Your approach to transposing?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By the way if you learn the major and minor scale patterns, you've got at least 90% or more modern music covered. Learn the major pattern first. Lowering the third, sixth, and seventh degrees of the major scale by one semitone (note) gives you natural minor. Also most theory suggests everything is considered an alteration/deviation from the major scale.

As an improvisor, I'm thinking patterns, and NOT note names or formulas.

Worthwhile things are definitely worth the effort, if it were quick and easy, everyone would be able to be a star/hero.

Less lights is the way to go. I find it confusing to light all white keys. With less lights its easier to learn the shapes. And on top its easier with the tritone layout. I have straight columns of blue for C and yellow for A. To move to a different key is a snap compared to any other instrument…
A good exercise is improvising on Jamey Aebersold…

Before, I used blue lights on C, D♯, F♯, and A, but now I no longer use any. I remember scales by finger patterns, and have a mental map for the diatonic scale. I do not have other mental maps for any other scales at the moment. One of the unpublished documents I have written, pending review from Miles, provides a fretboard diagram for the diatonic scale using the tritone layout, which is the basis for my finger pattern memorization and mental map.

Fannon wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:30 pm This sounds like a really interesting feature and is essentially what I was doing via the Octave/Transpose button. However, I was a bit surprised that the transpose lights feature not only moves the light but also transposes the pitch. For me personally, it felt a better compromise to not change the pitch of the notes behind the pads, but only move the light pattern.
My Linnstrument haven’t arrived yet, but as someone who is basically a complete beginner I would also appreciate an easy way to highlight different scales until I’ve developed muscle memory for the different patterns. Transposing things sounds advanced and I don’t think I’ll try that in my first year even. 😅

eobet wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:37 pm ... as someone who is basically a complete beginner I would also appreciate an easy way to highlight different scales until I’ve developed muscle memory for the different patterns.
Manual:

Panel Settings --> Global Settings --> Note Lights On/Off --> Scale Select

___

To which end, when you have the LinnStrument sitting in front of you, I highly recommend reading through the very thorough and well-penned manual, page by page, starting with the Panel Settings section. Bookmark this link:

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... l-settings

The LinnStrument is very easy to get to grips with, if you take the time to understand it.

Cheers!

I guess I could have made it more clear but what I wrote (and the quoted message, I think) was in response to this:
Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:01 pm a new “Transpose” option for the Low Row, performing the same function as “Transpose Pitch” in the Octave/Transpose screen but doing it instantly during play by touching a pad in the Low Row.
I just didn’t want to quote the man himself as my first post on this forum… but here we are. 😄

Although from lurk reading previously, I suspect that’s probably now entering the too-many-new-functions-without-being-able-to-update-the-text-labels territory…

(Though at least for the 200, there’s room to apply more text via a sticker which those who want could apply themselves...)

I already said this earlier in this thread, Lord knows I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a thousand times more if I have to...

The LinnStrument is a musical instrument, designed to be played, first and foremost; so, you could (and indeed you should) transpose as any other musician would on any other instrument: i.e. by simply playing in a different key without the paint-by-numbers approach.

That was the vision anyway.

As a beginner, now is your chance to learn these skills, to instill them in you mind forever, before you develop a dependency on this crutch.

I want you to think about all the 5-year-old children out there who are, as we speak, learning to play everything from the piano to the violin, just as people have been doing for centuries.

As sure as you learned how to read and write, this too can be done, I promise.

Good luck. Have fun. Make music. :violin:

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”