Emulating Slate VCC with existing plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stevemac wrote:Hmmmm very tempting...

Whilst we're on the subject, I already have a [very] subtle master bus multi-band saturation setup. Again, using Alloy 2's tape or tube, 50% wet, maximum allowed drive of 4db. default setting on project startup is at 2db drive on each band (50% wet though)

I know there's no rules, but does anyone else do that? I have the same setup on each bus channel (drums, synths, FX etc). Tend to look to this method above compression more often than not.
I don't do this specifically. I will say that awhile ago on KVR, someone posted that the subtle effect of saturation on each channel adds up to an overall noticable effect in the master buss. I never thought of it before, but trying that has given me a good perspective on what to look out for when using saturation.

What I generally do with Alloy 2 is use its specific presets as a starting point for each channel in a track. For example, drums get the Alloy 2 drum preset/tweak treatment, bass gets the Alloy 2 bass preset/tweak, and so on.

And then, for me, Slate's FG-X goes on the master buss to really glue eveything together.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

FWIW, I do see what murnau is getting at (I think) which is that the VCC is intended to do something very well, which is emulate a functioning console. There is more to a console than just a collection of chained FX, and if you are trying to get "that sound" the best way to do it is just get "that plug" (which, again, currently on sale for $99 would be well worth your cash).

OTOH, the idea that the judicious use of certain FX treatments can mimic the general overall characteristics of a console is not a particularly wacky one. You may not be able to do it with precision, but I believe the OP's original question was more about whether the VCC's secret sauce is SIMILAR to a particular type of saturation, than whether you can faithfully reproduce VCC using Alloy2.

Given that our standard advice on KVR is "get to know the plugins you own first" before buying everything else, I think the question was quite reasonable.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Cheers guys, I figured that the main element of vcc is noise and distortion, which can be roughly emulated. If not exact, at least in the same ball park. What I probably can't do is the other subtleties that (from what I read) have knock on effects that a simply bit of saturation might not do.
Last edited by stevemac on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only when i discuss with some of my dear kvr-friends like kriminal but i can reassure you, you are not in the club. :)

ps. calling somebody else aggressive which was insulted by you as "real dick" a few post before.. :tu: keep up!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:only when i discuss with some of my dear kvr-friends like kriminal but i can reassure you, you are not in the club. :)

ps. calling somebody else aggressive which was insulted by you as "real dick" a few post before.. :tu: keep up!
Mate, you were being a bit of a dick, so I called you out on it. Your passive aggressive shit annoys me so I wanted to tell you.

why you edit (delete) your posts? is this the usual way you deal with things?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

No, i forgot to quote you and did not want the people helping think it was in response to them.

I have said it again so nothing to hide thanks.

Can we stop bickering and get on with the conversation. I have no idea why you waded in when I was asking something very reasonable.

stevemac wrote:Can we stop bickering and get on with the conversation. I have no idea why you waded in when I was asking something very reasonable.
no thanks. i said what had to be said. as a VCC owner i emphasise that your whole approach "Emulating Slate VCC with existing plugins" is ridiculous and not really worth to discuss further.

i guess your nearfields are that bad that you don't hear a difference especially in the low end.
also i wonder how you want to compare your results with what? just rhetoric no need to answer.
Last edited by murnau on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murnau wrote:
stevemac wrote:Can we stop bickering and get on with the conversation. I have no idea why you waded in when I was asking something very reasonable.
no thanks. i said what had to be said. as a VCC owner i emphasise that your whole approach "Emulating Slate VCC with existing plugins" is ridiculous and not really worth to discuss further.
Do you think that kind of answers helps anyone other than your own ego?

f**k this, internet arguing is for 14 year olds. Thanks to those with some really useful input.

lol @marnau

seriously man? This is how you choose to spend your time?

stillshaded wrote:lol @marnau

seriously man? This is how you choose to spend your time?
seriously man? i'm looking soccer and this is a side job. and you? :D

Someone should inform murnau that some idiot is posting the most ridiculous nonsense and using his name. murnau should take immediate action before his reputation is ruined!

stevemac wrote:What I probably can't do is the other subtleties that (from what I read) have knock on effects that a simply bit of saturation might not do.
really? now that makes me wonder. :ud:

I don't know if other hosts can do it, but in Reaper there's "parameter modulation".

Insert a pink noise plugin on a channel, insert an EQ and compressor or transient bender behind it. Set them to a noisy, bassy/trebly (mid-atten) and snappy sound.

Then parameter-modulate the wet/dry parameter of each plugin with the input volume.

Instant dynamic analogue console sound. ;)
[You obviously need to run a signal through this FX chain!]

EDIT: the big advantage of this system is, that you could add waaaay quiet sends from each channel to its neighbouring channels and simulate crosstalk, which would be something I betcha not many plugins do. ;)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Effects”