If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ben H wrote:You know what will happen right?

People won't subscribe because the price is unreasonable, and also the "have to be online when you start your DAW" restriction... and instead of adjusting their business + CP models to be more reasonable... Roland will see it as a "lack of interest" and end up scrapping all future development.

:roll:
That's doubtful. There is more to Roland Cloud than the soft synths. Rainlink is going to be a big part of it as well and once it is implemented, viewpoints may change.

I was reading the manual. It seems they ported the DSP code "as is" with all the original limitations "et all". It's unbelievable that when used in dual mode, the synth only plays 8 notes. Sure we can instantiate more than one instrument, but 8 notes in DUAL mode? Seriously? A software instrument?

This reminds me of some VSTs that are only monophonic... I must be getting too old :roll: :borg:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

JJ_Jettflow wrote:

People won't subscribe because the price is unreasonable, and also the "have to be online when you start your DAW" restriction... and instead of adjusting their business + CP models to be more reasonable... Roland will see it as a "lack of interest" and end up scrapping all future development.

Rainlink is going to be a big part of it as well and once it is implemented, viewpoints may change.
How will this improve the experience for people using the Jupiter-8 or the D-50? :roll:

They didn't even solve the problems pointed to Jupiter-8 and Juno-60 yet (lack of a proper patch browser and management, blurred GUI when zoomed, heavy CPU demand). And it was like half a year ago already
Fernando (FMR)

Was anyone outside the US able to pay the subscription yet using the related link/page at the official Roland Cloud website? As mentioned in my previous post it does not seem to work here in Germany.

I asked at the Roland Cloud Facebook page and a hint from another user (not from Roland yet) about clearing the browser cache did not work here yet. I tried with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome in Windows 10 64-bit. I even tried using the login e-mail that i used for the free subscription instead of the other one i used earlier today.

Hopefully someone from Roland will reply at Facebook too...

As mentioned earlier i do not really like the subscription model and would like to have a seperate purchase for the D-50 VST (even if it costs more than 100 €).

UPDATE:
Problem solved. I had tio use "none" at teh "state/province" field.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

JJ_Jettflow wrote:

That's doubtful. There is more to Roland Cloud than the soft synths. Rainlink is going to be a big part of it as well and once it is implemented, viewpoints may change.
That sounds awful to me. Terabytes of cloud sample libraries. Play locally from a lo-res version and render from the cloud. So you don't even hear the final result without rendering. Non-realtime music is not a step in a direction that interests me. Plus it is totally internet dependent.

That is not driven by musical need, but rather a revenue stream looking to get fed.

Ingonator wrote:Was anyone outside the US able to pay the subscription yet using the related link/page at the official Roland Cloud website?
Maybe discussion is happening somewhere else, but I have not heard a single mention from someone who played it and how it compares to the original. Perhaps nobody in the US can access it either?

fmr wrote:I was reading the manual. It seems they ported the DSP code "as is" with all the original limitations "et all". It's unbelievable that when used in dual mode, the synth only plays 8 notes. Sure we can instantiate more than one instrument, but 8 notes in DUAL mode? Seriously? A software instrument?
When I was playing it I was disappointed by the polyphony, but figured it was voice limited as a constraint to let it run on the System-8... but then found out it doesn't run as a plugout anyway.

So yes, rather than doing a little bit of work to extend the voice allocation, they left it as is, which is... not what I'd like, but not a deal breaker (multiple instances etc).

pdxindy wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:

That sounds awful to me. Terabytes of cloud sample libraries. Play locally from a lo-res version and render from the cloud. So you don't even hear the final result without rendering. Non-realtime music is not a step in a direction that interests me. Plus it is totally internet dependent.

That is not driven by musical need, but rather a revenue stream looking to get fed.
https://m.facebook.com/OfficialJeremySo ... 9011029953

Granted while anyone can subscribe to this, it is really looks to be geared to professional and semi-professional musicians; the average hobbyist I doubt will show much interest.

