If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Just explaining a comment that was made about having to use low resolution versions of the Roland gear. The sample sets and soft synths Roland offer are egual to what most other companies offer sound-wise. While there are lots of complaints about the Roland plugs, their sound quality does not seem to be one of them so it is safe to say, as they are offered, the quality is equal to the current market offerings.
Rainlink will take it further.
I'm sorry, but what do You mean by "low resolution versions of the Roland gear"?
And where exactly this Rainlink will take it?
Because DAWs don't use MIDI for most VST parameters anyway, and I doubt that increasing resolution for velocity and aftertouch (and some few other parameters still working in 0-127 range) will bring that big change in music.

fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: If and when it will be necessary, I believe vendors like NI and others will give us the option to have that same quality rendered non realtime locally, without having to pay a rent for that. But hey... if some "real pro" finds it indispensable for their work right now, Roland will say thanks. For the rest of us, common mortals, IMO it would be a waste of money.
What I find odd: isn't the professional (software) market these days a niche better suited for smaller companies? I'd think a giant like Roland would aim at the much larger amateur market...
Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not an economics expert. :P

Kumi_27 wrote:
Because DAWs don't use MIDI for most VST parameters anyway...
Does that matter if a plugin "converts" incoming (hi-res) automation from the DAW to a value between 0-127?

fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Rainlink will take it further. You should take the time to read about it instead of making pointless personal jabs.
Sorry if it sounded like a personal attack - no intention. Regarding the quality of the Roland VSTs, you're right, for what I experienced that are very good. The problems were not at all related with sound quality.

But I read about Rainlink, and that plus the fact that I know pretty much what is the quality of the VSTs and samplers available in the marktet, is what make me laugh about the "superior quality of Rainlink".

If and when it is necessary, I believe vendors like NI and others will give us the option to have that same quality rendered non realtime locally, without having to pay a rent for that. But hey... if some "real pro" finds it indispensable for their work right now, Roland will say thanks. For the rest of us, common mortals, IMO it would be a waste of money.
No problem. Your apology is warmly accepted. :hug:

Rainlink uses cloud computing to render the audio because, in their words a single PC would not be able to do it.

So from that statement, NI and other companies would either have to follow suit or come up with another way to accomplish this; which is entirely probable. This is Roland's approach and other companies might find better ways to offer the same service.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: EDIT: actually there is no low resolution version; the version you work with is equal to what you are currently used to working with now. The Rainlink will be above what you currently hear from a VST or samples.
WOW, We have a marketeer around :lol: Typical Roland marketing mambo-jambo.

No marketeer. Not even a beta tester. Not even a fanboi. Just explaining a comment that was made about having to use low resolution versions of the Roland gear. The sample sets and soft synths Roland offer are egual to what most other companies offer sound-wise. While there are lots of complaints about the Roland plugs, their sound quality does not seem to be one of them so it is safe to say, as they are offered, the quality is equal to the current market offerings.

Rainlink will take it further. You should take the time to read about it instead of making pointless personal jabs.
The local version is a lo-res version both compared to the terabytes online version and to the best sample libraries. Ivory 2 has I think 3 sampled pianos and totals 77GB of samples. The Roland piano in the video you linked to is 1GB... so yeah, in the world of top sampled libraries, that is lo-res.

T-CM11 wrote:
Kumi_27 wrote:
Does that matter if a plugin "converts" incoming (hi-res) automation from the DAW to a value between 0-127?
I think, it depends of the handling of parameters in particular plugin, and their ranges.
If, say, "panorama" parameter in plugin has resolution of 16384 (14 bit, for example, like MIDI NRPN) then DAW may have full range using DAW automation, but only 128 steps when using MIDI CC 10.

pdxindy wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:
fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: EDIT: actually there is no low resolution version; the version you work with is equal to what you are currently used to working with now. The Rainlink will be above what you currently hear from a VST or samples.
WOW, We have a marketeer around :lol: Typical Roland marketing mambo-jambo.

No marketeer. Not even a beta tester. Not even a fanboi. Just explaining a comment that was made about having to use low resolution versions of the Roland gear. The sample sets and soft synths Roland offer are egual to what most other companies offer sound-wise. While there are lots of complaints about the Roland plugs, their sound quality does not seem to be one of them so it is safe to say, as they are offered, the quality is equal to the current market offerings.

Rainlink will take it further. You should take the time to read about it instead of making pointless personal jabs.
The local version is a lo-res version both compared to the terabytes online version and to the best sample libraries. Ivory 2 has I think 3 sampled pianos and totals 77GB of samples. The Roland piano in the video you linked to is 1GB... so yeah, in the world of top sampled libraries, that is lo-res.

