[EDIT] SURGE is possibly the best synth I've ever used.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

claes@vemberaudio wrote:You have to use the Scene LFO (SLFO1-6) for that. LFO1-6 is calculated per-voice so routing them to FX parameters doesn't make sense internally.
Ah, but keytracking was left out of FX routing too. I mean... there's no SCENE KEYTRACKING is there? I won't be complaining any time soon though. But keytracking on the delaytime can create a cool effect when the delay is set to like .024 and the feedback is set almost to 100%. :)

Architeuthis wrote:And wait, I hear a few people disliking the sound of this synth? That totally ruins it for me.
no wonder I don't like a single thread with you on it.

So did I get this right, you absolutely love zeta, but as soon as someone says a few bad words about it, it's completely ruined for you?

Do you have no balls?

agh more insults. :shrug:

Architeuthis wrote:agh more insults. :shrug:
quoted for future reference in case you start editing again.

You know...I never really liked the sound of Z3ta. Too digital and clean for me. Capable of some power sounds, but not an awful lot of real character.

The sort of synth that the kids use. Not something you'd go for if you were a pro...

So did I get this right, you absolutely love zeta, but as soon as someone says a few bad words about it, it's completely ruined for you?
:hihi: :hihi:

bmanic wrote:The sound. It's probably a combination of the, IMHO!!, very weak filter and the sub-par oscillators. I don't know. I simply think it sounds extremely sterile and un-musical. :shrug:

Cheers!
bManic
exact opposite of how i feel. one of my fav synths ever. :P

filters are certainly not weak (and this is one reason i hate many recent vstis (except fabfilter and surge)), maybe you had the oscs being spit to the defalt 2 filter buses instead of one? i think the oscs are great too, no aliasing and many different harmonic variations to choose from. its certianly not a personality synth sonically though, and because everything is by defalt so synced and perfect it can certainly sound v sterile if you dont program it to not, for instance free oscs and slight pitch mod on each goes a long way with zeta.
Last edited by martian on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The one time I tried zeta I thought it sounded awfully similar to Emagic ES-2, if a little less flexible, and that's my favourite sound design synth par none.

It sounds thoroughly digital at best, but I can't design massive skyscraper sized spacecraft landings or millenium-falcon-engine-revving-to-light-speed or ultra realistic pod/spaceformula sounds with anything else. The vector engine allows for sheer evolving power for that kind of stuff.

I have a preset bank in it I suspect is worth quite a bit of cash due to the sheer "ultrarealism" of its scifi engine sounds.

bmanic wrote:Am I like the only one in the world who does NOT like the sound of Z3ta at all? :)

Cheers!
bManic
I guess not. Maybe I'm just too old, but I didn't dig its sound. You love it? No prob. That's why we have plenty to chose among.

xRAVENx wrote:And what's that about substandard oscillators in z3ta? If you mean the absence of aliasing in the oscillators which is sometimes used in a creative way.. then yes.
I think my wording was wrong. Substandard is not what I mean. Sterile is more like it. They simply are "too clean", not exciting. Could be that I like a bit of aliasing (seriously, I don't). :P

Could actually be that the oscillators are just fine and it's all the filter itself. I just can't put my finger on it but Z3ta is simply a bit boring in my opinion. Technically it is a truly fantastic synth. Very rich set of features although GUI could be a lot more tweaker friendly. If somebody likes the sound of Z3ta then I highly recommend it. Simple as that.

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

martian wrote: .. and because everything is by defalt so synced and perfect it can certainly sound v sterile if you dont program it to not, for instance free oscs and slight pitch mod on each goes a long way with zeta.
Ah! Yes, you might have nailed it! Maybe I didn't uncheck the oscs to be free running. That usually helps a lot. Hmm.. dare I give the demo another go (I can't afford the bugger if I happen to like it!)?

.. GGnnnnnnnn! Bastard! :x

- bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

simple z3ta single filter med reso work out, and imposcar at the end (another fav synth).

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=92692

for more analog sounds i find the 'rand' control (global parameter to offset all oscs pitch independantly of one another) and the 'dc burst' parameter for very punchy subs really useful. in fact with features like the dc burst, 4oct pitch modulation and the fairly comprehensive envelopes im finding it hard to find a better synth for sub.

but i can certainly appreciate zeta being percieved as sterile, esp for polyphonic sounds, it can take a bit of work. but i think many actually like the really strong (sterile to some) harmonic stuff with everything in sync.

oh yeah, to make the filters more agressive, run them in serial with distortion after the first, for even more agressive (and potentially unusable) hit the reso boost button :shock:
bmanic wrote: dare I give the demo another go (I can't afford the bugger if I happen to like it!)?

- bManic
id stick with surge. as you say propably more imediate personality and interest. i still need to dig deeper into surge though, v impressed so far.

easy,
Last edited by martian on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow!
I dont understand why this synth is so unpopular.
I was looking for something to replace my waldorf Q and Komlexer and Surge are the two synths at the moment who offer similars features with amazing sound quality.
(Imho) there is alot of softsynth with complexe synthesis engine but sound quality is not always there.
Thats why i usualy rely on more simple specialized softsynth.(im very anale about ocs and filters).
This synth does have alot of caractere and remind me of an ARP.
I am having lots of fun playing with the wavetable ocs, feedback and waveshaper to make dirty pads.
Now its time to choose between Komplexer and Surge , hargggg!.

surge isnt unpopular in this thread, if thats what you were refering to?

simple z3ta single filter med reso work out, and imposcar at the end (another fav synth).
See...that's why I'm not overly keen on Z3ta. Those sounds had some impact, for sure, but I obviously picked them as digital. There's just something about it that sounds cold, even when there's modulation going on all over the place. The impOSCar one sounded immediately fluid and organic - I was going to say "fat" but that's cliched and probably the wrong word (it's hard describing sound in words). I know the impOSCar one is digital, but hearing it blind, I'd probably swear it was an analogue source (which shows how good the VSTi is :wink: ). In that patch, there wasn't even as much pyrotechnics going on, but it immediately had character and oomph.

The Z3ta ones had some oomph, but (sorry)...very little character to me.

I'm not just anti digital...I think the Wavestation and Wusikstation are incredible synths. I love 'em both, and they can sound incredibly digital.

Hey Kritikon, what do you think of Surge's filters?

Return to “Instruments”