Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger VPS Avenger 2

wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Damn it, just had a hard crash with version 1.04 in LogicX while editing the combfilter - not much of a log this time, rather rudimentary:

Thread 10 Crashed:: com.apple.audio.IOThread.client
0 com.keilwerthAudio.VPS-Avenger 0x00000001214b242d CCombFilter::doFilter(float) + 77
1 ??? 0x1fec1e4a1fec1e4a 0 + 2300246813391461962

---

This just happened again, exactly the same crashlog, something is broken with the combfilter.
Interesting that you brought this up Simon. Since using Avenger, I have had ONE crash.

It was adjusting the comb filter while playing notes. Since doing that, have not played notes while adjusting and no crashes.

So, my question is this. While you were editing the comb filter, were you also playing notes at the same time? If so, try editing the filter without playing the notes. I think you will find that the filter doesn't crash. It's something to do with interpreting the change in timber on the fly and not so much the comb filter itself.

I'm falling back on my programming background to somewhat determine this, while I could be completely wrong. Somehow though I believe there is a connection. If I had the code (and of course knew what language this was written in) I could verify this myself.

Regardless, I think that's the first thing the devs should look at.
On Windows there is no such problem. I can adjust the COMB filter regardless of playing notes or not. Also, there is no difference between playing notes per keyboard, or when they are programmed in a pianoroll. It seems that this issue is OSX bound?

wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Damn it, just had a hard crash with version 1.04 in LogicX while editing the combfilter - not much of a log this time, rather rudimentary:

0 com.keilwerthAudio.VPS-Avenger 0x00000001214b242d CCombFilter::doFilter(float) + 77

---

This just happened again, exactly the same crashlog, something is broken with the combfilter.
Interesting that you brought this up Simon. Since using Avenger, I have had ONE crash.

It was adjusting the comb filter while playing notes. Since doing that, have not played notes while adjusting and no crashes.

So, my question is this. While you were editing the comb filter, were you also playing notes at the same time? If so, try editing the filter without playing the notes. I think you will find that the filter doesn't crash. It's something to do with interpreting the change in timber on the fly and not so much the comb filter itself.

I'm falling back on my programming background to somewhat determine this, while I could be completely wrong. Somehow though I believe there is a connection. If I had the code (and of course knew what language this was written in) I could verify this myself.

Actually with this second crash, I just loaded the patch and played a note, then the crash occurred so I didn't even look at the combfilter.

exmatproton wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

---

On Windows there is no such problem. I can adjust the COMB filter regardless of playing notes or not. Also, there is no difference between playing notes per keyboard, or when they are programmed in a pianoroll. It seems that this issue is OSX bound?
As Wagtunes is using Windows afaik, it's clearly not Mac related only.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

---

Thank you. Yes, clearly not just OSX related.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Hmm..that is weird. I am playing with the comb as we speak. No such issue. And never had this issue. Maybe it is the amount of filters? Like, when adding more filters, the comb filter give problems?

*edit* just played notes on a 4 filter/1 osc set-up. No issues whatsoever

The fans still go crazy for me V.1.024. It takes 1-2 minutes longer but otherwise it´s the same.
The GUI is flickering very often too (since the beginning), CPU spikes and a few other little quirks......let the beta goes on!
Let´s just hope it´s fixed until V.2.0 :scared:

exmatproton wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Hmm..that is weird. I am playing with the comb as we speak. No such issue. And never had this issue. Maybe it is the amount of filters? Like, when adding more filters, the comb filter give problems?

*edit* just played notes on a 4 filter/1 osc set-up. No issues whatsoever
Well, as the comb has so many options it could be anything, it could also be related to the kind of oscillator I am using in this patch (re-synthesis) in combination with the comb, so let the devs do the guessing/analyizing part.

