Does any company produce FM synths today (hardware)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You'd have to find one second hand, but how about a Yamaha DX-200? Seems to be kind of what you are looking for, FM with knobs. It doesn't have a keyboard though but I'm sure you probably have one right? Don't let the groovebox-like appearance set you off, it's a pretty nice synth.. loads DX-7 patches and has a resonant filter which most hardware FM synths forego.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

etherdesign wrote:You'd have to find one second hand, but how about a Yamaha DX-200? Seems to be kind of what you are looking for, FM with knobs. It doesn't have a keyboard though but I'm sure you probably have one right? Don't let the groovebox-like appearance set you off, it's a pretty nice synth.. loads DX-7 patches and has a resonant filter which most hardware FM synths forego.
Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion - I'll check this one out as I do have a controller keyboard.

etherdesign wrote:You'd have to find one second hand, but how about a Yamaha DX-200? Seems to be kind of what you are looking for, FM with knobs. It doesn't have a keyboard though but I'm sure you probably have one right? Don't let the groovebox-like appearance set you off, it's a pretty nice synth.. loads DX-7 patches and has a resonant filter which most hardware FM synths forego.
but it's a limited fm 6-op synth. the ops are all there (with algorithms) but you can edit just three. via midi and yamaha software included you can access the other ops and you even got graphic envelopes.
it's 16 voice polyphonic or 4 in unison and I friggin' love it.

Where can you buy the DX-200 nowadays?

Bay of E.

Of course, ye ol' ebay. None there at the moment though (UK)

There's a PC editor for the DX-200 I think. I had the brother, an AN-200, and there was certainly a PC editor for that. If I remember correctly, the editor reveals quite a lot of stuff that's not immediately apparent on the physical interface.

Plus, the DX-200 has lots of flashing lights ;)
Mild-mannered web designer by day - tired web designer by night.

Alesis Fusion workstations have got four synthesis types, including FM (besides Sample playback, Virtual Analog & Physical modeling). No idea of the number of operators it has.

Return to “Instruments”