Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

The old Winston Churchill gag... hmm.

It's really just a statement of the obvious though isn't it? If U-he's Diva were $10m per license, nobody would by it. If it were $0.01, pretty much everyone would. So all any of us are ever doing is haggling over the price. This is all just a repeat of the arguments when it came out. For some, it's worth $199, for some $99, and there it is. One side arguing with the other will never make any difference to that. But then, we wouldn't have KVR, right? :-)

Anyway, can anyone remember what Arturia's policy is for older versions of V Collection? Did v4 get the same upgrade price as v5? If not, what was the disparity?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Did v4 get the same upgrade price as v5?
I went from the collection 4 essentials to the full collection 6 for 199 euro's.
So for me that was a very nice upgrade.

Off course being a European, I had to pay 199 euro's while Americans pay 199 dollars (and we all know that 199 dollars equals 199 euro's... NOT) but that is a completely different discussion.

I also got the "3 pre-amps you'll actually use" for a very nice intro price, so Arturia is certainly taking care of their existing customers... :tu: .

noiseboyuk wrote:... For some, it's worth $199, for some $99, and there it is. One side arguing with the other will never make any difference to that. ...
What is "worth" is not a good indicator, because
values are (almost) always relative, and depend on the general market situation, benchmark prices of the comparative products, forecasted price development in the future.

"Fairness-component" has its own influnce to the demand, opinions of the price, which otherwise seems to be OK and "worth" what we get. If you know, that I get the product 50 % cheaper than you, from the same starting point, on average this decreases your willingness to pay price. Or if the price is the same, from very different starting points.
Maybe this later is the one many developers get critique.

-----------------------------------------------------
No price is absolute. Maybe, only the value of the life is absolute (in a perfect world).

noiseboyuk wrote:The old Winston Churchill gag... hmm.

It's really just a statement of the obvious though isn't it? If U-he's Diva were $10m per license, nobody would by it. If it were $0.01, pretty much everyone would. So all any of us are ever doing is haggling over the price. This is all just a repeat of the arguments when it came out. For some, it's worth $199, for some $99, and there it is. One side arguing with the other will never make any difference to that. But then, we wouldn't have KVR, right? :-)

Anyway, can anyone remember what Arturia's policy is for older versions of V Collection? Did v4 get the same upgrade price as v5? If not, what was the disparity?
I believe so. I posted details about this in another thread somewhere. Their pattern goes back to V4 from V3. I don't have any indication of anything before that. I think that this upgrade is the one to watch because if it doesn't drop to $99 it will indicate a break from their old patterns.

What I don't expect is that the upgrade price for future versions will increase significantly. It could happen though in that they could adopt Steinberg's model. That just means, for me, that I will wait even longer between upgrades. There's only so much that they can do with that, especially if they want to have sales. This happens with Steinberg as well. At some point they have to have a sale and it doesn't matter how old your version is you will be able to upgrade at a reasonable price.

There has consistently been about 18 months between releases and I think that they upped their modeling game a bit on this last release. So, if they don't drop to $99 I will probably pick up V7 on release at $199 which will give me V5,V6, and V7 for that price. That assumes that they don't change to Steinberg's model and that they continue their trend of decent analog modeling.

2012 - I upgraded my V Collection to V Collection 3 ($99). At the time, re-selling allowed. I got $200 for my V Collection 2
2015 - V Collection (4) upgrade $69. Sold VC3 $99
2016 - V Collection 5 NFR upgrade $99. Sold Matrix 12, VC 4 ($99) - last of sellable VC sw
2018 - V Collection 6 Available $199.