Cinebient wrote:The fans still go crazy for me V.1.024. It takes 1-2 minutes longer but otherwise it´s the same.
The GUI is flickering very often too (since the beginning), CPU spikes and a few other little quirks......let the beta goes on!
Fan behavior hasn't changed here either, especially since I can't use ECO mode as the the whole plugin lags and the knobs don't respond at all to the mouse as they should, so editing a patch is impossible in ECO mode.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Cinebient wrote:The fans still go crazy for me V.1.024. It takes 1-2 minutes longer but otherwise it´s the same.
Fan behavior hasn't changed here either, especially since I can't use ECO mode as the the whole plugin lags and the knobs don't respond at all to the mouse as they should, so editing a patch is impossible in ECO mode.
I tryed all modes but there is not really a different, beside (as you said) the GUI updates really slow sometimes. Sometimes i have to wait a few seconds when i drag a modulation until it happens.
Now i have to apologize officially here for all the things i complained ( :wink: ) about Falcon. It is a million times (dramatized) better in terms of CPU usage and GPU optimation.
Now i have a new tool to complain :hihi:
But really, it´s a bit sad. Maybe macOS is a bitch (iOS behave the same and yearly updates are a mess). I begin to hate it more and more (but i still need Logic Pro X).
I try to be a bit more patient and have to calm down (f**king bad year so far in general) and hope really it will be usable with V. 1.1 at least :pray:
Otherwise i see what support says about a licence transfer.

Perhaps the more tech minded could answer this question, if I turn on ECO mode in 1.24 I see no difference what so ever in the responsiveness of the GUI, it still works fine . Is this because I don't have a retina or hi def screen ? I have none of the fan issues here.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:Perhaps the more tech minded could answer this question, if I turn on ECO mode in 1.24 I see no difference what so ever in the responsiveness of the GUI, it still works fine . Is this because I don't have a retina or hi def screen ? I have none of the fan issues here.
Same here. Eco mode is still 20 fps, which is plenty fine.

On hd display and i use 75 percent! Big issues with bluer and visability of text. By far the worst userexperience for an hd display. Defently for 2k and 4k users. Yet most users are still on full hd display only. I think this needs a fix. Bigger font. The system settings text is not readble at all not even with glasses. So many complain about this! Maybe program it on an hd display so you can test it on it at same time. Save you the work of people complaining. From what i see you guys havent tested this on full hd displays. 23-24 inch. Laptop must be horrible and unusuable with hd displays

The sustain pedal forget-setting-bug on the SYS page remains, Rene said yesterday he would fix it, did it slip though?

A tempo-synced mod envelope does not stay in sync with a tempo-synced step sequencer when a note is held over several bars, they run out of phase, could be related to the sync problems in the arpeggiator. How many bugs and niggles are we going to find until the end of today.......what is this?

Version 1.0.24 : quick performance report and short bug list:

Machine: Dell XPS 15 i7-4702HQ (quadcore) CPU @ 2.20 GHz, GeForce GT 750M, 16 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 OS (64 bit)

DAW: Ableton Live 64-bit, version 9.7.1.

GPU/CPU (running at ECO mode):

Quite usable on my machine.
Fans are running very normally - no more high usage.
Can run at 100% GUI size now.
Can open 2 instances at 75% GUI size now.
GUI open vs GUI closed has little impact on CPU (again, all of this is in ECO mode).

Summary: for me, after 30 minutes of testing, things look very good.

I trust that there will be continued optimizations made for those that are still having issues.

Additionally:

I'm able to run at "High" FPS mode at 100% GUI size now, without any high fan usage.

Bugs (minor):

1. Clicking on the collapse button to collapse all of the modulations often take 2 clicks. This does not appear to be a GUI responsiveness issue. It appears that the state of the button (collapsed vs expanded) isn't "known" by Avenger until it's clicked the first time. Note that this doesn't happen on all presets.

2. The Step Sequencer appears to be sending modulation information even when no notes are pressed. I can mimic this fairly often by creating a new patch (Init), dragging the Step SQ as a modulation source to the Filter cutoff, and applying negative modulation amount. This can be seen, as the modulation ring around the Cuttoff knob will then pulse, as if getting modulation information from the Step SQ, even though no notes are playing.

Note that this doesn't happen all the time. Some patches this is true, some it's not. Also, for some patches, where this doesn't seem to be an issue initially, after pressing a note, then the issue will occur (modulation pulsing even after all notes stop playing completely).

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior, as if the Step SQ is always supposed to be running, but it would seem to me to be unintended behavior, as its occurrence does not appear consistent.
Last edited by OzoneJunkie on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”