Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I've been trying the demo and noticed that changing presets takes a few seconds, almost like a lag. Is this fixed in the actual released version?
Preset loading is not instantaneous as there are pre-calculations involved for the wavetables, but since the last demo update, I believe preset loading to be about 300-400% faster, so it's gone from "admittedly unsatisfactory" to "quite tolerable / no longer mentioned".

I'll have an updated demo very soon, most likely this coming week. I can send you a 'beta' demo if that's the main thing holding you back from purchase, just email/contact me through the website and let me know your OS and format (e.g. 32 or 64).

Steve
http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum/

bitcrusher wrote:
I've been trying the demo and noticed that changing presets takes a few seconds, almost like a lag. Is this fixed in the actual released version?
Preset loading is not instantaneous as there are pre-calculations involved for the wavetables, but since the last demo update, I believe preset loading to be about 300-400% faster, so it's gone from "admittedly unsatisfactory" to "quite tolerable / no longer mentioned".

I'll have an updated demo very soon, most likely this coming week. I can send you a 'beta' demo if that's the main thing holding you back from purchase, just email/contact me through the website and let me know your OS and format (e.g. 32 or 64).

Steve
http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum/
i can confirm this, the presetloading was also not well on my side in the demo, since last months' purchase the presetloading is nothing to wonder about anymore. not 100% great but maybe 90% and before it was about 20% ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Just watched your youtube tutorials Steve. They really are excellent.

Having the developer show your round their own plugin is so much better than third party tutorials. It's the little details - not just that 'X' cool feature exists, but WHY it exists - the history and thinking behind it, the type of sound it is intended for etc - these things are almost always missing in third party tutorials.

Terrific stuff :tu:

Would be great if you could follow up with a few more on the wavetable editor too :)

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but for those who purchased the Architecture Vol. 1 expansion for Kaleidoscope, note that the great selection of single cycle waves in it import easily and nicely into Serum's wavetable....

I don't know if I'm missing some basic setting somewhere, but I find the bank/patch drop-down menu frustratingly inadequate.

I can't see which bank includes the current sound, and once I've made a guess, the patch in question doesn't even have a highlight or a check mark.

As I posted in the Xfer forum, these fundamental omissions actually make me use Serum much less than I'd like to, because I get so p---ed off at having to play hide and seek for a path that should be clearly flagged.

Please tell me I'm missing someting fundamental, or learn from Air Instruments how a bank/patch menu should be designed.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I can't see which bank includes the current sound, and once I've made a guess, the patch in question doesn't even have a highlight or a check mark.
You should see checkmarks once you've selected a preset, so we should go through tech support on that if you don't, it should persist closing and opening the plug-in window, however if you re-open a saved project you won't see checkmarks as the preset is not selected from the menus anymore. In any case I have been working on preset handling, I added sub-subfolder support recently, which was a rather extensive re-write. Also, there's a full browser in the works with database/search/sort etc.

bitcrusher wrote: Also, there's a full browser in the works with database/search/sort etc.
That will be a nice move Steve! :tu:

bitcrusher wrote:
You should see checkmarks once you've selected a preset, so we should go through tech support on that if you don't, it should persist closing and opening the plug-in window, however if you re-open a saved project you won't see checkmarks as the preset is not selected from the menus anymore. In any case I have been working on preset handling, I added sub-subfolder support recently, which was a rather extensive re-write. Also, there's a full browser in the works with database/search/sort etc.
Thanks for the reply, Steve. Hopefully the browser will help me finding what I'm looking for.

Yes, I can see a check mark in the patch list of a particular bank, but (as you say) not if the current patch is the one saved in a DAW project.

And even if I change a patch in an open project, there's no indication from which of my 19 banks that patch comes from! It's all too easy to browse around and lose track of the bank – and then there's nothing to do but hunt through the banks one by one.

Not good enough in a premium synth, if you ask me.

Please take a look at AIR Vacuum Pro or Hybrid 3! (There are demos on their webpage now) When I open a saved project, for instance in Live 9 64 , and click on the current patch name in the Vacuum or Hybrid GUI, hey! presto:

1) I get a bank drop down (just like in Serum) but with the current bank indicated by an X.

2) Then, mousing over the indicated bank, I get another drop down list (just like in Serum) with – you guessed it – the current patch indicated by an X.

Patch navigation perfected…

If AIR can do it, why not Xfer? ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Yes, I can see a check mark in the patch list of a particular bank, but (as you say) not if the current patch is the one saved in a DAW project.
You're welcome to add it to the requests thread on the Serum registered user forum. FWIW if/when this gets added, there won't be checkmarks for already saved projects, because I currently only save the visible preset name and not the location, I mean, I could make it scan for the first location with that name, but for instance, if you had 2 presets named "BuzzyBass" it would pick the first one which may or may not be the one you used, and my thinking was no checkmark is better than the wrong preset. So, in a future version I could start storing the entire preset location which would alleviate that problem, but right now that info is not saved.
And even if I change a patch in an open project, there's no indication from which of my 19 banks that patch comes from! It's all too easy to browse around and lose track of the bank – and then there's nothing to do but hunt through the banks one by one.
Hmm, If you change patch in an open project, you should see check marks for every folder ("bank" as you say). If you have steps to recreate such an issue please give me more information such as your OS and specifics (version, plugin format, host, OS).

-Steve
http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

after 2 hard month of waiting...

i finally bought SERUM !! just now :D

now i will eat potatoes for the rest of month.... and make BIG BIG SOUND :D
night life...
sry but i can't talk alone.

Place the potatoes on the Wavetable before eating, then they taste better.

hollo wrote:
bitcrusher wrote: Also, there's a full browser in the works with database/search/sort etc.
Fantastic. :party:

Dune 2 team should learn from you how to maintain a product :borg:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
hollo wrote:
Fantastic. :party:

Dune 2 team should learn from you how to maintain a product :borg:

I agree, and I think that goes for any other wavetable synth on the market. Serum's the one to beat imo.
Ha ha suck it!

Sampleconstruct wrote:Place the potatoes on the Wavetable before eating, then they taste better.
i love potatoes with fromage "RACLETTE3 from ("Savoie (fr) - ALPS")

through, my fromage is dated last month but i'm sure it's already good...

if there is "de la moisissure" on it, i will retire it with a knife (like in your next fast food !!!)

at now...

i think i used 1 session on bitwig + 1 serum + 1 peak limiter on bitwig (even i dont touch at this...)

https://soundcloud.com/chrisn13/wings-o ... n-160k-mp3

and this is some ambiant music...

(1 serum used, no DAW fx).

i think i'm happy with it... :))

edit: for the laugh... there just 2 notes used...

edit: PS: i'm very beginner in programming patches.
night life...
sry but i can't talk alone.

When is Serum going to come out of beta?

Return to “Instruments”