Internal SSD or External SSD? (When both are available)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:32 am That ^^^
That that, too.

If you (ie the OP) cannot identify a specific reason for needing a drive to be fitted externally, and can fit it internally instead, fit it internally.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Guitar Binge wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:30 pm Making it not 3 internals
I'd say you're over-thinking this all, my friend. Cross that bridge when you get there. Enjoy that new system you have today, don't worry so much about tomorrow.

By the time you have filled up your two (I guess) One TeraByte SSD's, they will probably have become much cheaper. You can then choose to buy a 4, 8 or 16 TB drive which replaces one of the old smaller ones. And chances are even that by that time you want a system with a newer & faster CPU anyway, with more RAM than what possibly can fit your current mobo.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Okay, that's what I was thinking. Are they equally hard/wear&tear on the PC? (ex. would it be any easier on the motherboard if it was external rather than having 3 connected to it?)

Guitar Binge wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 pm Okay, that's what I was thinking. Are they equally hard/wear&tear on the PC? (ex. would it be any easier on the motherboard if it was external rather than having 3 connected to it?)
Your MB is designed to utilize the connections it has, via the appropriate chip-sets. Dell wouldn't include them if it weren't able to use them.

Just don't plug stuff into to every USB connector like some do, and then pushing the limitations beyond what is reasonable... like transferring 40GB 8K raw video to one thing, and charging their phone on another, while streaming/vlogging their live gaming over another, and viewing/transferring images into that stream from another (USB stick) all at the same time, and then wondering why their system crashes. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

BertKoor wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:59 am
Guitar Binge wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:30 pm Making it not 3 internals
I'd say you're over-thinking this all, my friend. Cross that bridge when you get there. Enjoy that new system you have today, don't worry so much about tomorrow.

By the time you have filled up your two (I guess) One TeraByte SSD's, they will probably have become much cheaper. You can then choose to buy a 4, 8 or 16 TB drive which replaces one of the old smaller ones. And chances are even that by that time you want a system with a newer & faster CPU anyway, with more RAM than what possibly can fit your current mobo.
Sounds good. Will do. Thanks.... Time to actually make some music

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:44 pm
Guitar Binge wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 pm Okay, that's what I was thinking. Are they equally hard/wear&tear on the PC? (ex. would it be any easier on the motherboard if it was external rather than having 3 connected to it?)
Your MB is designed to utilize the connections it has, via the appropriate chip-sets. Dell wouldn't include them if it weren't able to use them.

Just don't plug stuff into to every USB connector like some do, and then pushing the limitations beyond what is reasonable... like transferring 40GB 8K raw video to one thing, and charging their phone on another, while streaming/vlogging their live gaming over another, and viewing/transferring images into that stream from another (USB stick) all at the same time, and then wondering why their system crashes. :wink:
Okay, thanks again... Sounds good

Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:56 pm ..., I'd just have to take off whatever's covering it, ...
Probably a heatsink.

T-CM11 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:40 pm
Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:56 pm ..., I'd just have to take off whatever's covering it, ...
Probably a heatsink.
It's a metal basket that holds/supports the HDD/SSD caddy.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”