Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

Thank you again for this! :)

karrikuh wrote:New release 1.1.3
:wheee: :clap: :tu:

Shame it is windows only. Does it work with MULAB?

What a fantastic synth this is! So glad i tried it ! :love:
no sig

This synth is absolutely killer. Love the sound, love the GUI, love the feature set. Everything just works how it should. Lots of character for amazingly low CPU cycles. Very impressive little synthesizer.

The only things I would add is I would like to see the tune knob on osc 2 have a wider range. Two octaves would be nice. And as other have mentioned, it's kind of odd not being able to use the LFO and the envelope to mod the filter at the same time. This is such a standard feature on most classic synths, I really miss it.

Other than that, as simple as it is, Charlatan sounds as good or better than the best free VAs out there. It somehow sounds "fat" without getting that typical aggressive, muddy, or "plastic" sound IMO. Amazing work! Thanks!
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

The first 3.30 minutes are made with Charlatan only, then other instruments come in, but Charlatan was the first source of inspiration

http://www.macvibes.com/TEMPORSOUNDS/HO ... OnighT.mp3

Do not judge the instrument from this, though, it's a synth and you can (should/are supposed to) make your own sounds, so just give it a try, you'll like it :)

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:The first 3.30 minutes are made with Charlatan only, then other instruments come in, but Charlatan was the first source of inspiration

Do not judge the instrument from this, though, it's a synth and you can (should/are supposed to) make your own sounds, so just give it a try, you'll like it :)
Sounds gorgeous.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

Yep, it's a very nice synth :)

Feature request: Can this synth have free-running oscillators? The oscillators always seem to be in phase, which makes some sounds less powerful or weird-sounding.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:The first 3.30 minutes are made with Charlatan only, then other instruments come in, but Charlatan was the first source of inspiration

Nice stuff dude, just my music. :) And yeah, this plugin sounds v good.

Thanks, very kind of you, glad you like it :)

nineofkings wrote:Feature request: Can this synth have free-running oscillators? The oscillators always seem to be in phase, which makes some sounds less powerful or weird-sounding.
In the latest version 1.1.3, oscillator phases of different voices in poly mode are decoupled. However, when Osc 1 and 2 frequencies of the same voice differ by some multiple of an octave and no or the same pitch mod is applied to both, they keep a fixed phase relationship. This is intentional as it keeps the sound consistent across notes. Also, it allows you to create new waveforms by employing ringmod. It's also the same behavior you find with sub oscillators found in hardware synths. If you want to decouple phase of osc1 and 2, just introduce a very slight detuning.

afreshcupofjoe wrote:The only things I would add is I would like to see the tune knob on osc 2 have a wider range. Two octaves would be nice.
I agree. I'm thinking about a new "+2 octaves" switch for Osc2.
afreshcupofjoe wrote:Other than that, as simple as it is, Charlatan sounds as good or better than the best free VAs out there. It somehow sounds "fat" without getting that typical aggressive, muddy, or "plastic" sound IMO. Amazing work! Thanks!
Nice to hear, thanks!

Would really want to explore this synth more but it seems theres a bug when I'm using it in FL Studio. The presets just change to init on its own :(
\m/

edit:nevermind
miedex

Return to “Instruments”