Jesse Washmon Playing Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yinwang0 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:04 am If you don't want to touch the pitch bend code in the firmware, it is better to have the botton side close to you, so that if you slide downwards, it will bend the pitch down. This is more intuitive than the other direction.
Its also better regarding the cables...
I do like the third tuning with this setup. Like with sixth tuning the octaves are lined up clearly, you span a grand and get enough doubled keys for bisbigliando playing...
I could imagine to be included somehow into the official firmware...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:58 am Its also better regarding the cables...
I do like the third tuning with this setup. Like with sixth tuning the octaves are lined up clearly, you span a grand and get enough doubled keys for bisbigliando playing...
I could imagine to be included somehow into the official firmware...
Right, because 12 can be devided by 3 and 6, so third tuning and tritone tuning will be exact rectangles. If I play all the way up several octaves, I may get lost in fourth tuning, but the rectangles for third and tritone tunings are stacked right on top, so it seems easier to find.

For this vertical setup, I actually made it more general. I added a slider called "column offset" (call it V) to global settings. Together with "row offset" (call it H, found by long pressing +octave), we can express a good variety of tunings on LinnStrument.

For example, the fourths tuning is specified by "V:+5 H:+1", which means "If you go up one row, increase 5 semitones. If you go right one column, increase 1 semitone."

A horizontal thirds tuning can be expressed by "V:+4 H:+1". Vertical thirds tuning can be expressed as "V:-1 H:+4". If label facing you, then it is "V:1 H:-4".

Interestingly, because the numbers can be negative, this can express "left hand mode" or "upside down mode" easily. Left-hand mode of LinnStrument can be expressed as "V:+5 H:-1". Upside down mode is "V:-5 H:1".

I also have a strange way of play. I put LinnStrument horizontally but the octaves are rotated 90 degrees.
IMG_5564.jpg
This can be expressed as "V:1 H:4".

I'm still playing with the settings. When it gets mature and people like it, maybe Roger can let it into official firmware?

I will post a seperate post explaining all this later on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yinwang0 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:04 am
hariossa wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:56 pm Very interesting, thank you, that way it will work just like a fretted instrument, if you slide horizontally you move chromaticaly and if you slide vertically you bend the note. I think I'll give it a try.
That is a good way of thinking about it. Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

Now I can think of it as if every key has a pitch bend wheel attached to it. So after hitting any key, you can just slide up or down to bend it. Interestingly this works with any pitch bend range. You can decide how large the "wheel" is.

If you don't want to touch the pitch bend code in the firmware, it is better to have the botton side close to you, so that if you slide downwards, it will bend the pitch down. This is more intuitive than the other direction.

IMG_5620.jpeg
So, what happens to timbre (Y axis) modulation? Can it still be used in the "normal" way?

minorAfno wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:49 pm So, what happens to timbre (Y axis) modulation? Can it still be used in the "normal" way?
This simple way of vertical tuning just changes how notes are arranged, but doesn't change anything else. So the "old X axis" and "old Y axis" still works in the normal way. If you place LinnStrument with buttons close to you, then slide up/down will bend, left/right will modulate.

yinwang0 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:33 pm
minorAfno wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:49 pm So, what happens to timbre (Y axis) modulation? Can it still be used in the "normal" way?
This simple way of vertical tuning just changes how notes are arranged, but doesn't change anything else. So the "old X axis" and "old Y axis" still works in the normal way. If you place LinnStrument with buttons close to you, then slide up/down will bend, left/right will modulate.
All right, thank you. I'm curious, maybe I will try.

yinwang0 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:51 pm I'm still playing with the settings. When it gets mature and people like it, maybe Roger can let it into official firmware?
Hi Yin,
It would be tricky to do so because it's a bit of a kludge and doesn't tie into the touch expression capabilities well. It's important to me to not add too many low-use features because I want to keep LinnStrument's software as bug-free as possible. That's why Geert and I opened the source code. If you want to see my statement of guiding principal for adding new features, visit the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ: "Can you add this feature?".
But I'll watch the progress and see how widely it is used. And I thank you for your efforts and for helping others experiment with these alternative ways of using LinnStrument.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 am Hi Yin,
It would be tricky to do so because it's a bit of a kludge and doesn't tie into the touch expression capabilities well. It's important to me to not add too many low-use features because I want to keep LinnStrument's software as bug-free as possible. That's why Geert and I opened the source code. If you want to see my statement of guiding principal for adding new features, visit the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ: "Can you add this feature?".
But I'll watch the progress and see how widely it is used. And I thank you for your efforts and for helping others experiment with these alternative ways of using LinnStrument.
No worried Roger. I know the change is a bit strange. I was just having fun with the code, also because I wanted to play something like Jesse did (although I have a long way to go ;) ). Since some people are interested and the code with settings part is not very simple, maybe I can just send a patch or share it on GitHub.

Thank you for open source the code. It feels so good to have a hackable instrument :)

Yes, please do share your code edit. I’m sure others would appreciate it. And thanks for making it.

How do I apply this to my Linnstrument? I'm so confused but would like the setup. And sorry...I was referring to Isogrand tuning rar file but I messed up posting this....oh well story of my life

jwashmon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 am Use bome midi translator for PC or Midiflow for ios. Presets are attached below.

Be sure to set your Linnstrument to ChPerRow.

Thanks for all the support, really means a lot.

Jesse
How do I apply this setting? Thanks!

Hi all,

On my "LinnStrument Tips & Tricks" page (accessed from the LinnStrument Support page), I have added the tip "Playing LinnStrument in a vertical Orientation", which provides information about all current methods of doing that, including links to this and another forum thread.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”