Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As it was mentioned before, the main cancer in the industry is the OBSESSION with growth. If a company has a great product and is making money with it, then it is punished by Wallstreet. You have to show growth, growth, growth. In order to do that, companies hire these beancounters that have no relationship to the actual product whatsoever. They have learned their business schemes and apply them, acquisition, buying, selling, manipulating, just to make Wallstreet and their criminal institutions of legalized gambling happy.

The customer doesn't matter, and even worse, the people who work at the company who actually make the products don't care.
The beancounters get reward for running a company into the ground and move over to ruin other people's live, I mean make money for other shareholders.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

Isnt gibson privately held?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

EdgarRothermich wrote:As it was mentioned before, the main cancer in the industry is the OBSESSION with growth. If a company has a great product and is making money with it, then it is punished by Wallstreet. You have to show growth, growth, growth. In order to do that, companies hire these beancounters that have no relationship to the actual product whatsoever. They have learned their business schemes and apply them, acquisition, buying, selling, manipulating, just to make Wallstreet and their criminal institutions of legalized gambling happy.

The customer doesn't matter, and even worse, the people who work at the company who actually make the products don't care.
The beancounters get reward for running a company into the ground and move over to ruin other people's live, I mean make money for other shareholders.
Tax-system usually promote growth as well. Many options to deduct costs or profit goes in taxes - you can just as well use it and purchase a company or similar.

So overall - investments - are promoted for companies. Need not be listed on Nasdaq for that.

I remember Gibson were on some kind of tv-show where advertisement agencies competed for compaign for Gibson Pro Audio. Don't remember what outcome was though.

So gather that idea was rather new at the time - could it be around when Cakewalk was purchased. Not more than five years ago, as I recall.

I think Gibson made this official partly to give buzz and attract interested buyers of Cakewalk. Sonar is really fine daw IMO so will probably turn up again resurrected.

Growth is not the problem.

It's simply the case that the staff of a company tries to fill their pockets by cutting on customer services. That's the trend. And it won't stop for a while.

Apple has stores. And yes, they sell more software than those silly DAW jerks, because they have a SHOWROOM. For instance.

Every respectable company can afford itself a showroom, but since some fanbois have nestled the idea in the head of the devs that we can test 24/7 all their stuff 24 months per year, at every *major update* things got out of hand. Let's say... the *try before you buy* concept. Wonder where that came from..

That they thought that a *major update* is nothing but a beta version. The solution! The customer wouldn't notice the difference. And volunteer and say: "Yay!" To buy into a buggy 12 month system (whatever you will call it). Instead of an update people expect to be as less buggy as possible. A regular version. Which has actual value. Not some *promised land value* but with real MAJOR UPDATE VALUE. For Christ's sake!

^ALL OF THIS HAPPENED. Because the fanbois TOLD THEM SO!

And since fanbois are usually truly depressed people without a job and thus have no money and probably run warez, people TRULY without a life, their only kick out of life is grabbing some personal attention from some ignorant dev on a forum like KVR. 24/7. And then keep that dev busy for a while for no other reason than grabbing their personal attention. That easy it seems..

And then someone like me drops the billion bomb on them which makes the shells falling from their eyes. Just for free... just for free..

Ok, that last part was pure speculation :oops:

Someone needs their meds adjusted. Coherence is currently not operating.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

There is an intense element of naked capitalism in modern life. Just listen to people referring to everything as "product", companies and the public at large referring to people as "consumers". Look at the way we sell the names our major public facilities for a few bucks. Here, it's not Giants Stadium, it's AT&T park. Somewhere in 80's, traditional morality and desires started to be set aside for the "if it makes money, it's good for us" philosophy. That's a real issue.

That said, Sonar has been having issues since before Gibson bought it, because, forgive me, but it's just not quite as appealing or easy as a lot of the competition.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Someone needs their mods adjusted. Coherence is currently not operating.
At least you got the message. Next time try to avoid Freudian slips.

5Lives wrote:Surprising? Not really. Their marketshare didn't seem to justify continued development costs. I think you'll see the same thing with other smaller share DAWs.

This. Plus the fact that the free upgrades for life short-term sugar fix meant that longer term, they could only hope to make money from new customers, but could not expect any future revenue from existing customers, no matter how loyal etc. That's quite a millstone to tie around your own neck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

DAWs will come and go. If Cakewalk wasn't profitable then it's understandable that Gibson is closing it down. What I take issue with is how, up until as recently as last week, they were running sales on Sonar and advertising the year of updates included. I think they should have come up with a good transition plan which includes support and bug fixes at a minimum for a year or two.

Woodgardens wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
jinotsuh wrote:Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again

Yeeehaaa, just as I predicted here in a post almost 2 years ago, that Cakewalk would be gone within 2 years, and so it has come to pass :D

The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
X
Congratulations, you sound like a brain-dead, high school dropout Trump supporter. Real people lost their jobs right before the holidays and you're happy that you guessed it right two years ago? Wow, that must be a major accomplishment in your pathetic little life if you've been sitting around waiting for two years to claim what a visionary you are.

Get a life, loser. That's just pathetic. :idiot:
You know what pathos is for real? To shelter behind the back of (soon) former Cakewalk employees with the -only- intention to spread your hate for Trump here. While there was not any need for unnecessary (political) name dropping in this thread FYI. Nor any reason whatsoever. It just makes you another mischievous hater. That's all. My 2c.
Good luck with the launch, Mike.

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

rlared wrote:DAWs will come and go. If Cakewalk wasn't profitable then it's understandable that Gibson is closing it down. What I take issue with is how, up until as recently as last week, they were running sales on Sonar and advertising the year of updates included. I think they should have come up with a good transition plan which includes support and bug fixes at a minimum for a year or two.
Or, at the very least, a pledge to maintain a server which would allow verified, paid-up customers to download and activate a legacy version of Sonar if, for example, their music PC packs up and they need to install on a new machine. That would allay a huge fear (of mine at least), that I am living on borrowed time. I.e. unless I get busy now -- for all projects, render all audio as stems, and export the midi files, then painstakingly save every single FX setting as a named preset, and take notes on routing, levels, take screenshots of enevelopes etc -- we are possibly talking about some hundreds of hours of work here -- when my laptop goes under, does my music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

SJ_Digriz wrote:Someone needs their meds adjusted. Coherence is currently not operating.
Meds don't fix that. In fact, depending on the drug, they're more likely to compound the problem.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

EdgarRothermich wrote:As it was mentioned before, the main cancer in the industry is the OBSESSION with growth. If a company has a great product and is making money with it, then it is punished by Wallstreet. You have to show growth, growth, growth. In order to do that, companies hire these beancounters that have no relationship to the actual product whatsoever. They have learned their business schemes and apply them, acquisition, buying, selling, manipulating, just to make Wallstreet and their criminal institutions of legalized gambling happy.

Fully agree.

But in this case, it wasn't Cakewalk obsessed with growth, it was the companies that bought them. Gibson is part of that toxic Wall Street gambling nonsense. Cakewalk's mistakes were in their developer/corporate culture around the products. Still problems at Cakewalk, but i doubt we'd be seeing this Cakewalk shutdown if they'd stayed independent. Then again, maybe the company needed to be bought to be kept going at some point... but then that was just delaying the inevitable if so.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Someone needs their meds adjusted. Coherence is currently not operating.
Meds don't fix that. In fact, depending on the drug, they're more likely to compound the problem.
not the place or time for armchair psychiatry :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”