How do you structure a song??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jackson wrote:No I'm not. So either I'm not :nutter: or we both are. :)
You're a strange dude. :hihi:

I think I'm definitely a little :nutter: today. :hihi:
Mizutaphile.

Structure? :shrug:

Ildon wrote:
jackson wrote:No I'm not. So either I'm not :nutter: or we both are. :)
You're a strange dude. :hihi:

I think I'm definitely a little :nutter: today. :hihi:
Dude, it's Friday afternoon, I'm hungover and I'm stuck at work.

If that's not a good enough excuse to make strange posts, I don't know what is :lol:

God I need a beer.

Another quite interesting thread!

Often I have a groove first, or a melody or just a programmed patch and then.....
"It dreamed itself along"

Hink wrote:just follow it where it goes
Sorry Hink but zen advice isn't helping me right now ;)
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Take this track for example:

track 01

Its been on my hard drive for weeks now in this state. I don't know where to take it or where it wants me to take it. I don't have any other ideas for it, and at the moment its just any other finished track... but I want it to be closer to completion.

There lies my dilema.. I get a few ideas, but I can't seem to follow them through.

I think perhaps I listen to too much music.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote:I think perhaps I listen to too much music.
There's worse things you could do :lol:

;)

Amberience wrote:
that's not zen :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
Amberience wrote:
that's not zen :shrug:
lol, I know.

Amberience wrote:Take this track for example:

track 01

Its been on my hard drive for weeks now in this state. I don't know where to take it or where it wants me to take it. I don't have any other ideas for it, and at the moment its just any other finished track... but I want it to be closer to completion.

There lies my dilema.. I get a few ideas, but I can't seem to follow them through.

I think perhaps I listen to too much music.
Sometimes that happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes it happens and you can take the song further and it's just a matter of putting together another section and fixing the previous section to make it flow better. If you feel you can't take the song anywhere else and you've expressed yourself fully... then don't worry about unless the song is only a minute or minute and a half long (unless you're doing video game music.) :shrug:
Mizutaphile.

Amberience wrote:Its been on my hard drive for weeks now in this state. I don't know where to take it or where it wants me to take it. I don't have any other ideas for it, and at the moment its just any other finished track... but I want it to be closer to completion.

I quite liked this track Amberience, just thought it should've ended at 3.04/5 - No need to do anything else to it IMO!

Structure is one of the hardest things for me too. My advice for any1 would be to listen to your favourite tracks & summarise their structure & then try to emulate this - not to copy their work - just to get used to how your favourite tracks are structured. From here you can mix up different structures & perhaps make something up of your own. Still this is v.time consuming & hard work..

Amberience wrote:Take this track for example:

track 01

sounds mighty fine to me :-D - it probably won't help you much but I knew exactly where it would like to go with me... :hihi:

I think there solo is a bit shit though and doesn't fit there... - but that's just my opinion...

I don't know how... but I just got something I like with this track, a different section with a different feel to what's there currently, but for me, it still works.

Talk about coincidences!! I swear I've been trying to get something going to extend this track ... I think I've got something now.

jens wrote: I think there solo is a bit shit though and doesn't fit there... - but that's just my opinion...
I think I know what you mean. It was rushed and I don't like the tone of it at all. I think the actual notes themselves work, but it could maybe do with a different tone and some delay perhaps.

Return to “Music Theory”