Composition: Inspiration vs Perspiration?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TBH, while I typically have stuff going on 24/7, I have wetter spells than others, meaning that there are times where I'm not finding the smooth path to realizing an idea. And I do have to lay some real crap out there and stumble around a bit. But I don't mind stepping far away from process as well, and I have an instinct now when I've laid down a track I'm going to need to distance myself from and get a fresh perspective.

I'm not qualified to really speak to how you stay 'in it' with lyrics. I had a facility with 'lyrics' or poetry before I got writing music very together, but it was never something I felt driven to manufacture. So I believe that did rather rely on inspiration than a method or discipline.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:TBH, while I typically have stuff going on 24/7, I have wetter spells than others, meaning that there are times where I'm not finding the smooth path to realizing an idea. And I do have to lay some real crap out there and stumble around a bit. But I don't mind stepping far away from process as well, and I have an instinct now when I've laid down a track I'm going to need to distance myself from and get a fresh perspective.

I'm not qualified to really speak to how you stay 'in it' with lyrics. I had a facility with 'lyrics' or poetry before I got writing music very together, but it was never something I felt driven to manufacture. So I believe that did rather rely on inspiration than a method or discipline.
Paul Simon says he usually writes the melody first and the words follow. He articulates it pretty well in an interview with Tom Moon if anyone wants to Google it for ideas. Hope that helps.

Every time I write lyrics first, it's a problem getting them to fit with whatever melody I think will compliment them. So I understand that aspect of his approach. He's got more to say on how the sound suggests the words he comes up with.

Again, thanks for sharing your views on this topic.

I often write lyrics first, but usually it's the music. Keith Richards, in his autobio, said that he'd just start singing nonsense to the music, until something coherent popped out of his unconscious.

I've been mostly noodling around on my guitars, as well as doodling around with my softsynths. I often come up with decent ideas to begin with, but when I try to develop them, they go nowhere. I guess I need to roll up my sleeves and just do it.

Cheers,

Bombadillo.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:Keith Richards, in his autobio, said that he'd just start singing nonsense to the music, until something coherent popped out of his unconscious.
Bono does the same thing! :o

AudioPhile2 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Keith Richards, in his autobio, said that he'd just start singing nonsense to the music, until something coherent popped out of his unconscious.
Bono does the same thing! :o
Phil Collins does as well.

You can see a bit here with Genesis (see at the 7:10 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... UHH8#t=366

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”