different there.

In the first columen the is "LFO" at the top and the first knob labeled "Rate"
In the second clumn there is "Frequency" at the top and ""Depth" at the first knon.
In the third column there is "Pulse Width" on top and "Depth" at the first knob.

This means another line of text would be needed and i am not sure if this would really fit into the current GUI or if a reaarangement is necessary.

Ingo

all that knob does is set the amount of the modulation (whether it is pitch or filter or whatever you might select).
amount or depth would not be misleading in anyway cos that's exactly what the knob does. (sets the amount/depth of the modulation).
"pitch" is totally misleading on the other hand....especially when you are just modulating the filter.
in other word considering the limited space I would just put "depth".
when you set the modulation of something your basic controls are always rate and depth.

Numanoid wrote:
olikana wrote:once 2dat has a final release I'm sure he'll upload it to the database.
Don't have to have a final release to add it to the database, many synths thar are still in development are added there.

Adding a synth to the datebase doesn't mean that the file is added there, but information/presentation of the plugin with link to download (if available)
still best to put it up when finalized. or ppl will start uploading patches made with the in development version which might not sound right in the final version.
i think the final version is close anyway.... just hoping for those 3 feature requests i asked on previous page then really couldn't ask for more.

Ingonator wrote:

How do you define "success" for a free synth? Quite difficult IMO...

Maybe counting downloads if that is possible for 2DaT.

Based on how many pages this thread has i guess it was no bad idea to collect all patches on one place. As mentioned in my last post i had added the links for the collection to my first post at the first page of the thread (that's also easier to find for myself...).

Anyway adding OBXD to the KVR database would be a very good idea. esides the fact that sound designers could post their pathes at the database i could also add (and update) the collection there.

BTW the very latest update of OBXD (with the variable filter slope) does not seem to be added to the OP yet.

Ingo
Hard to say. I remember the long Phonec thread when it came out. But after the initial phase nobody seems to care about it anymore, no 3rd-party patch banks or anything...

With the OBXD the thing is that it has a very specific sound and at the same time it is somewhat limited, no arp etc. To me it is more or less a two-trick pony, brass pads and synth basses...

Here is a first patch based on the new variable filter slope in the latest OBXD version (access by "24 dB" switch on and using the Multi knob):

OBXd - Acidic Bass 3 IW_1

That patch uses the "Multi" knob at around 33%, here is the same with the knob at maximum which should correspond to a slope of 6dB/oct:

OBXd - Acidic Bass 3 IW_2

A single instance of OBXD is used. The Arpeggiator is from Live 9, no other FXs added.

The patch uses a second OSc detuned by one octave and 2 voice Unison.

That patch was originally inspired by D16 Phoscyon (= TB-303 emulation) but is not supposed be a direct emulation of a patch from that synth.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Is that called acid because it sounds like acid bubbling away in the lab? :roll:

the files wont play here...

olikana wrote:in other word considering the limited space I would just put "depth".
when you set the modulation of something your basic controls are always rate and depth.
The Obxd is a bit of a divergence from the OBX it seeks to emulate. There's been a lot of debates about many things in the GUI and "Pitch" is what it says on the OBX (in the sense of "this controls the amount of Pitch Modulation") and that's probably why it stuck. Also, I think we all got tired of endlessly arguing these issues; in the end you know what the control does and if you don't, it doesn't take you long to figure out! It's not like it's labeled "Tartar Sauce".

As for feature requests, this thread is dotted with lots of good ideas. Among yours, the only ones not covered are neg env-tracking of the Filter (yep!) and adjustable vibrato depth. 2DaT 's thinking seems to go like this: "........" :hihi: It's hard to tell what's going through his mind! It's why I created a preset about it. ;)

But rest assured he's reading all of this and surely keeps a list of valid FR's. One rule seems to be that anything that can be done with a workaround won't be implemented. He's also fiddling with other stuff that's likely making him burn lot's of midnight oil, like the DSP, which is a lot more complex and involved than the implementation and fine tuning of control mechanisms. If I'm not mistaken, this whole project has been an education for him and whatever the outcomes of the FR's, I think we're all grateful that he chose to share it with us.

Personally, I think the Obxd will be done when activating 24dB LED turns off the Bandpass LED and won't let it come on again till the 24dB mode is turned off... ;)

Breeze wrote: The Obxd is a bit of a divergence from the OBX it seeks to emulate

he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Is that called acid because it sounds like acid bubbling away in the lab? :roll:
No idea to be honest (and i got a Dr. in Chemistry...).

The patch is called "Acidic Bass" because it is influenced by the 303 but on the other hand is not identical. If it would be a perfect emulation i maybe would choose a different name...
Kriminal wrote:
he's trying to emulate the OB-Xa isnt he...? diff synth...
AFAIK originally it was influence by the OB-X but should be somewhere bewteen a OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8.
Anyway the multimode filter wound fit more to a SEM and the new variable filter slope mode is something not to directly related to Oberheim...

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”