If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

LOL, Roland sees you suckers coming, you best get that subscription, it won't sound as good if you don't.

If it is only for rent in a cloud then NOOOOOOOOOOO!

What, authentic Roland tones are not worth parting with a few dollars? I mean, you're getting the real thing here, "perfect" recreation of the D50 sound. How can you even put a price on that? It's perfect! It's using circuit modeling technology to perfectly model all of the subtlety and nuance of the late 80s digital sound.

You're getting a D-50 for christ sake! This is like a gift from heaven. No more sketchy wannabe clones from shady vendors that you know will be shutdown as soon as Roland gets a whiff of their inferior stench. No more downloading the original roms from shady internet sources that are probably installing malware on your computer. This is a Roland instrument, superior in EVERY way.

You know you want it, go on, you deserve it, just get it, get it today!

rod_zero wrote:Seems you can load it into the system 8 also.
Not sure if that image you posted is fake, but that's not what I just read on the site:

Peter Fitzpatrick: What is the timeline (approximately?) for the plug out version ?

Roland Cloud: Peter, D-50 will not support PLUG-OUT, only plugin. WE'll keep looking into it, but this is due to available sample memory and other technical limitations of some "DCB" synths.

Andy Robins: I was pretty excited until I realized it's NOT available as a Plug-Out - I'm pretty concerned about the future of the System 8.

Roland Cloud: Hi Andy, the SYSTEM-8 is a healthy and strongly supported product by Roland. The D-50 is plugin only, as the technology is a bit different and requires sample memory that the SYSTEM-8 does not have. Look at it more as a technical limitation rather than any kind of abandonment of the SYSTEM-8. SYSTEM-8 makes a great controller for D-50/ running on DAW.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway count me out until they provide a non-subscription version.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:What, authentic Roland tones are not worth parting with a few dollars? I mean, you're getting the real thing here, "perfect" recreation of the D50 sound. How can you even put a price on that? It's perfect! It's using circuit modeling technology to perfectly model all of the subtlety and nuance of the late 80s digital sound.

You're getting a D-50 for christ sake! This is like a gift from heaven. No more sketchy wannabe clones from shady vendors that you know will be shutdown as soon as Roland gets a whiff of their inferior stench. No more downloading the original roms from shady internet sources that are probably installing malware on your computer. This is a Roland instrument, superior in EVERY way.

What about the filters ?

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:What, authentic Roland tones are not worth parting with a few dollars? I mean, you're getting the real thing here, "perfect" recreation of the D50 sound. How can you even put a price on that? It's perfect! It's using circuit modeling technology to perfectly model all of the subtlety and nuance of the late 80s digital sound.

What about the filters ?
They're authentic too! Authentic Roland 1987 DSP filters. Do you want the real deal, or are you the kind of person that settles for cheap imitations? Really, if you think about it, your choice to purchase or not purchase a high quality subscription product like this says a lot about who you are as a person. Are you the kind of person who takes shortcuts to everything, or, are you ready to man up and take your music production seriously? Are you ready to embrace success, or are you afraid of it?

It's just money, surely your success is worth far more than the monthly fee?

Numanoid wrote: What about the filters ?

What about them? If you are asking for the quality, these are digital filters from the eighties. D-50 was never known by it's "superb" filters, as was neither of the synths of that era (assuming they had filters - some even didn't have them)
Last edited by fmr on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

ghettosynth wrote: It's just money, surely your success is worth far more than the monthly fee?
:hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

ghettosynth wrote:They're authentic too! Authentic Roland 1987 DSP filters. Do you want the real deal, or are you the kind of person that settles for cheap imitations?
It is just that somebody once told me that the D50 is a rompler with shitty filters...

I can get D50 sounds in other synths (zebra/dune to name two) so no interest in a roland vst.

If i wanted authenticity i would buy the hardware, but that would be pure rose tinted nostalgia :hihi:

ghettosynth wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

What about the filters ?
They're authentic too! Authentic Roland 1987 DSP filters. Do you want the real deal, or are you the kind of person that settles for cheap imitations? Really, if you think about it, your choice to purchase or not purchase a high quality subscription product like this says a lot about who you are as a person. Are you the kind of person who takes shortcuts to everything, or, are you ready to man up and take your music production seriously? Are you ready to embrace success, or are you afraid of it?

It's just money, surely your success is worth far more than the monthly fee?
Roland should hire you on the spot for their marketing department. :D

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:They're authentic too! Authentic Roland 1987 DSP filters. Do you want the real deal, or are you the kind of person that settles for cheap imitations?
It is just that somebody once told me that the D50 is a rompler with shitty filters...
How could that possibly be true? I mean the D-50 was developed in 1987 and was one of the first synths with digital filters. Surely they are the pinnacle of vintage filter delight? I mean, they were certainly closer to analogue synths in time than any other digital synth. We only got MORE digital after that.

Don't believe the naysayers, just get out your wallet and type in those numbers. That little wince of pain that you feel every month will be more than made up for by the glorious and authentic vintage tones you will hear pouring out of your speaker...cones.

Numanoid wrote:
The D-50 is not a ROMpler. That description (rompler with shitty filters) suits more the Korg M1.
Fernando (FMR)

The sound demo on page 1 sounds like pure, cheap, digital Nippon cheese. :P

fmr wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
The D-50 is not a ROMpler. That description (rompler with shitty filters) suits more the Korg M1.
Numanoid is talking about a snarky off the cuff comment that I made in terms of value of a D50 emulation. Granted it's not strictly a rompler, but nonetheless, it's a terrible VA and without it's romplerish characteristics wouldn't have made it past day one. I'll revise my comment "It's a weak romplerish digital synthesizer with shitty filters." That's pretty much spot on right there LOL!

I think that the concept is still interesting, but not with dated technology.

Return to “Instruments”