Arturia has changed their upgrade policy over the last couple of years. It’s fair, but a pretty big price swing. Instead of being able to sell your old copy, at or near the upgrade price (or even at a profit), new versions are NFR (not for resell). That’s probably fair. OTOH - they’ve jacked up the upgrade price at the same time, from $99 to $199. Many of us, are hoping this would drop to $99, as it has been for the past 5 to 6 years. Maybe it won’t happen. Personally - the new instruments have hundreds of presets, included in the free Analog Lab 3 update. Along with those, is the ability to change important timbre controls and save off these patches or generate multis with them. So . . (for me) it comes down to, is having access to the DX-7V sequencer worth $199. :D

Thanks folks - well, in the absence of any other info, I'll file Arturia into my Native Instruments upgrade policy. If there's nothing that grabs me as a must have, just wait for the next version. No regrets so far with NI for that.
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Thanks folks - well, in the absence of any other info, I'll file Arturia into my Native Instruments upgrade policy. If there's nothing that grabs me as a must have, just wait for the next version. No regrets so far with NI for that.
If by "grab you" you mean "must have", then I'm with you on that. Unless they change to the Steinberg model then you just wait until either you "must have it", or the value proposition is good enough that you feel that it's too good of a deal to pass up.

ghettosynth wrote:If by "grab you" you mean "must have", then I'm with you on that. Unless they change to the Steinberg model then you just wait until either you "must have it", or the value proposition is good enough that you feel that it's too good of a deal to pass up.
Yeah, with Steinberg its more complex - each version you skip costs you more.

Nothing was a Must Have for me with V6, but a few Fairly Nice To Haves.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I just want the Buchla Easel. Wish they would do a half price sale on that!

Buchla Easel is good, but the CMI V is my big hit of the last update. Simply wonderful.
Piano 2 is also surprisingly good.....seems to have gone under the radar.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have all the "must have" I need, and for me, something like this V6 from Arturia is more about inspiration, new toys, learning, and resulting in new music created.
All of which fuels my interests in music and producing.
I upgraded from V3, and I'm having a blast. It's fantastic.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

SLiC wrote:Buchla Easel is good, but the CMI V is my big hit of the last update. Simply wonderful.
Piano 2 is also surprisingly good.....seems to have gone under the radar.
I almost always load up the CMI V, just in case. Can't keep my hands of it 8)
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:I have all the "must have" I need, and for me, something like this V6 from Arturia is more about inspiration, new toys, learning, and resulting in new music created.
If I hadn't upgraded to V4 from V3, I would probably be willing to pay $199 to get to V6. Since I did, I'm not. I like the Buchla, the CMI, and the Synclavier, but it's not like I don't have a metric assload of inspirational tools. New toys can wait.

ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:I have all the "must have" I need, and for me, something like this V6 from Arturia is more about inspiration, new toys, learning, and resulting in new music created.
If I hadn't upgraded to V4 from V3, I would probably be willing to pay $199 to get to V6. Since I did, I'm not. I like the Buchla, the CMI, and the Synclavier, but it's not like I don't have a metric assload of inspirational tools. New toys can wait.
Exactly.

cthonophonic wrote:
zadillo wrote:I just don't see how Arturia will be able to ever actually drop the price on the upgrade lower than $199 with how many times they have said that this is the best price you'll ever see for this upgrade (and even now they've got a Best Price Guaranteed badge on the page). They seem to have gone out of their way to explicitly tell customers that they won't get a better upgrade price.
Oh, they'll find a way. There is a limited pool of users who own V Collection 5, and once everyone who's willing to pay the $199 price has upgraded, they'll start offering lower prices to get the remaining users on board. The badge is essentially meaningless, as there's no accompanying information clarifying just what it guarantees. It's probably just "the best price right now, for you, personally" or even "the best price you'll find anywhere on this webpage."
That's more or less how I read it. Nothing in the wording said it was the best price you'll ever see going into the future, it's the best price right now, JRR and Audiodelux etc. i.e. are not going to give you a better price. It's always best to put on a lawyers hat with advertising blurbs. :roll:

If the don't offer a lower price by next Xmas I will be surprised, and like I mentioned already if they're thinking this is a comparable price to Komplete, NI include their FX plug ins in Komplete, and so far Arturia do not.

Return to “Instruments”