EDIT: actually there is no low resolution version; the version you work with is equal to what you are currently used to working with now. The Rainlink will be above what you currently hear from a VST or samples.

Ingonator wrote:359.40$ for 12 months that i would need to keep the D-50 plugin permanently.
Where did you read that you keep the plugin permanently after 12 months? Since it's a cloud subscription for all plugins; do you get to pick 1 to keep after that period?

Even if I that was the case and I thought 359.40$ was worth it - I'm still not buying any C/R protected plugins and I read too many bad things about the Roland plugins (low resolution GUI & mouse control e.g.).

JJ_Jettflow wrote: EDIT: actually there is no low resolution version; the version you work with is equal to what you are currently used to working with now. The Rainlink will be above what you currently hear from a VST or samples.
WOW, We have a marketeer around :lol: Typical Roland marketing mambo-jambo.
Fernando (FMR)

T-CM11 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:359.40$ for 12 months that i would need to keep the D-50 plugin permanently.
Where did you read that you keep the plugin permanently after 12 months? Since it's a cloud subscription for all plugins; do you get to pick 1 to keep after that period?

Even if I that was the case and I thought 359.40$ was worth it - I'm still not buying any C/R protected plugins and I read too many bad things about the Roland plugins (low resolution GUI & mouse control e.g.).
Yes after 12 months of subscription you should be able to choose one plugin to keep. Currently i would be mostly interested in the D-50 even if i was not able to test it yet (see my posts above about problems with the subscription...).

Anyway i checked multiple plugins during the free one month subscription and teher are indeed big problems with the GUI resize, CPU use and workflow. On the other hand there were comments that with the D-50 this seems to work better than with the other plugins, especially the analog modeled ones.
Opposing to the analog emulations the D-50 does not seem to work as a Plug-Out in the System-8 hardware due to a lacking sample memory in the hardware.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Opposing to the analog emulations the D-50 does not seem to work as a Plug-Out in the System-8 hardware due to a lacking sample memory in the hardware.
Sounds really short-sighted of them, knowing that most forms of memory are extremely cheap these days (especially for the tiny amount that a d50 plugout would take up).

fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: EDIT: actually there is no low resolution version; the version you work with is equal to what you are currently used to working with now. The Rainlink will be above what you currently hear from a VST or samples.
WOW, We have a marketeer around :lol: Typical Roland marketing mambo-jambo.

No marketeer. Not even a beta tester. Not even a fanboi. Just explaining a comment that was made about having to use low resolution versions of the Roland gear. The sample sets and soft synths Roland offer are egual to what most other companies offer sound-wise. While there are lots of complaints about the Roland plugs, their sound quality does not seem to be one of them so it is safe to say, as they are offered, the quality is equal to the current market offerings.

Rainlink will take it further. You should take the time to read about it instead of making pointless personal jabs.

T-CM11 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Opposing to the analog emulations the D-50 does not seem to work as a Plug-Out in the System-8 hardware due to a lacking sample memory in the hardware.
Sounds really short-sighted of them, knowing that most forms of memory are extremely cheap these days (especially for the tiny amount that a d50 plugout would take up).
No problem, this is an opportunity to lanch a "System-10" next year :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Rainlink will take it further. You should take the time to read about it instead of making pointless personal jabs.
Sorry if it sounded like a personal attack - no intention. Regarding the quality of the Roland VSTs, you're right, for what I experienced that are very good. The problems were not at all related with sound quality.

But I read about Rainlink, and that plus the fact that I know pretty much what is the quality of the VSTs and samplers available in the marktet, is what make me laugh about the "superior quality of Rainlink".

If and when it will be necessary, I believe vendors like NI and others will give us the option to have that same quality rendered non realtime locally, without having to pay a rent for that. But hey... if some "real pro" finds it indispensable for their work right now, Roland will say thanks. For the rest of us, common mortals, IMO it would be a waste of money.

All this discussion is just sterile. What the common user wants is an option to get the tools without having to pay a rent. Or a rent-to-own option... but not by paying three times or more the value of the plug-ins
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”