Fabfilter announce TIMELESS 3 !!!!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Relativity for Timeless 3 Timeless 3

HOTF wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:48 pm I have bought Timeless 3 on launch and I have mixed feelings about it. It has a great presets for some quick inspiration. You can go extremly deep if you want wih can be really nice. However, my main complaint is that the gui is overly complicated for a delay plugin. I understand FabF wants all thier plugin to kind of follow the same GUI philosophy and it works well for most of their plugins ( pro q, volcano, pro c, pro L and other). But for me setting a up a basic delay setting is way longer and less intuitive to do in timeless three than my go 2 delay plugins.
This is my feeling, too. For simple applications, I go with Valhalla or stock, sometimes Replika. Which ones do you prefer if I may ask?

ralfrobert wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:00 pm
HOTF wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:48 pm I have bought Timeless 3 on launch and I have mixed feelings about it. It has a great presets for some quick inspiration. You can go extremly deep if you want wih can be really nice. However, my main complaint is that the gui is overly complicated for a delay plugin. I understand FabF wants all thier plugin to kind of follow the same GUI philosophy and it works well for most of their plugins ( pro q, volcano, pro c, pro L and other). But for me setting a up a basic delay setting is way longer and less intuitive to do in timeless three than my go 2 delay plugins.
This is my feeling, too. For simple applications, I go with Valhalla or stock, sometimes Replika. Which ones do you prefer if I may ask?
This will be boring answer for you if you are not using Live but ableton's stock Echo Device is my go to. It's suprisingly good imo, better than most 3rd party plugins.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Thanks, not boring at all. We should all use stock plugins more, and Ableton has great stuff included.

I also use Timeless less than other FF devices but it is mostly because actually most of the time I need simple delay and DAW basic plug ins are way enough (I am on Bitwig and they already have multiple delay devices stock...).

One thing to be noted for reason studio users, the stock delay "The Echo" is quite awesome with some very unique features... Not as versatile as Timeless but definitely fun...

I think the best workaround for that is not to always start from scratch for simple things. Either start with the presets (the "simple/basic" category is setup for this exact reason), use the preset green slider mappings for "mojo" or setup your own simple delays from scratch once, then save them.

This is the general workaround for things that have a ton of features. I mean, you wouldn't start building a new synth from scratch in Reaktor every time you need one. :)

.. then again, if you need only simple thing, using Reaktor/Timeless is possibly not the most optimal way to go, but they are both capable of doing most things.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Does anyone know of any tutorials that show some applications/ use cases for the side chain input via either audio or midi to trigger the envelope follower or envelope generator? I searched youtube and there are all sorts of tutorials, but this this not covered by anyone. It's mentioned in the manual, but not really explained on how best to use the feature.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

HOTF wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:12 pm
This will be boring answer for you if you are not using Live but ableton's stock Echo Device is my go to. It's suprisingly good imo, better than most 3rd party plugins.
Before I read your post, I just thought: the problem with timeless is, that even with all the tweaking options, I never get it soo good sounding as Ableton‘s Echo. I not just agree with you. I‘d even say that Echo is one of the best sounding delay plugins around. Much better than the here well regarded Valhalla Delay or Replika XT IMHO or unfortunately Timeless.

Ableton's Echo is indeed an absolutely fantastic delay. If it was my main DAW it'd be my go-to as well.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

SamDi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 am
Before I read your post, I just thought: the problem with timeless is, that even with all the tweaking options, I never get it soo good sounding as Ableton‘s Echo. I not just agree with you. I‘d even say that Echo is one of the best sounding delay plugins around. Much better than the here well regarded Valhalla Delay or Replika XT IMHO or unfortunately Timeless.
Any chance you could prove it sounds better than Valhalla Delay and Replika XT? Maybe some quality examples, a blind test, and then the exact settings used?

I strongly dislike the Ableton experience, so will never get to experience that delay plugin. I do have both Valhalla Delay and Replika XT. I also sold Timeless3 (the only FF plugin I ever sold after buying).
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't find echo better that Replika XT, it simply doesn't have all the modes XT has. Yeah it can make a nice tape delay but not a BBD or really saturate while doing tape.
dedication to flying

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Any chance you could prove it sounds better than Valhalla Delay and Replika XT? Maybe some quality examples, a blind test, and then the exact settings used?

I strongly dislike the Ableton experience, so will never get to experience that delay plugin. I do have both Valhalla Delay and Replika XT. I also sold Timeless3 (the only FF plugin I ever sold after buying).
Not sure he can ''prove'' it sounds better than the others because it's subjective after all. For me the reaosn I use above some 3rd party vst is that it strikes the perfect balance of features and usability. It sounds good to my ears but im sure replika and others sound just as good.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Jac459 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:26 pm I also use Timeless less than other FF devices but it is mostly because actually most of the time I need simple delay and DAW basic plug ins are way enough (I am on Bitwig and they already have multiple delay devices stock...).

One thing to be noted for reason studio users, the stock delay "The Echo" is quite awesome with some very unique features... Not as versatile as Timeless but definitely fun...
It’s a weird thing to argue the benefits of a simple focused device for a simple need. Of course that’s true, and always will be. Anyone loading up Timeless to get a simple dotted 8th note delay, when a basic plugin is available, is putting themselves through needless complications for no benefit. Possible? Of course, but why?

But Timeless is a totally different thing. It’s not a communications satellite, it’s a mission to explore Mars. If that’s not for you, that’s fine, but try to compare like with like.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Jac459 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:26 pm I also use Timeless less than other FF devices but it is mostly because actually most of the time I need simple delay and DAW basic plug ins are way enough (I am on Bitwig and they already have multiple delay devices stock...).

It’s a weird thing to argue the benefits of a simple focused device for a simple need. Of course that’s true, and always will be. Anyone loading up Timeless to get a simple dotted 8th note delay, when a basic plugin is available, is putting themselves through needless complications for no benefit. Possible? Of course, but why?

But Timeless is a totally different thing. It’s not a communications satellite, it’s a mission to explore Mars. If that’s not for you, that’s fine, but try to compare like with like.
I think you misunderstood (or I didn't express myself well).
I am saying that for simple stuffs, I use simple tools like my daw delay. And for complex stuffs I prefer to use timeless.
I have the feeling that you are saying the same thing no ?

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:12 pm

Nobody is going to be able to prove that… As mentioned its subjective.

Echo is a great character delay. Live has multiple delay devices, and Echo is yet another option that is not clean and made to replicate tape delays with an ability to saturate in a very pleasing way.

I love FabFilter Timeless and Echo doesn’t replace it for me, but Timeless also doesn’t replace Echo.

I don’t use Replika XT despite having it, only because I have a crazy number of delays, including hardware delays. It does sound good though.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:08 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:03 pm

I think you misunderstood (or I didn't express myself well).
I am saying that for simple stuffs, I use simple tools like my daw delay. And for complex stuffs I prefer to use timeless.
I have the feeling that you are saying the same thing no ?
Yeah, I was agreeing with you.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Effects”