Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fair enough. It's likely they have also noticed people choosing the Doepfer Dark Energy over say the Slim Phatty due to price. While the Minitaur doesn't offer the same flexibility (CV I/O), it's got a legacy that will be hard to resist. Plus it will act like a gateway drug to other Moog gear.

Anyway, I would want to demo Minitaur properly first to make sure it offers something unique over the Slim Phatty I use now.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Fair enough. It's likely they have also noticed people choosing the Doepfer Dark Energy over say the Slim Phatty due to price. While the Minitaur doesn't offer the same flexibility (CV I/O), it's got a legacy that will be hard to resist.
+ the possibilities of MIDI control over all the parameters ;)

Yeah, that's true. I just hope moog start developing their own "total integration" plugins rather than the buggy POS that's available for the phatties now.

Anyway, my local gear shop says Minitaur will be in stock on the 9th of March - my birthday. How lucky is that? :D

Peace,
Andy.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Anyway, my local gear shop says Minitaur will be in stock on the 9th of March - my birthday. How lucky is that? :D
Wow! That's pretty soon. I better start saving up my pennies :wink:

The Little/Slim Phatty as well as the Voygaer afaik is based on evolved moog tech. These weren't really aimed to recreate a classic synth as such.

The Taurus III and the Minitaur are faitful replications however, using modern components, of the Taurus I bass pedals.

I think it's pretty evident just from hearing those first demos of the Minitaur that it has a different character compared to the Voyager and the Phatty and for a lot of people the lack of features on the Minitaur when compared to the Phatty is made up by it's hands on control.

Just found this on Youtube ... from Sweetwater, apologies if you've seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmeCnf_VyA

The minitaur sounds good, nice options and midi integration. Does anyone know any UK prices yet?
simon

..... Wake up, Korg. This is what you should be doing instead of dipping your toes in with the fantastic but somewhat toy like Monotrons. I love the Monotrons but everyone knows you should be doing the full analogue MS-MINI synth :wink:
Last edited by Dogboy73 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebaggytrouseredone wrote:The minitaur sounds good, nice options and midi integration. Does anyone know any UK prices yet?
Digital Village have it on pre-order for £499. But I reckon if this is the retail then actual street might be cheaper ...... saying that, it's a Moog! You don't often find a great deal of price difference on new Moog stuff. But £499 seems like a decent price for a Moog synth despite its limitations. Can't wait to hear more. Give one to Richard divine & get him to do a demo :)

Sounds outstanding!! I also wonder how it will compare to my Slim Phatty....I probably do not need but I am definitely interested!! :)

So no filter keyboard tracking as far as I can tell. I guess there are folks working out how to mod it already.

cyberheater wrote:So no filter keyboard tracking as far as I can tell. I guess there are folks working out how to mod it already.
The original Taurus circuit doesn't have keyboard tracking, so no it won't have. Neither does the Taurus 3. To be honest, on the Taurus you hang around one octave a lot (due to the one octave pedal board), only switching for the occasional note outside that range, so you can see for the original design keyboard (or pedal in this case) tracking didn't make a lot of sense.

Also, given how big my pedals are they must have really squeezed that circuit board design down in order to get it in the Minitaur - I doubt you'd be able to mod it very easily.

Dogboy73 wrote:..... Wake up, Korg. This is what you should be doing instead of dipping your toes in with the fantastic but somewhat toy like Monotrons. I love the Monotrons but everyone knows you should be doing the full analogue MS-MINI synth :wink:
And that's where you're wrong. For most people that are used to soft synths, this is still pretty damn expensive. But with the Mono(s), people can afford to have real analog in their setup. It looks like Korg is working towards something more, but in the mean time, Korg will continue to have the cheaper, and therefore better selling, alternative to this.

djshire wrote:
Dogboy73 wrote:..... Wake up, Korg. This is what you should be doing instead of dipping your toes in with the fantastic but somewhat toy like Monotrons. I love the Monotrons but everyone knows you should be doing the full analogue MS-MINI synth :wink:
And that's where you're wrong. For most people that are used to soft synths, this is still pretty damn expensive. But with the Mono(s), people can afford to have real analog in their setup. It looks like Korg is working towards something more, but in the mean time, Korg will continue to have the cheaper, and therefore better selling, alternative to this.
I think that Korg have to move many more units to make a profit than Moog does. Moog is still a relatively small operation compared to Korg. Of course I don't know what the BOM cost vs. dealer cost vs. MAP cost is for Korg's or Moog's products, so I don't know what the margins are like. As always, I could be wrong.

Ultimately, I think Moog and Korg have different approaches to product development and focus on different market segments, so it doesn't make sense to compare the two.

Monotron USB is the correct next step, IMO.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”