One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh man, there are so many awesome entries. Definitely need to put more effort in next month, I wasn't sure what to expect since this was my first time participating. :) Good job everyone so far!

I gotta say spiral generator was one real twisted mofo and I loved it. Easily the funnest time I've had making f*cked up leads and basses.

Gonna have zero time tomorrow so here it is out on its ass, cold and dead. Too bad I was stupid and didn't start until 4 days ago huh. Coulda done something longer and better but this is where it's gotta end to have any hope of seeing daylight. Might try to bang the mix into shape tonight if I can but f*ck me work is brutal this week and my ears just can't take the abuse ahahah

Still a damn fun time workin with this synth. Tiny bits of LFO to phase and density on everything makes some real damn nice warbly unstable shit. F*ckin love it. Architeuthis man you rock!

https://soundcloud.com/user-965186642/k ... lasses-mix

Stuff used...
Cubase native...
Autopan
Compressor
Envelopeshaper
Frequency
Limiter
Maximizer
Mixerdelay
Morphfilter
Multibandcompressor
Revelation
Reverence
Roomworks
Stereodelay

3rd party...
Airwindows totape5

Presets...
All init.

My entry : soundcloud.com/jruegg/jruegg-resilence

The ending is the same as the intro, but reversed in time, I was running out of ideas so I just tried to recycle what I already had :) (I think I did something similar in OSC 64)

Tracked in Renoise 3.1.0 :cool:
I initially started in Mulab, but CPU usage was too much, so I changed to Renoise, wich can auto disable silence plugins, and that helped a lot. (in mulab I should had to bypass manually inactive plugins while working on the track)

34 instances of Spiral Generator (This time, I didn't had to layer a bunch of instances to get nice bass sounds)

Renoise FXs:
Stereo Expander
5 band EQ
Gainer
DC Offset
Exciter
Compressor

Renoise MetaDevices:
Signal Follower
LFO
Instr MIDI Control
Instr Automation
Hydra
Key Tracker
Doofer

External VSTs:
OTT
MEqualizer
MSaturator (previously MLimiter)
Ambience
Tal Dub 3
Tal Reverb 3
Tal Reverb 4
Tal USE
GVST Multiband Compressor
TDR Nova

Enjoy! :hyper:

Sorry guys, I haven't commented on every entry, but I do so when inspiration hits. J. Ruegg, finally, someone takes advantage of what makes Spiral Generator great, it's an "instant growl bass" kinda synth, just add water, and you are the first to take advantage of that (as far as I've heard). And I just want to apologize ahead of time because you are clearly using Z Amount which detunes the synth, which then requires retuning. My future synths will not have this issue.

Nice instrument. Had a good time messing around with it over a few evenings.
https://soundcloud.com/jupitergroup/jovexli-kosh

12 instances
Renoise
Native FX: EQ, Delay, Filter, Compressor
Free FX: FerricTDS, TAL-Reverb 4

I already submitted my track but did not yet properly describe it.
Here's the description:

HiEnergy - InSpirals

Prototyped with Synfire 1.8, produced with Live 9.7, all used effect plug-ins are part of Live

19x Spiral Generator
7x Utility
9x EQ8
some instances of Delay, Reverb, Saturator, Compressor, Glue Compressor, Limiter

There are many nice tracks in this round. Some with great sound design, some with cool composition and some with good mix, mastering but, there is one to rule them all . Someone "cheated" again :lol: . There is one track (again) that are on different level from others - no offense to anyone, it's just I feel it that way.

For the first time only one track get 5 points from me in order to show my respect. :hail: :hail:

Amen :clap:

Hi all, my track for OSC101
https://soundcloud.com/zarf/zarf-sheep-101
26 instances of Spiral Generator in Ableton Live
DAW eq, compressors, reverbs, delays, utility, limiters, autopan
M4L stock midi parameter LFO, Live midi arpeggiator
OTT, Ferric TDS, LoudMax, TAL-Reverb-4

Good luck everyone - some great and inspirational works from what I've heard so far :clap: :)

Here is my entry:
https://soundcloud.com/alienxxx/alienxx ... s-of-chaos

DAW: Ableton Live 9 (32 bit version).
Effects used: Ableton Live's Simple Delay, Reverb (chorus, etc switched off) and Amp. Glaceverb, TAL-Tube.
The drum sounds where created in Spiral on a separate proj file, saved onto wav files which where then used on the proj for CPU efficiency.

The synth has a very digital and raw sound. As much as possible I have tried to preserve that and make it the character of the track. Hope to have achieved that in a musical way.

TrojakEW wrote:There are many nice tracks in this round. Some with great sound design, some with cool composition and some with good mix, mastering but, there is one to rule them all . Someone "cheated" again :lol: . There is one track (again) that are on different level from others - no offense to anyone, it's just I feel it that way.

For the first time only one track get 5 points from me in order to show my respect. :hail: :hail:

Man anyone with ears knows whose track is the clear winner I mean wtf it's obvious right?

And I don't got any ears so... you wanna go ahead and tell us anyway?

https://soundcloud.com/soundemote/mother-land-dance

x14 instances of Spiral Generator

Effects:
- Freeverb
- W1 Limiter

I was specifically planning on not entering the contest, but at the last minute I felt like I needed to submit something. J.Ruegg's track is partially responsible.

Armagibbon wrote:
TrojakEW wrote:There are many nice tracks in this round. Some with great sound design, some with cool composition and some with good mix, mastering but, there is one to rule them all . Someone "cheated" again :lol: . There is one track (again) that are on different level from others - no offense to anyone, it's just I feel it that way.

Man anyone with ears knows whose track is the clear winner I mean wtf it's obvious right?

:harp: No one knows for certain, but if it's all the same to me...
...I'll leave the mystery beehee... :violin:
:ud:(Anyone ever watched "The Leftovers"?)

Taron wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:

:harp: No one knows for certain, but if it's all the same to me...
...I'll leave the mystery beehee... :violin:
:ud:(Anyone ever watched "The Leftovers"?)
Hahahaha cmon man you know it's you! Playing humble and all that ahahah

Thing is, I really wouldn't be so sure about it. There's some great stuff and I can sense the wrath of the purists upon me! :shock: :scared: :lol:
At any rate... :hug: just because!

I too have a favourite but I'm not telling anyone. So there.

Good luck to all, I don't think this one is in the bag .. and really a silly thing to pronounce before the voting has even started.

Anyways, remember to re-listen as people may have tweaked things since the original post.

Return to “Instruments”