Spectra v1.01 Public Beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

emdot_ambient wrote: I'll give yours a whirl and see what happens. Thanks!
And did you?

Torben

Torben wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:
Torben wrote:
Megakazbek wrote:It does not respond to sustain pedal, and that's very bad to me because I use it very extensively. Other than that, I find Spectra a very nice synth :)
It responds to Sustain, Sostenuto, Legato and Hold2 Pedals, not many synth can say that ;) Check if you got some MIDI filter in your Host that does not pass the Sustain.

Torben
Hmm, that's odd, it didn't respond to my sustain pedal either. I'm using Cubase SX3 as a host. The sustain pedal goes into an Evolution MK-361c MIDI controller, which goes into the PC via USB. The sustain pedal works on other VSTi's like Lounge Lizard 2 and I haven't changed any settings on it. Any ideas what's up?
No, Spectra responds to all pedals. You might want to check the MIDI implementation card for details. As long as MIDI CC#64 are passed to Spectra (and not filtered or changed) it will work.

Torben

Sorry to contradict you, but nope - not a single change to any sound here either, sustain down or not. And no extraneous controller information sent by the keyboard, 123 or otherwise, that would explain it.

(That's why I went on about mapping release #2 to CC 64 during the preset patch creation - only way I could get a pianoish response out of the sounds.)
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

pethu wrote:
Torben wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:
Torben wrote:
Megakazbek wrote:It does not respond to sustain pedal, and that's very bad to me because I use it very extensively. Other than that, I find Spectra a very nice synth :)
It responds to Sustain, Sostenuto, Legato and Hold2 Pedals, not many synth can say that ;) Check if you got some MIDI filter in your Host that does not pass the Sustain.

Torben
Hmm, that's odd, it didn't respond to my sustain pedal either. I'm using Cubase SX3 as a host. The sustain pedal goes into an Evolution MK-361c MIDI controller, which goes into the PC via USB. The sustain pedal works on other VSTi's like Lounge Lizard 2 and I haven't changed any settings on it. Any ideas what's up?
No, Spectra responds to all pedals. You might want to check the MIDI implementation card for details. As long as MIDI CC#64 are passed to Spectra (and not filtered or changed) it will work.

Torben

Sorry to contradict you, but nope - not a single change to any sound here either, sustain down or not. And no extraneous controller information sent by the keyboard, 123 or otherwise, that would explain it.

(That's why I went on about mapping release #2 to CC 64 during the preset patch creation - only way I could get a pianoish response out of the sounds.)
As I understand your mail you wanted your Sustain pedal CC#64 to be assigned to the second release time CC#69 and naturally therefore had to do some external mapping.

Torben

Torben wrote: It responds to Sustain, Sostenuto, Legato and Hold2 Pedals, not many synth can say that ;) Check if you got some MIDI filter in your Host that does not pass the Sustain.
There's no MIDI filter, and my keyboard does not generate any unusual MIDI messages. The sustain pedal works perfectly in all other VSTi's.

FWIW, The sustain pedal work perfectly with Spectra here (Roland pedal through a CS2X).
I remember somebody posting in the Wusik forum a few months back, he couldn't get sustain to work with Wusikstation either while it works for countless others. Strange thing that sustain midi message...
Quote of the day: "If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names."--Elbert Hubbard 1856-1915

Megakazbek wrote:
Torben wrote: It responds to Sustain, Sostenuto, Legato and Hold2 Pedals, not many synth can say that ;) Check if you got some MIDI filter in your Host that does not pass the Sustain.
There's no MIDI filter, and my keyboard does not generate any unusual MIDI messages. The sustain pedal works perfectly in all other VSTi's.
What does this say when you use the pedal?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/323.html

Torben wrote:
pethu wrote:
Torben wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:
Torben wrote:

Torben

Torben

As I understand your mail you wanted your Sustain pedal CC#64 to be assigned to the second release time CC#69 and naturally therefore had to do some external mapping.

Torben
Yes - but just because CC #64 didn't do anything for me, and I mistakenly took it for not implemented...

As for my data when recorded in a sequencer, my sustain pedal acts perfectly normally - CC #64, 127 when down, 0 when released.
pethu.se/music-releases

Cubase SL3 doesn't seem to like MIDIMonitor, but I too can not get the sustain pedal working with Spectra. It works perfectly with the A1 synth built into Cubase. I use a Yamaha PSR-620, pretty standard keyboard.

I have recorded a little midi sequence with the Sustain pedal used and it shows the automation under C64. The value is either 0 (off) or 127 (on).

Any thoughts ?

cheers
Fots

soundpalace wrote:Cubase SL3 doesn't seem to like MIDIMonitor, but I too can not get the sustain pedal working with Spectra. It works perfectly with the A1 synth built into Cubase. I use a Yamaha PSR-620, pretty standard keyboard.

I have recorded a little midi sequence with the Sustain pedal used and it shows the automation under C64. The value is either 0 (off) or 127 (on).

Any thoughts ?

cheers
Fots
Hmm you are not using the GUI keyboard with the sustain pedal are you?

Torben

nope, I am using my MIDI keyboard for both playing and sustain mate. I promise that I tried the exact same thing with the A1 and the sustain pedal worked with the A1 but not with the Spectra.

pethu's post just before mine actually states a very similar fact. It doesn't seem to respond to C64.

Any ideas ?

I really like this synth btw :D

Cheers
Fots

BTW, my hosts are Tracktion 2 and energyXT. Both handle sustain pedal with other VSTi:s well.
pethu.se/music-releases

Torben wrote:What does this say when you use the pedal?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/323.html
It says C 1 Cntlr: 64 - Hold Pedal (127) when I push the pedal, and C 1 Cntlr: 64 - Hold Pedal (0) when I release it, just as it should be.

soundpalace wrote:Cubase SL3 doesn't seem to like MIDIMonitor, but I too can not get the sustain pedal working with Spectra. It works perfectly with the A1 synth built into Cubase. I use a Yamaha PSR-620, pretty standard keyboard.

Any thoughts ?

cheers
Fots
I haven't got the slightest idea. You see, all MIDI events (note on/off, pitchbend pedals etc.) are handled by the same MIDI handling code. If the plugin would not respond to MIDI at all in some hosts it was one thing but there are no logic explanation on why a single MIDI event should not work for some people when all other MIDI events does and the plugin works well for most users. If it is not some overseen setting in your Host or a automation that overrules sustain I don't know why. I expect you are trying the sustain on a patch that does have a sustained level (unlike a piano, el-bass etc) right?

Torben

yes, I definitely am Torben. This is quite a tricky one as I know exactly what you mean. I'm afraid that I have no other hosts to try it in.

I'll play with it a little more today. I assume that from your end, Spectra code has been made to handle controller 64 ? If you have any ideas to try, please feel free to release another beta for me and others to test. I am happy to help work on this.

Cheers
Fots
Last edited by fgimian on Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have tried to use Spectra in different hosts (I have Tracktion 2 and Sonar 5) and found really strange behaviour. In Sonar 5 it doesn't react to sustain pedal when played in real time, but if I record a track with some pedal usage and then play it back, it would react to pedal messages correctly. It's even more strange in Tracktion 2: pedal doesn't work in real-time, and when I try to record some playing, it just won't record sustain pedal messages on a track with Spectra! If I add these messages manually to a track, it then plays it back correctly.

Return to “Instruments”