What determines your choice of synth beyond sound?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apart from sound, flexibility and functionality is a thing, looks (to a lesser extent by far though), immediacy (e.g., knob per function) and layout, build quality, and reasonable price - these matter to me as well.

Knob per function is a given in software, otherwise you couldn't change things. With hardware, I am less convinced. If I compare the experience of using my Minilogue or Monologue with Pulse 2 or Uno, I don't think the knob-per-function synths were any easier or faster to work with. The matrix control paradigm is very powerful and it focuses your attention on one small space, which makes it easier to work with. Knob-per-function really only makes sense where the controls reflect their current values, which is pretty much never the case in hardware these days, unless you've got something with no patch memory.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

IncarnateX wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am
The design and color. My synths have to match each other visually and form a whole, not some fragmentet collage of non-matching colors. They have to be eye-candy as much as possible, since this increases my motivation to dive into them. E.g. Yellow synths are usually no go to me.

2. The lay out. Traumatized by countless menu-synths during the 90s, I prefer synths with as few menus as possible. Put most on the front in form af knobs and sliders and you will get my attention.

3. The size. I like small synths. Minikeys like Korg's are just my kind of thing. I mainly sequence my synths and do not play them with both hands as if they were a grand piano. However, this does not mean that I like modules with no keys. Actually I do not like modules much, may they be desktop or rack. They lack something "self-contained" and do not appeal to me visually, that is as close as I can get to a "reasonable reason". If a synth have normal keys, then I would go for as few octaves as possible. My JP8000 has 4 octaves and that is an upper limit to me.

4. The building material has to be solid. Some plastic synths seem like they would break into fragments if I sat on them accidentally. Give me as much metal, aluminium, wood panels as possible. And if it has to be plastic, then it should be very hard plast, like my JP8000.
You've described the Ensoniq SQ80.

Yoda. You seek Yoda.
(except for mini-keys. Gross).

Apart from prize, flexibility and build quality I really like for the synth to come with a fair amount presets showing what it's capable of. Something inspiring I can build upon when designing my own. As opposed to others, I'm not too afraid of a bit of menu diving, like on the Blofeld, as long as it's logically laid out.
Size does matter (that's what she told me yesterday too! :lol: ) - I have limited room and a lot of keybeds allready due to the fact that I couldn't get a rack/desktop model at the time of purchase, or even at all. I really miss rackmounted instruments like back in the 90s / early 00's. Desktops are great but do take up way more space than racksynths. Obviously, they are easier to operate but I ran out of desktop! :lol: I use my Kronos and a NI Komplete MKII 49 as controllers and really don't need more keys. So...size does matter

Walnut wood side panels ofcourse!
Or failing that, a flat pebble as modulation wheel would be nice :clown:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BONES wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:11 am Knob per function is a given in software, otherwise you couldn't change things. With hardware, I am less convinced. If I compare the experience of using my Minilogue or Monologue with Pulse 2 or Uno, I don't think the knob-per-function synths were any easier or faster to work with. The matrix control paradigm is very powerful and it focuses your attention on one small space, which makes it easier to work with. Knob-per-function really only makes sense where the controls reflect their current values, which is pretty much never the case in hardware these days, unless you've got something with no patch memory.
that's the very reason i sold the Pulse 2... what happens if you wanna tweak an envelope parameter while tweaking the filter or oscillator? You can't, which limits the synth. Fine if you're only a preset surfer, but not if you actually tweak a lot in your recording or performance.
The "matrix control paradigm" style can be very uninspiring.

Flashing lights ... at least 20 or it's a no-go :hihi:

sqigls wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm that's the very reason i sold the Pulse 2... what happens if you wanna tweak an envelope parameter while tweaking the filter or oscillator? You can't, which limits the synth.
Yep. Kind of was my issue with the Blofeld as well. Especially when you have the software equivalent (Largo) it's really hard to find reasons to go for such a limited way of operation.

jojoB3 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:52 am
IncarnateX wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am
The design and color. My synths have to match each other visually and form a whole, not some fragmentet collage of non-matching colors. They have to be eye-candy as much as possible, since this increases my motivation to dive into them. E.g. Yellow synths are usually no go to me.

2. The lay out. Traumatized by countless menu-synths during the 90s, I prefer synths with as few menus as possible. Put most on the front in form af knobs and sliders and you will get my attention.

3. The size. I like small synths. Minikeys like Korg's are just my kind of thing. I mainly sequence my synths and do not play them with both hands as if they were a grand piano. However, this does not mean that I like modules with no keys. Actually I do not like modules much, may they be desktop or rack. They lack something "self-contained" and do not appeal to me visually, that is as close as I can get to a "reasonable reason". If a synth have normal keys, then I would go for as few octaves as possible. My JP8000 has 4 octaves and that is an upper limit to me.

4. The building material has to be solid. Some plastic synths seem like they would break into fragments if I sat on them accidentally. Give me as much metal, aluminium, wood panels as possible. And if it has to be plastic, then it should be very hard plast, like my JP8000.
You've described the Ensoniq SQ80.

Yoda. You seek Yoda.
(except for mini-keys. Gross).
Nope. It falls for 2. Does not have enough knobs and sliders. Anyway, I denounced these standards just one page ago. They are from 2016. That was then. This is now.

sqigls wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pmthat's the very reason i sold the Pulse 2... what happens if you wanna tweak an envelope parameter while tweaking the filter or oscillator?
Why on Earth would I want to do that? If I did, I'd record one as automation and do the other one live. Or I'd map one to my Mod Wheel or a controller on my Rise 25.

In any event, what happens if you want to tweak a parameter and, because of the current knob position, you can't get to the value you want or it jumps to the current knob value as soon as you start to turn it? To me, those problems are far harder to deal with on stage than the simple ones you describe.
You can't, which limits the synth.
Only if your thinking is also limited.
Fine if you're only a preset surfer, but not if you actually tweak a lot in your recording or performance.
What, you can't overdub? As for "performance", what kind of performance is it that you stand there turning knobs? To me that is about as non-performance oriented as it is possible to get. It's what DJs do, not performers.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 am
Only if your thinking is also limited.
As for "performance", what kind of performance is it that you stand there turning knobs? To me that is about as non-performance oriented as it is possible to get. It's what DJs do, not performers.

i see...

Sound -> reliabilty -> user interface.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”