New Intel chip has 20 Cores - 6GHz clockspeed

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:52 pm
osiris wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:32 pm Intel page says 24 cores - # of Performance-cores 8. # of Efficient-cores 16. Majority of reviews talk about the increase in electricity used. (vs AMD and even the new i7.)

I have to laugh. My first PC had 200 MHz AMD-K6™ MMX™ Enhanced Processor and a 1 gig hard drive.
200? 200?????!!! We used to dream about those speeds in my day with our 486 DX2/66 and the like, grumble, grumble.
Luxury! I remember programming a drum synth on the CPC 464, whose Z80 processor ran at 4MHz and the thing had a whopping 64K or memory. It was a massive upgrade from the ZX81 we had before that. That thing had 1K of RAM. You kids don't know you've been born.

I don't remember the Memory but pretty sure it was double digits. And, a whopping 1 Gb hard drive. (I could store 10 whole wave files)

michat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 am
VitaminD wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:14 am
I was supposed to get one of those, but there was an obvious mistake at the factory. In the box was a 486 DX/4 75 instead. I didn't complain. Impulse Tracker was where it was at!
I wouldn't have complained either. :tu:

Got mine used with a dot matrix printer and a 14" screen.
MS Dos 6.2 and Win 3.11.

I remember playing Doom every second I was not making "music" through a shitty Soundblaster 16 and cheap computer speakers :dog:
Oh yeah I had a similar setup it seems at that time. Back when we had to deal with config.sys and the autoexec.bat files to setup the soundcard and other devices. The bubble CRTs. The plastic speakers. spreadsheet music. I don't miss that at all haha

That said it was like discovering a new world, at the time.

The way discussion went I think this fits ;)

Monty Python - we were so poor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdlkunflRs

14th generation and just more E-cores seems pointless with more half speed threads in whatever you run.

I turned off my E-cores on i7-12700F and no dancing up and down in frequency anymore.
- 4.5 GHz constantly 8 P-cores with HT

Last edited by Pictus on Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a great chart. Found out RXC plugin is the Reaper Compressor via GS. I'm guessing the numbers on the left is the set Latency?

osiris wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 am What a great chart. Found out RXC plugin is the Reaper Compressor via GS. I'm guessing the numbers on the left is the set Latency?
It is the ASIO buffer size.

I checked out the i7-11700K which have no E-cores, and i7-12700K with 4 E-cores at cpubenchmark.net.

What helps with performance I think is cache sizes
- 11700 Cache Size: L1: 320 KB, L2: 2.0 MB, L3: 16 MB
- 12700 Cache Size: L1: 1024 KB, L2: 12.0 MB, L3: 25 MB
- 13700 Cache Size: L1: 1408 KB, L2: 24.0 MB, L3: 30 MB

K-series run at 3.6 GHz and turbo 5 GHz or so.
- my non-K is 2.1 GHz and turbo 4.5 GHz my own real life case then

With 4 E-cores and turn off it does not matter that much.

I tested my i7-12700F with their benchmark and with E-cores 31000 rating, without 29000.
- nothing you will notice in real life IMO

With 13th series it will cost you more turning them off like I did.

When we get E-cores aware software we will probably use them more efficiently and not mix randomly full and half speed threads in a process.
- But will they adapt to Intel or Amd chips one wonders?
- mark software "Intel E-core aware"?

Typical project in Sonar for me is 80 threads spread on 20 or 16 cores(without E-cores). I looked in Process Lasso and saw E-cores were used just like any other as allocated. My biggest project used 13-14 cores only anyway, but if E-cores there they were part of allocation so 8-10 on P-cores.
- I see more chance of issues than benefits TBH with E-cores

When I was troubleshooting audio engine on Cubase Pro 9.5 I saw that 7 threads were restarted as there were dropouts.
- what happends if some of these just get half speed threads?
- maybe why Steinberg warned about these 12th and up generation cpu's
Last edited by lfm on Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=Danno post_id=8767662 time=1697566111 user_id=10281

Some patches in Ashlight/Straylight almost pin a single core if playing a chord. (8700k running around 4.3ghz I think)
[/quote]

Had a 8086 at 4 6 and I had a good improvement of 40- 50% when moved to an Ryzen 7700x. My old CPu run on the edge with my projects, not run into any issue with perfomance after the move a year ago.

A modern CPU from Intel or AMD gives a big boost, also because they have more cacheand not only frequency.

Today I would go for an Ryzen 7800X3D, as my worload is Audio Processung and Gaming. For Video, Encode and compile the Intel *700 are better.

The P/E core concept ist the future, and the OSes get better over time to handle the threads properly. But would not made that move now to such CPU unless I my workload is compile or encode.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”