How good are Hornet Plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 pm A general concern with Hornet is that he is approaching a Melda-volume of plugins with similar functionality.
Nearly impossible to beat Melda in terms of the amount of plugins! :lol:

I have the Melda Creative FX Bundle and a few others but not MCharacter and not MAutoVolume!

Incredible how many plugins Vojtech Meluzin made in these several years where I wasn't here at KVR! :o
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Double Post...

But I've never heard about batch file processing of the Melda MAutoVolume. Where is these information?
TheNoodlist wrote:Another feature of Melda MAutoVolume registered version, is the ability to batch level match a folder or group of files outside of the DAW
:help:

Frantz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 pmI don't want to spend 3 hours trying to figure which Hornet plugin to download and try.
That's exactly why I made this thread to get a few clues what's worth to test! :)

6 years ago I bought Magnus compressor and Sybilla de-esser (and forgot to use them) but in the meantime there are so many new plugins! :o

Tricky-Loops wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:51 pm But I've never heard about batch file processing of the Melda MAutoVolume. Where is these information?
I think he meant MLoudnessAnalyzer which has batch auto-gain and is apparently free!

https://www.meldaproduction.com/downloa ... alyzer.pdf

I like the Hornet stuff and have the bulk of them as they are super reasonable price-wise. I often
just buy them to support Saverio, but they are good too, and typically pretty efficient cpu-wise
for me.

Frantz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 pm
Tricky-Loops wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:51 pm But I've never heard about batch file processing of the Melda MAutoVolume. Where is these information?
I think he meant MLoudnessAnalyzer which has batch auto-gain and is apparently free!

https://www.meldaproduction.com/downloa ... alyzer.pdf
Ah that explains it, in the description of MLoudnessAnalyzer I indeed read about batch processing!

I downloaded the free FX Bundle, too, so I should find it somewhere...

I didn't even test all effects in my CreativeFX bundle, way too many! :o

ggg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hornet makes really good stuff IMO. I have several of their plugins and no problems bugwise ever. I think they're very underpriced sometimes.

Tricky-Loops wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:45 pm Are the other Tonebooster plugins great, too?
Yes, ToneBoosters makes top notch stuff for the most part. I have the V3 bundles and can't wean myself off regardless of how many other more modern and expensive plugins I have. TB Flx3 is still my favorite visual EQ for mixing, comfortably benching Hornet Total EQ, all the Izotope stuff, all the Waves stuff, etc. Just wish the window was resizable to make it larger.

The de-esser is in another league from anything else I've tried. If I had to pick between the entire Waves Silver bundle or the TB Sibalance de-esser, it would be the easiest choice. TB Sibalance is pretty much on anything I do, including dialog or video edits.

It's easier to tell you what I don't like by TB. I'm not into the reverb that comes with the v3 bundles, although version 4 is a massive upgrade and also affordable for the quality.

About the pricing... if you're a dev who mainly provides mixing tools, it's probably not such a bad idea to price your stuff in the no-brainer area of an overcrowded market. I'm sure many of you have a bulging plugin folder stuffed to the brim with compressors and EQs. Whenever Plugin Alliance releases yet ANOTHER of these, for instance, I invariably sigh and roll my eyes. I'm at a point where I wouldn't spend more than 20 Euros on something, unless it's the bee's knees.
Imagine my surprise, then, to find the SW34EQ, which I put through its paces during a mixing session, comparing it to the usual subjects. Man, that EQ is so damn sweet. It's really comparable to one of my personal favourites, the PSP NobleQ, smooth and pleasant. The tape is actually pretty good, too, if you're into the subtle side of tape emulation.
On the whole, I'd say if you were to mix solely with Hornet plugins, you'd be so well covered that any flaws in your mix will definitely be your own. The sales are annoying, but predictable - nobody takes PA's regular prices seriously anymore, so why should Hornet be any different?

A) they’re as good as the person who uses them ;)
B) I regularly use tape on drums, the SW34EQ, the Multicomp - although it got replaced by TrackComp2 nowadays - , VUmeter, I have others that I use sometimes, and some that I have but rarely use.

IMO the most biggest “flaws” in Hornet plugins are often the user interfaces. It’s just obvious that Saverio is no graphic designer by trade. The UIs are mostly rather usable (apart from the dreaded SW34EQ2), but they tend to look a bit cheap-ish and amateurish. But despite that they’re easy to use and cost a couple of bucks, so no problem.

I think I never had problems with bugs, but then I never buy the plugins when they’re newly released. Also, from what I get, Saverio is usually pretty responsive and fast with fixes.

fese wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:15 am IMO the most biggest “flaws” in Hornet plugins are often the user interfaces. It’s just obvious that Saverio is no graphic designer by trade. The UIs are mostly rather usable (apart from the dreaded SW34EQ2), but they tend to look a bit cheap-ish and amateurish. But despite that they’re easy to use and cost a couple of bucks, so no problem.
On point :tu: although I wouldnt say that the UI's are "amateurish". The look is a bit rough and unbalanced. I think he would get a lot more attention if he would team up with a good UI designer (and also reworks his Website/Coorporate Design). The overall appearance is not very professional ... same for his youtube tutorials :oops:

Multicomp Plus MK2 is one of my absolute favorites :tu: It's one of his pricier plugins, but for a good reason. The FET mode is :love: :love: :love: It's one of the few compressors that can go into extreme territories (perfect for electronic music).

Thanks for all replies so far!

The GUI could be much better. The praised 31 (Auto)Equalizer looks a bit like a Tetris game on the Commodore 64! :lol:

The Tonebooster plugins make a better impression to my eyes! I only have very old 32 bit versions from 8 years ago, I should buy one of the 64 bit bundles and some plugins, one after another.

But I might buy the one or other recommended Hornet plugin at the next sale, too.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu May 05, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tricky-Loops wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 pm
Frantz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 pm A general concern with Hornet is that he is approaching a Melda-volume of plugins with similar functionality.
Nearly impossible to beat Melda in terms of the amount of plugins! :lol:
no. making multiple eqs, comps, reverbs and filtes and calling them spectral/turbo/LE/whatever isn't that hard + additionally doubling the amount of plugins by making them multiband.

when i don't find a plugin at fabfilter or toneboosters i usually look at hornet because i know it works and usually is cheap for what it does.

Return to “Effects”