Arturia Xmas Gift Reverb PLATE-140

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, convolution can be done at zero (or to be exact: near zero) latency. Even Signaldust's great little freeware convolution processor (which has disappeared from the public, but is still available on the web if you use your search skills) has close to none latency. Same for the CPU load: can be done with small CPU footprint. Usually it's either low latency with a modest amount of realtime CPU cycles involved or slow latency with less CPU tax.

I think the evidence is quite overwhelming: Arturia's Plate is based on convolution / impulse responses with added algorithmic / emulation segments for the input tube saturation and the modulation part.

BTW, it's not meant to say that Arturia's plate is inferior in any way - in fact I love the interface and it sounds great. I've been a fan of impulse response based plate sound in the box for years and haven't found an algorithmic reverb that outperforms a well sampled plate impulse yet, even though I heard many good things about the Valhalla one. Convolution is very well suited for plate reverb sound, while algo plugins main domain is the recreation of classical and modern digital algorithmic reverbs. Same with spring reverb: convolution based, even though less flexible since you always have to rely on that one static impulse response loaded at a time, typically sounds more realistic than algo recreations of springs, since it's much easier to just sample that sounds, then to algorithmically recreate what's physically happening inside a real spring reverb device.

Arturia's plate is in essence a nice interface to dial in convolution based plate sound with a few extras added on top, which make it a valuable and useful plugin that can make life easier. Sure, I could just load a convolution plugin with my favourite plate IRs on a FX bus and add some EQ and modulation to the chain and some tube saturation plugin in front - this will probably create a similar reverb sound and I have often used that method. Still, it's always nice to have a plugin which has it all on board and takes away the hassle of setting up such a chain manually. Quicker / more efficiency - that's what you typically pay for when you buy a plugin today, since all the basic stuff is already covered by free plugins anyway today.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am Quicker / more efficiency - that's what you typically pay for when you buy a plugin today, since all the basic stuff is already covered by free plugins anyway today.
Good point! Plus a nice looking UI. This is what makes music software so interesting from a usability research perspective.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

wow so many free stuff this year, amazing!

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am Yes, convolution can be done at zero (or to be exact: near zero) latency. Even Signaldust's great little freeware convolution processor (which has disappeared from the public, but is still available on the web if you use your search skills) has close to none latency.
There's a discussion here.
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=403082
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Picked it up
:borg:

Arturia have spoken! The answer to "is it algorithmic or convolution" is...

...it's both.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=425

andrelafosse wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm Arturia have spoken! The answer to "is it algorithmic or convolution" is...

...it's both.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=425
Very interesting, good thing the case is closed.

andrelafosse wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm Arturia have spoken! The answer to "is it algorithmic or convolution" is...
Strictly speaking “convolution” is an algorithm, too. :wink:

fese wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:47 am Strictly speaking “convolution” is an algorithm, too. :wink:
we already had this liguistical discussion a couple of pages ago
convolution could also be .... what? ...ah, yeah; "modeled" ;-)

gotta love those marketing geniuses

Who are you referring to?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

What I'm intrigued by is that they actually coded an algorithmic reverb, decided it was too high of a CPU hit, and then made an IR of their own custom algorithmic plate. :)

andrelafosse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 am What I'm intrigued by is that they actually coded an algorithmic reverb, decided it was too high of a CPU hit, and then made an IR of their own custom algorithmic plate. :)
This is intriguing... I wonder if the future plans will eventually include the algorithmic release once they either find an effective way to tame the CPU hit, or once performance improves enough on the majority of machines to tolerate it.

I believe the science of convolution is still in progress. I feel that every convolver I hear sounds and operates a little differently, so to me it does matter that the convolver itself is an algo process that can impart a sound. It's not enough to have good IRs, any reverb plugin also needs solid design in their convolver.

Very interesting to find out that the IRs here are not from a physical plate but from their plate algo. Shocking at first but it makes sense that they got their algo to a point that they really like it, and being an algo they can tweak the settings to invent new plate models that don't exist in the physical world. Then they captured all of that into IRs to save on CPU.

The problem with IR is, that it is a linear effect. Any nonlinearities won’t translate correctly, you would need to model them somehow... I think the idea to combine the two does make a lot of sense...
But all this is theoretic mindfuck, it sounds good! That is more important. When the first digital reverbs appeared, all recording engineers would rather trash the plates. Back then they where considered bad sounding compared to the new technology. But all attempts to recreate the real world had their own valuable aesthetic and all boils down to a matter of taste...
Arturias gift certainly is tasty - thanks for that...

they explained that they took the linear part of the model and put it into the IR. the rest is still modeled, it seems.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”