thump at the beginning of the Eurythmics's 'Sweet Dreams...'

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Suggestion - don't over think it!

This hit isn't that special, it could be made out of several pre existing drummachine sounds with a little eq and pitch control. what are you going for? A total clone or ballpark? I'd suggest just playing with some old drum sounds and it should be easy to make.
----------
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. ~Mahatma Gandhi

I recall reading that the drums in that song were done with the extremely rare Movement Drum Computer, a crazy orange Commodore PET-looking thing... It used a combination of sampled & analogue-generated sounds... Ah, here's one: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... #msg_49561
Can't guarantee it was used for the "thump" specifically, though. I agree you can probably get pretty darn close without needing to track down anything that rare...

try all suggestions...try some of your own ideas...pick one or three, then someone will want to copy you....

Reverse Engineer wrote:
GW wrote:The bass drum sounds like a basketball being bounced.
I thought that myself. It does have that hollow sound a ball can make when bounced. More like one of those cheap vinyl kids balls than a basketball though.
That's how I always described the Linn LM-1 (or was it the LinnDrum?) kick sound that was all over '80s music. Every time I hear it I picture a kid bouncing a basketball in a driveway to the rhythm of the song.

Regarding the "Sweet Dreams" sound, to me it just sounds like the same kick but pitched down with a little gated reverb to make it sound bigger but cut off quickly.

Peel wrote:I recall reading that the drums in that song were done with the extremely rare Movement Drum Computer, a crazy orange Commodore PET-looking thing... It used a combination of sampled & analogue-generated sounds... Ah, here's one: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... #msg_49561
Can't guarantee it was used for the "thump" specifically, though. I agree you can probably get pretty darn close without needing to track down anything that rare...
I want one!
Do not lick the fablanky

Hello, my first posting (from Berlin).

Does anyone else hear the voice-sample layered with that kick sound in the beginning, with some reverb in/on it and the start truncated? I also think the kick itself is dry. Unusual envelope though, starts like a normal kick than decays more slowly like a bass note. Maybe layered or dynamics-processed?
But for me there's definitely a (female) voice present.

----
selVMarcus

welcom to KvR dude,
Marco :D

selvmarcus wrote:Hello, my first posting (from Berlin).

Does anyone else hear the voice-sample layered with that kick sound in the beginning, with some reverb in/on it and the start truncated? I also think the kick itself is dry. Unusual envelope though, starts like a normal kick than decays more slowly like a bass note. Maybe layered or dynamics-processed?
But for me there's definitely a (female) voice present.

----
selVMarcus
I didn't hear the voice...not that it isn't there.Might have another listen.

But I can agree with you on some other aspects of what your hearing.

My reply copied from 1st page;
It's a standard bass drum kick/thud with a very low synth note ontop of it.
I'd add also that the synth note sounds as if it has a compressor on it with a fast attack,fairly high attenuation ratio,and a long release,like 500ms.You can sometimes hear it expand upward 500ms after the note sounds.That expansion sounds along with the second sounding of the bass synth note doubled on the opposite channel.
The above ,I believe,is the effect that grabs your ears,and spawned this post.
(left channel) I think it may be the same prophet5 synth sound they are using for the synth bass,and then they have slowed it down somehow to get it to sound crunchy and deep.(don't forget the compression)

(right channel) The bass synth and maybe the slowed down synth sample are doubled.They may use a slapback delay on that one note,or just play it twice.(the kick is not slapped)

PS: The basketball court ambience you hear on the kick once or twice at the break before the song begins to fade is just at that break.
It's amazing to me how ppl can hear so many different things from a small 1-2sec section.
Some,I believe,hear the 1-2 time addition of ambience on the kick later on in the song and assume the kick is effected throughout the song.Just think ppl don't really listen,or think,but just want to see their opinions in writing.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

hey, as the original person who asked this question I have to say THANKS so much to everyone and all of the advice... I had gotten sort of close myself with various Reason set-ups but with these new ideas I can really give it another go... and as someone else posted, though I may not get the exact same sound, I will probably get something intersting and fun.

you folks are the best :hug: :D
Antec P-case, Asus motherboard, AMD Phenom, 16gbRAM, 4 Hard drives, Windows 7 Ultimate, MOTU 828mkIII, Komplete 8, Maschine, Reason 6, Cubase 6, Blue Sky monitors(and a powerbook).

Ahh the memories, bright red butch haircut, lyrics with a definite sub/dom theme to them, a snare that sounds like someone being spanked, all the while in the video Anne Lennex smacked her palm with a horse whip while decked out in a man's styled dark suit and tie. Yep that pretty much speaks for itself.
Stay in the glow.
Feed the glow.

s4w2th wrote:Ahh the memories, bright red butch haircut, lyrics with a definite sub/dom theme to them, a snare that sounds like someone being spanked, all the while in the video Anne Lennex smacked her palm with a horse whip while decked out in a man's styled dark suit and tie. Yep that pretty much speaks for itself.
...and your point would be? :P
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
s4w2th wrote:Ahh the memories, bright red butch haircut, lyrics with a definite sub/dom theme to them, a snare that sounds like someone being spanked, all the while in the video Anne Lennex smacked her palm with a horse whip while decked out in a man's styled dark suit and tie. Yep that pretty much speaks for itself.
...and your point would be? :P
They don't make 'em like they used to.

My wife looked over my shoulder as I was reading this thread. She said, "Oh, are those music nerds?"

This song is just SO darn good :hail:

Remember being in some stupid clothes shop when this song came through the store's puny speaker system and half of the store just stopped buying crappy clothes and started to listen instead :)

I think it's a very optimal tune
good sounds, simple programming and a very clear structure

study and learn, 10/10

I agree. Like Prince's "Kiss," shows what kind of power can come from a sparse arrangement.

Return to “Production Techniques”