A cross platform VST2 example in C code

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks good, and aside from education it's also very useful for quick projects without many headaches.
I'm tempted to try to add macOS support to ikigui, hopefully i'm not underestimating the task :)

Cool!

But can we make 1)midi plugins 2) instruments ?
Could you provide example?

kartalex wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:38 pm Cool!

I'm working on a synthesizer right now, that is fully operational, so it will probably come. But it's currently using my new C library for synthesizer code and audio effect algorithms, and that library is not quite ready. It will have features for making modular synthesizers and modulation matrixes. But maybe I can strip it away and use another library that is open source to put up an example soon.

But I put up a new update of ikiGUI today that will make it simpler to make plugins. Now it's much easier to make art for centered labels for knobs and rearrange the labels in code fast, as the source art now can be stacked vertically in images.

But it is not that oblivious why ikiGUI just got greatly improved without an example. But a synthesizer example could demonstrate it. And also make a demonstration of a LCD screen emulation in it, as that isn't that obvious also.

xos wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:52 pm

I'm working on a synthesizer right now, that is fully operational, so it will probably come. But it's currently using my new C library for synthesizer code and audio effect algorithms, and that library is not quite ready. It will have features for making modular synthesizers and modulation matrixes. But maybe I can strip it away and use another library that is open source to put up an example soon.

But I put up a new update of ikiGUI today that will make it simpler to make plugins. Now it's much easier to make art for centered labels for knobs and rearrange the labels in code fast, as the source art now can be stacked vertically in images.

But it is not that oblivious why ikiGUI just got greatly improved without an example. But a synthesizer example could demonstrate it. And also make a demonstration of a LCD screen emulation in it, as that isn't that obvious also.
What do you guys think of leveraging AI (artificial intelligence, such as ChatGPT) to help create synths? Would they make your dev work easier/faster/etc.? Will they even, at least in some ways, replace synths and/or dev work, and/or some aspects of it?

Not too long ago, maybe a couple of months or 3, I posted something about that in the Instruments section.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

xos wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:53 pm I put up some boilerplate code for an audio plug with editor.

...So comments on improvements is welcome, thanks :-)
I'm just bugged sometimes that some devs seem to have a lot of stuff I might like but that're running at 32 bits. I guess I could always get that 32 bit Bridge. But if they do a new synth, I guess I can wait.

In the mean time, I have a windows and a mac (M1) so might try to find the time to test the above.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

---

Borbolactic wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:01 am What do you guys think of leveraging AI (artificial intelligence, such as ChatGPT) to help create synths? Would they make your dev work easier/faster/etc.? Will they even, at least in some ways, replace synths and/or dev work, and/or some aspects of it?
My opinion: within this thread that's totally off-topic.

If you're interested in the insights from the "DSP & Plugin Development" perspective, the topic did come up a couple of times:
viewtopic.php?t=52342&start=92
viewtopic.php?t=591138
viewtopic.php?t=596786
viewtopic.php?t=601895
viewtopic.php?t=602313

Hint: revive the one that looks most interesting to you, or just hit the New Topic button.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:12 pm
Borbolactic wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:01 am What do you guys think of leveraging AI (artificial intelligence, such as ChatGPT) to help create synths? Would they make your dev work easier/faster/etc.? Will they even, at least in some ways, replace synths and/or dev work, and/or some aspects of it?
My opinion: within this thread that's totally off-topic.

If you're interested in the insights from the "DSP & Plugin Development" perspective, the topic did come up a couple of times:
viewtopic.php?t=52342&start=92
viewtopic.php?t=591138
viewtopic.php?t=596786
viewtopic.php?t=601895
viewtopic.php?t=602313

Hint: revive the one that looks most interesting to you, or just hit the New Topic button.
I'll check out your recommendations, Bert, thanks. Are you still with Ernie, incidentally, or have you both moved on?

Borbolactic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:18 am
I'll check out your recommendations, Bert, thanks. Are you still with Ernie, incidentally, or have you both moved on?
I heard they split up due to musical differences.

Bert is musical.
Ernie was different.

kirsty roland wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:19 am
Borbolactic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:18 am
I heard they split up due to musical differences.

Bert is musical.
Ernie was different.
Oh hey, kirsty, are you the one who does that Reaktor-type plugin? If so, do you know if I could replicate Razor or something like it in it? If I do an edit of Razor, I can see all the modules all patched together that presumably make up the synth and the thought occurred to replicate them all in another sort of plugin, maybe like Supercollider, Pure Data or whatever, or yours of course. What do you think?

Yes Instruments! New code is places here...
https://github.com/logos-maker/RST

There is no example for a MIDI plugin. But I have made a Tracker sequencer as a plugin before. So it may come later.

Oh man this is cool! Love the commitment to simplicity and just implementing the ABI directly instead of going through a huge framework like almost every tutorial seems to recommend these days. I'm trying to something similar in Zig (which is basically just C-but-not-as-many-footguns anyways) with VST3. I have tosay all the COM stuff is driving me a little crazy ;)

Great work!
We do not have a support forum on kvr. Please refer to our offical location: https://www.tone2.com/faq.html

Thanks MK!

Fixed so it's possible to to make MIDI FX now and not just synthesizers and effect units. And added some more templates and a simple MIDI transpose example and improved a lot of things. And placed it here...
https://github.com/logos-maker/RST

I have also successfully tried to make a super simple VST2 host in 100% C code, with it's short header file RST.h with working audio and MIDI-in. But it doesn't cross compile as it's OS specific for the MIDI and audio. But at least it's possible to make a host even if haven't put up any example for that.

With this I do not longer see a reason how DAWs (where the new developers got no old VST2 contract with Steinberg) can be prevented to be VST2 compatibile in the future.
This means in practise that Cubase (on Mac) will be the only 'VST3 only' DAW in the future. Unlike Steinberg the competing DAW developers got no interst at all to drop VST2 support, as this would mean, that they would annoy a massive number of customers and would lose income.
We do not have a support forum on kvr. Please refer to our offical location: https://www.tone2.com/faq.html

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”