Elektron Digitakt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

db3 wrote:Now available to preorder. Not impressed by somewhat inflated price and new option to purchase "premium" Overbridge.

https://www.elektron.se/products/digitakt/

for the first 1.5 years of an Elektron product's life cycle, you should consider your purchase a 'preorder' ... you're basically beta testing the unit for that time period, until they get it operating as per advertising spec. Be an Elektron early adopter at your own risk, and be prepared to accept the fact of experiencing many bugs and sending many bug reports. Sometimes even hardware issues (see: paint peeling issues, razor sharp edging on faceplate issues)

I say this as a current owner of three of their flagship products (five if you include peripherals, six if you include selling a MDuw mk i to upgrade to mk ii), and a long, long time Elektron User going back to the launch of the MDuw mk i. (not to mention the TE OP-1, though that's obviously an off-shoot)

I'm not an Elektron 'hater' by any means, on the contrary, but I will never buy anything they make until it has been on the shelves for at the very least 1.5 years... because experience.

The Overbridge 'Premium' thing is tacky, really tacky imo considering the typically high pricing of the hardware. First question that comes to mind is if this 'premium' license is transferrable, or if this isn't just a way of taxing used sales (besides the obvious gouging element). Second question is, going forward, is there going to be an 'Overbridge Premium' for new/other products ? or will one 'Premium' license apply for all your 'Premium' capable Elektron hardware ? Given the wording, it seems like it might be a specific license per product.

Looking at the 'revised' price (850 euro, all in, instead of 650 - and the possibility that you may not be able to sell/transfer your 'overbridge premium' license) ... its appeal, based on pricing, has really shifted from the low/mid budget market to mid/high.

For this kind of pricing, they may as well have gone the extra mile and just developed an Octatrack II.

At any rate, I'll be keeping an eye on this product of course, maybe it's all kinds of amazing and as such amounts to the bargain of the century. But as always with Elektron, regardless of how moist the fanbase are, my jets will be well and truly cooled until 1.5 years from the first units being dispatched.

Overbridge Premium, huh? I could swear all that functionality was free a few weeks ago when I bought my Analog RYTM.

Oh, and I had some paint flake off the side while trying to install side mounts to tilt it up and there was paint on the threads, which made screwing anything in almost impossible. I thought I was going to have to get a tap and die set.

Anyway, I'm glad Overbridge wasn't central to my purchase decision, otherwise I'd be pissed at having to suddenly pay a premium for it.

masterhiggins wrote:Why they f**k can't I use the midi sequencer to control other devices with my much more expensive analog rytm? It's slightly annoying.
That's why I passed on the RYTM.... I'm all over this though!!!

200 more than the estimated price? And from what I can see, they didn't add any functionality from when they announced it at that estimated price.. Seems really steep, especially since this was supposed to be their first foray into 'affordable' products, and then to make is usable as advertised you have to plonk down for a premium version of Overbridge on top of that? That's pretty shitty.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Head on over to Perfect Circuit Audio today. Just ordered mine and they let me use their St Paddy's Day coupon on it. Grand total was like $585.

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/ele ... itakt.html

My wife is going to kill me.

asnor wrote:Overbridge Premium, huh? I could swear all that functionality was free a few weeks ago when I bought my Analog RYTM.

Oh, and I had some paint flake off the side while trying to install side mounts to tilt it up and there was paint on the threads, which made screwing anything in almost impossible. I thought I was going to have to get a tap and die set.

Anyway, I'm glad Overbridge wasn't central to my purchase decision, otherwise I'd be pissed at having to suddenly pay a premium for it.
I might be wrong here - but after reading on Elektronauts I got the impression that Overbridge Premium will be for free for AR and A4 users, but for users of Digitakt they get a "lite" version and have to pay to get the full version. I also got the impression that users who own AR/A4 can don't have to buy anything else for Digitakt since they already have the full version.

But I'm not 100 on that. Can't wait for release so I can figure out what this thing really is. Nobody seem to know with certainty - and Elektron enjoys being cryptic as usual.

/C
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

This machine looks pretty cool, but don't know how much I want yet another machine i gotta really dig into manuals to understand.

Already gotta do that with my mv8800, Little DeFormer 2, and Spectralis 2

Sometimes I like to dig into complicated instruments, and sometimes I just want to crank out beats on something fun and intuitive.

Anyone got hands on yet that hasn't had to crack the manual a bunch just to get basic workflow?

I'm intrigued by the price for the amount of features it has. I don't use a PC anymore so not interested in Overbridge stuff.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well you guys are little more upbeat than the Youtube comments, who thought it was complete garbage since it doesn't sample in stereo.. It's a drum machine.. Never argue with people in Youtube comments though. The guy was telling me that electronic music producers don't use mono drums anymore LMAO.. I guess it's just one guy buying all those old Roland machines for $2000+.. Then he said just to use some Goldbaby samples, like those offer near the amount of functionality as this, it's insanely powerful and nothing really like it for drums, it even does f**king granular.. Anyways rant over.

@Wormhelmet I don't have this one YET but I do have an A4 and you can do some really awesome stuff like per note effects, a different patch on every step, and parameter locks allow you to do some really crazy stuff. Check out the video, for $600 it's an absolute no brainer for me, but I need a drum machine.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”