Fabfilter Twin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, In one other thread in this forum
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2325995
I touched the same subject from a bit different angle. I wrote:

"I agree this point neverfall rose. Fabfilter has created very impressive "drag-to-the-point" -GUI but unfortunately very few can really use it. And this is not the user's fault but the developer's - I think that in most cases the customer is right. I suggest Fabfilter to make e.g. a min. 15 tutorial video of their plugin, in addition to the manuals they have made."

The point: musicians should spend more time making music and spend less time tweaking knobs.

Harry

I think the drag and drop works brilliantly on Timeless, but strangely I find it irritating on Twin. Maybe because I'd generally use more mod slots on a synth than a delay? Don't know, really.

I think it's an amazing and powerful interface for what it does, then there's the sound :love:

I got the whole Fabfilter collection from the LUG group buy. While neither One nor Twin is an immediate "go-to" synth for me, they have a unique character that is quite unlike anything else I've used. They certainly don't sound generic or lifeless to me.

FF One is much too basic for most up-front sounds, but I do get a kick out of taking it as far as it can go (I'm the same way with Logic's ES1). I guess it stems from how I started out on cheap 80s single-osc synths back in the day, and still take pride in getting the most out of simple gear.

This guy has some nice presets and some great music:

http://www.zoozither.com/patches.htm

Shane Sanders wrote:This guy has some nice presets and some great music:

Thanks Shane. Some very nice - I guess I
have to make a donation (btw, in this kind of cases, what is the reasonable sum of money to donate, what have you given?). Harry

I have ff one, and I use it a lot. Not that it makes too many different sounds, but I find a lot of uses for them. And the fact that it's dead easy to tweak helps out as well I suppose.

I also demo'd twin, and while I really liked the sound and the interface, I found out that all the presets I liked could easily be done with my korg vms-20. (this doesn't mean that they could all be done on the korg, just the ones I liked)

Harry_HH wrote:

have to make a donation (btw, in this kind of cases, what is the reasonable sum of money to donate, what have you given?). Harry
I hadn't noticed the PayPal button there before, but I gave him $10.

Nice UI ideas, actually very nice, and good filters... but there's something about the sound that just doesn't warm me. It's somehow shy or veiled, not in a cheap way but anyway lacking just a little bit of something. The LFO indicator blink was irritating. All in all not a bad synth with a well-tought interface, though I think it would benefit from more contrast and better colours.

Shane Sanders wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:

I hadn't noticed the PayPal button there before, but I gave him $10.
Helluva nice thing to do Shane! I really appreciate your words and your generosity!
Image Image

I dig it. The filters sound great. I think no onboard effects kills the immediate "wow" factor for a lot of sounds.

The GUi is immediately intuitive, though I wish for more constrast inthe gui (and prefer sliders as a rule)

I like it too.

dw

FF Twin edges-out Oatmeal as my most fun softsynth to play. I couldn't be happier with the sound of the osc's or the different filter models. The number of modulation destinations makes the synth very flexible, and I can see almost everything I need on one screen. The filters can sweeten or distort very aggressively and the unison can thicken any sound until it stands on its own. The absence of dedicated effects isn't a drawback at all, and challenges me to find the sound within the synth. The only niggle I have is with the envelopes, which are too clean and perfect. I'm looking for more options in the types of envelopes as well as some way to get them more plosive. I'll save my suggestions for FF's own forum.
Why not?

I totally agree with the envelopes. Having the power of Sytrus envelopes (with the HQ mode) and the FF Twin sound would be awesome. :D

Or simply some different "character" choises for the envelopes (though I'd prefer user drawable spline envelopes).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”