Budget mic - expert advice sought!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote:being a musician and not getting into gear-lust -
isn't that a contradiction? :?

:hihi:
I know!

I try sooo hard to be good...

:D

pough wrote:I have also heard good things about the Oktava 319 - you can get it at jrrshop for $99.99 USD...
Yeah - I've lusted after the Oktava's for a while. Unfortunately, my budget is EVEN tighter than that.

Looks like the Red5 so far - can't really go wrong for that price!

(Come to daddy, you lovely little microphone...)

pough wrote:I have also heard good things about the Oktava 319 - you can get it at jrrshop for $99.99 USD...
also the Oktava mk319 is worth a look at...

edit: Yes, Pough - five posts above yours :wink: :P
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:edit: Yes, Pough - five posts above yours :wink: :P
What, you think I read your posts? :P

:x :x :x

:lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

OK, even if this is WAY over your budget for now, you should perhaps wait for some while and get some Studioprojects C1. Some people rate it as good as Neumann's U87.
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/c1.html

Price over here is 229.00 € - yes, as said, way over your budget, but a friend of mine bought some of those blindfolded following my tip, and he still wants to kiss my feet for that advice (and believe me, that won't be too much fun!).
Seriously, for that kind of quality the price is a laugh, and you defenitely won't regret it for a minute, especially since you're planning to record acoustic guitars.

Personally, I will wait until I can afford one of these - but then, lucky chap that I am, I have a Rode NT3 that I can borrow until eternity it seems (I'm not too much impressed by it when recording acoustic guitars, btw.).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

thanks Sascha - the C1 is another object of desire. I may well buy one soon, but unfortunately I need something even cheaper, now.

I've read the U-87 comparisons, and it does sound very appealing. Plus it looks pretty sexy too!

I'm buying mics in 3 phases:

1: the one I'm asking about now - my no-frills studio dogsbody
2: drum kit mics
3: delicious vocal mic

Well, I heard rather good things about Behringers B1.
Never seen (or heard) it in action though. But as I am no Mr. Golden Ears that won't matter anyways.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Listen to the vox in this "clip"

Recorded with a "Shure BG" mic.

Think it had a pricetag of about $80.
I didn´t use the best quality cabling either.

mindless wrote:Listen to the vox in this "clip"

Blimey! The vocal's obviously processed, but the source recording* must have been pretty good in the first place!

Erm...got any tunes with an acoustic guitar recorded using the same mic? :oops:

*and the singer!

Oh aye, dynamic mics are great for vocals, particularly if you can be a bit of a loud bastard :lol: , But you wouldn't really want to record an accoustic geetar to a hi-fi level with em cos the frequncy responce usually only goes up to 14k or so, not good for that percussive strumming sound.

donkey tugger wrote:

Oh aye, dynamic mics are great for vocals, particularly if you can be a bit of a loud bastard :lol: , But you wouldn't really want to record an accoustic geetar to a hi-fi level with em cos the frequncy responce usually only goes up to 14k or so, not good for that percussive strumming sound.
condenser...condenser...condenser... :smack: :oops:

Besides the fx, only thing on the vox was some comp and eq to make it sitt in the mix.
And yes, dynamic mics are slow and as such some trancients will get lost.
But the vocalist (who´s a friend of mine btw) has a real powerfull voice so there was no probs.

mindless wrote:Besides the fx, only thing on the vox was some comp and eq to make it sitt in the mix.
And yes, dynamic mics are slow and as such some trancients will get lost.
But the vocalist (who´s a friend of mine btw) has a real powerfull voice so there was no probs.
really? sounded like a fair bit of reverb too. Although I am listening on laptop speakers (duh! :oops: ).

Can't really go wrong with a good vocalist though!

A word from the oldskool: get Sure SM-58 and you won't regret it. It's a superb vocal mic, and you can record instruments with it, especially drums, it's an indestructable mic ;-). Next, if you spare enough money, Rode NT-1A is around 300$ and it's worth every cent of it, and you can record everything with it.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”