Pre-Amp Hardware Pedal for Retro 60s Tones (Beatles, Kinks, Stones, etc.)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:05 pm Tubes are only a part of the equation. Even most tube amps can't get that sound, including current production AC30's.
Any suggestions for an amp-less rig that is budget friendly and sounds good?
Last edited by tommyzai on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The one I PM’d you about will be good. There are other pedals that do it but they’re all more expensive.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:05 pm Tubes are only a part of the equation. Even most tube amps can't get that sound, including current production AC30's.
And the entire signal chain through tube and tape to what we get to hear on vinyl.

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:17 pmAnd the entire signal chain through tube and tape to what we get to hear on vinyl.
Yes, 100% and this is where Fractal excels. Their presets sound like the records, not just like the real amps. But if you put a 60's AC30 side-by-side with 90% of tube amps made today, the sounds of the amps themselves are also quite different.

So, what do we do on a budget?

Look at the Joyo suggested already or this one Joyo California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tak4PSGgE

I use a Joyo American and California to play with a loop pedal.
- this is $50 range
- excellent to get some dist and character
- no other pedals for this setup

I've steered away from Joyo boxes thinking that they were cheapo, but many guitarists seem to like them. Would the California be considered a pre-amp?

The Joyo pedals mentioned are all preamps - they come in Vox, Marshall, Fender and (as shown above) Boogie flavours. As people have already mentioned, they're not exactly the same as their "targets" (I actually have an early AC15) they're not bad for the price.

Don't worry about terminology other than an amp would really drive speakers directly.
- that's the traditional way of thinking of it
- if your sound is to be used as is, low level signals, it does not matter

You like the sound you get, into your interface or other way, go for it.
- if you pay $200 does not say to get a better sound
- sales people will always make you want to spend more

UAD Dream or whatever call themselves amps and to be used as amps with loads of pedals and stuff.
- Fender amps are very clean or fairly like Dream and usually used with pedals
- if what comes out of it pleases your ears that is all that matters
- if then into computer you have reverbs and stuff to process further into your music

If you are in a cover band and need to cover many styles of guitar sound live that's another story.
- but as he said in video, he used the AC tone live with good results too

Speaking of Joyo, his wife's company is Mooer and she makes an AC30 preamp pedal that's quite good:

http://youtu.be/2Cwlw5hvVKE

Return to “Guitars”