Not sure where you are getting 1GB...says 3.8 GB here.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/ter ... tera-piano

Kumi_27 wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Kumi_27 wrote:
I think, it depends of the handling of parameters in particular plugin, and their ranges.
If, say, "panorama" parameter in plugin has resolution of 16384 (14 bit, for example, like MIDI NRPN) then DAW may have full range using DAW automation, but only 128 steps when using MIDI CC 10.
For what I read, that's not what is addressed by Rainlink. Basically, Rainly would address thinghs like rendering audio using mammoth sample libraries (in the TB size) and audio instruments in ultra high resolution (like 384 kHz @ 32-bit floating or something). Since none of these will make a huge difference to the sound IMNSHO (after all, we would have to sample down and dither that anyway) it is more a marketing weapon than a real need that any pro have felt. But hey, I'm just a humble noone... what do I know?
Fernando (FMR)

Like someone already said, it's addressing a nonexistent problem :roll:

JJ_Jettflow wrote:So from that statement, NI and other companies would either have to follow suit or come up with another way to accomplish this; which is entirely probable. This is Roland's approach and other companies might find better ways to offer the same service.
It is not established that anything is accomplished that needs to be followed.

I think virtual pianos like Ivory 2 are as good as they need to be already. If you want better, play a real live piano. It doesn't matter if it is 1000 terabytes, it is still not going to be the real thing... and it is no longer even realtime.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Not sure where you are getting 1GB...says 3.8 GB here.

I just repeated what the Roland rep said in the video you posted. He may be wrong then. Regardless, my point still stands.

MDA Piano :tu:

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Not sure where you are getting 1GB...says 3.8 GB here.

That's still lo res... Just for you to have a term of comparison:

The Grandeur (included in NI Komplete: 4.9 GB of lossless compressed files)
Una Corda (also included in NI Komplete: 9.98 GB of lossless compressed files)
Alicias Keys: 6.98 GB of lossless compressed files

East-West Pianos Gold (not the top of the line - that's Platinum): 49.4 GB

Garritan CFX Lite (again, not the top this is the Lite version): 19.2 GB

Admitedly, none of these is in the TB range, but all of them are way over the 3.8 GB (which Roland accepted for their "high quality" local version). EW Pianos Platinum is probably around 80 GB probably. Garritan CFX is also be around the 70 GB (more mic positions). And ALL OF THEM are available locally

And there are many other huge libraries (I didn't even enter the Symphonic Orchestra Libraries, which are way bigger).

Roland isn't a big player in the sample market for decades now, and suddenly they come with this "Cloud Server" rendering and talking about sample libraries in the TB size. What would anyone reasonably informed think?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Not sure where you are getting 1GB...says 3.8 GB here.

That's still lo res... Just for you to have a term of comparison:

The Grandeur (included in NI Komplete: 4.9 GB of lossless compressed files)
Una Corda (also included in NI Komplete: 9.98 GB of lossless compressed files)
Alicias Keys: 6.98 GB of lossless compressed files

East-West Pianos Gold (not the top of the line - that's Platinum): 49.4 GB

Garritan CFX Lite (again, not the top this is the Lite version): 19.2 GB

Admitedly, none of these is in the TB range, but all of them are way over the 3.8 GB (which Roland accepted for their "high quality" local version). EW Pianos Platinum is probably around 80 GB probably. Garritan CFX is also be around the 70 GB (more mic positions). And ALL OF THEM are available locally

And there are many other huge libraries (I didn't even enter the Symphonic Orchestra Libraries, which are way bigger).

Roland isn't a big player in the sample market for decades now, and suddenly they come with this "Cloud Server" rendering and talking about sample libraries in the TB size. What would anyone reasonably informed think?
Wow, I'm surprised at the size of some of those pianos. Now I'm really impressed with the Tera; even this small version sounds quite good compared to some I own and/or you listed.
As far as what Roland is trying to do all I can say is that if it helps me achieve my goals better than what the status quo has to offer, I'm all for it.

fmr wrote: Roland isn't a big player in the sample market for decades now, and suddenly they come with this "Cloud Server" rendering and talking about sample libraries in the TB size. What would anyone reasonably informed think?
Agreed. This largely appears to be Roland trying to innovate in terms of revenue generation more than anything else.

There are diminishing returns in terms of increased size, all else being equal. Even that condition though, as you rightly point out, doesn't necessarily follow.

In fact, I'm not convinced that they are targeting professional users really. I get the sense that they are targeting hobbyists as suckers. Are professional users really asking for a D50 emulation, really?

I don't know who's minds anyone thinks will be changing, but, to me, this has that all too familiar Roland smell to it.

Return to “Instruments”