Reaper 5?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Been using Reaper since version 3, I program a lot, compose a lot, many hours a day (When I am not designing 3d stuff)...mostly these days its almost entirely done in the midi Piano Roll and CC control etc...(Matrix on Logic)
Been doing this for many years since the early days of Logic (C-Lab Creator)...and I still use Logic from time to time...on the Mac.
But yeah a little while back I moved to a Xeon E5-2680 (20 virtual cores) on Win 7 64.
I decided to buy a new license as my old one ran out....and I wanted to use Reaper 5 without the nag screen, anyway it has really impressed me, I used the Reaction interface with 4xx and that was nice, but recently on 5 I decided to use the Def Commala Light, and re assign some of the actions and set up some new toolbars.
All I can say is this has been a very uplifting experience for me, the minor changes in 5 have made a huge difference to me.
There are obviously things I would like, like handles on the envelope beziers...instead of pre set curves, some more control over Walter (mixer styles, channels and functionality etc...)
But all in all this is a really good app....no I am not a fanboy, too old for that.
I just recognize good programming and style when its there, all previous versions of Reaper felt a bit clumsy to me (although versatile) but 5 is on another level, its much more slick.
I design 3d stuff too...for a living as well, so I write and build stuff for 3d apps and also call up codes (scripts etc..) so I know a bit about this stuff, and Reaper 4 was good, but I think they have really raised the bar with 5.
However they.... (the Dev's) dont seem to be getting a lot of credit for version 5, but thats probably a good thing, hype has a way of fizzling out, flavor of the month becomes outdated quickly, but good solid programming often stands the test of time, and that seems to be what they are focused on.
I think its a good direction fro Reaper and I hope they keep it up.
Cheers

Chris-S wrote:Why has the midi_eater JS plugin been removed from v5?
Here:

Code: Select all

desc:midi eater

@init

@slider

@block
while (
  midirecv(ts,msg1,msg23);
);

@sample
:)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Anyone understands why item fading is only working for audio-items and not for MIDI items?

Because item fades are using MIDI velocity, not CCs.

Yes, I know. But velocity works of course for vel-sens patches only.

I don't see a reason, why fading on audio level should not be possible for Midi items.

Like the track volume knob is affecting the audio level (with default midi-link settings).

Chris-S wrote: I don't see a reason, why fading on audio level should not be possible for Midi items.
I do, because of the signal stream.
MIDI items send MIDI data to VSTi's or external synths without any 'knowledge' what they send to, it's a one way communication, up to this point there's no audio involved. For audio fades to work on MIDI items there would be some two-way feedback communication (audio is sent back to the MIDI items) necessary which isn't.

Different with audio items, as they contain 'audio' already, as the name implies, fades can work on the audio items directly.

No matter what that Reaper is one hell of a DAW :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”