Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It'll be end of this year, if they continue their product cycle. And i can't see them not doing so.

Googly Smythe wrote: In the interests of balance, I can't remember the last time Cubase crashed (currently Pro 9.5.30, Win 10 Pro (1083 17134.191))
Last edited by topaz on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

topaz wrote:Read my post, I said "it may only be the mac version"

Saying it works for you adds little to improving things for others does it.
Googly Smythe wrote: In the interests of balance, I can't remember the last time Cubase crashed (currently Pro 9.5.30, Win 10 Pro (1083 17134.191)).
I agree. However...
When a person describes a piece of software as a "crash fest" it can easily be inferred that the software will be so for everyone. Hence the phrase "in the interests of balance".
Besides, I wasn't trying to help, I was addressing anyone else reading this thread.

Googly Smythe wrote: I agree. However...
When a person describes a piece of software as a "crash fest" it can easily be inferred that the software will be so for everyone. Hence the phrase "in the interests of balance".
Besides, I wasn't trying to help, I was addressing anyone else reading this thread.
Last edited by topaz on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

lfm wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'd like to see:

3. Fix the window/title bar behavior in Windows. Why does it hang out with the desktop in the background after I think I've closed Cubase?
I you think about just top menu bar then desktop - this is the cure:
a) start Cubase and then maximize window
b) do whatever you do, opening project etc
c) when done working close project as usuall on X or on menu.
d) Now the workspace is still there
e) when closing Cubase, next startup will show maximized window from start.

So unless you restore window normal size and close Cubase - you will never see top bar menu+desktop through again.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get that to work? It's not a huge deal for me, so just curious. While working in Cubase, the window situation is great (SOOOOO much better than it used to be), but having the menu bar left to close separately is a little odd. Like they are trying to mimic the (inferior, IMO) behavior of Mac windowing on the Windows side?
I hoped they with 64-bit audio engine in 9.5 also fixed SRC quality, not being worst in class among main daws. But no it seems:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/

I still do all those externally with any other software like r8brain or similar.

I tested myself with Cubase 9.0 and this was the result for THD and IMD:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Auw5dk599Qm6gRxatApeq0ZdWtls

Old Sonar 8.5 and r8brain and reference RMAA test - with Cubase.
So guess this is still the same. Even Steinberg WaveLab do better inline with rest of competition - artifacts below -140 dB or so.

So that Cubase did not fix anything in 12 years on this - really bad. Reaper has improved with every major version since then.

For me it just tells a story about Cubase not being all professional tool. You should just rely on Cubase at import or export do best possible SRC algo.
Honestly, that's all extremely nitpicky. I know people love to go on about SNR and distortion, but we're talking about a problem that only the very best audiophiles with great systems will ever notice, or care about, at WORST. Considering Cubase is the most used DAW out there (don't have official numbers, but I'm guessing based on most polls and general knowledge of the industry), I'd say people are producing thousands of tracks every day and the noise "issues" aren't a problem.

Which is probably why Steinberg, if there really IS an issue, doesn't care either. It's not something most Cubase users ever think about or care about.

Not saying your arguments are invalid. Or that you are wrong in any way. Honestly, I haven't checked out the tests and don't particularly feel the need to. If something is actually broken, they should fix it. I just don't know that it's a big enough issue to claim it isn't all professional.

And I couldn't care less whether Reaper has improved this with every version. That certainly isn't a sign of what's professional or not, right? They have their own set of issues that haven't been addressed for years. So all DAWs have things that get left for one reason or another.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I'd venture to guess that what's actually going on is most users, myself included, don't do a lot of sample rate conversion. Track at 44.1khz, and export at the same. If I were going to do some SRC, I'd take the extra effort to use R8Brain knowing how bad Cubase is at that particular task. If Steinberg took it upon themselves to improve this, it'd be great, but the real-world use cases for me are few and far between.

For me, Cubase Pro 9.5 is amazing. After a very long, drawn out journey back and forth from various hosts (including Cubase multiple times), I've never been happier. They have literally addressed most of my biggest complaints over the last three or four versions, and the power is unmatched IMO.

If I were to request some new features, I would want bezier curves everywhere, a few more drag and drop features (though they have improved here, and it's become a minor issue), a rework of VST Expression maps to be easier to set up and use, and implementing ARA (which they may never do because of Variaudio, but one can hope).

I'd love to see more generative composition features as well, just to have some fun with.

I actually love the Cubase 9.5 interface and hope they don't mess with it too much. It's very unified, very clean and customizable, and everything is well thought-out, IMO. So I hope they evolve the interface and not revolutionize it.

Brent

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'd venture to guess that what's actually going on is most users, myself included, don't do a lot of sample rate conversion. Track at 44.1khz, and export at the same. If I were going to do some SRC, I'd take the extra effort to use R8Brain knowing how bad Cubase is at that particular task. If Steinberg took it upon themselves to improve this, it'd be great, but the real-world use cases for me are few and far between.
I agree. I'm not suggesting it isn't an issue for ANYONE, or that opinions on it aren't valid. Just that it doesn't matter to the majority of users.

Considering that most new features in the last three versions have actually been directly from their user polls they have conducted, I'm guessing that if enough users were speaking up, they would address it. But there just aren't enough where it matters to them, so other issues and features come first. It always stinks when YOUR feature isn't addressed. But overall, they have been doing a great job of listening to users.

Brent

Well @topaz, I use Cubase 9.5 on mac daily and like googly smythe mine hardly crashes.

But I can give you my word if you send me either here or via pm the repro how to get cubase to crash from MB or Groove Agent 4 and I can repro it, I will guarantee to you, that Steinberg Developers will see it by Monday.

Your call.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Well @topaz, I use Cubase 9.5 on mac daily and like googly smythe mine hardly crashes.

But I can give you my word if you send me either here or via pm the repro how to get cubase to crash from MB or Groove Agent 4 and I can repro it, I will guarantee to you, that Steinberg Developers will see it by Monday.

Your call.
rsp
Last edited by topaz on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

topaz wrote:Ok cool, will try to recreate it I can say it was very random.

Media crashing while adding removing samples, mirrored in audiofinder with no issue.

And using specific midi learn functions in GE4.
zvenx wrote:Well @topaz, I use Cubase 9.5 on mac daily and like googly smythe mine hardly crashes.

Your call.
rsp

ok, just work out a repro to make it happen guaranteed..... OR if you have any crashlogs of when it happens. If you pm me, I can give you my email address and you can send those logs to me and I will get them to SB developers by Monday.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:[

ok, just work out a repro to make it happen guaranteed..... OR if you have any crashlogs of when it happens. If you pm me, I can give you my email address and you can send those logs to me and I will get them to SB developers by Monday.

rsp
Last edited by topaz on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

topaz wrote:pm'd crash logs

zvenx wrote:[

rsp
got them.
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

I just hate the steep costs they charge for the 'major' updates. End up paying thousands of dollars for the one product. Love Cubase, though!

After trying a demo of Bitwig I'd love it if Cubase included something like the modulators. I know you can achieve much the same thing with automation but it's just so much quicker in Bitwig.

The audio overlay on MIDI tracks is nice too.

I'd like a bit more functionality & modulation within the sampler tracks - I have Halion 6 so it's easy to send it off to a full blown sampler but just a little bit more would be great.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”