Polyslax - Pearl

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maybe so, but that means I am too! But this is the sound I'm going for for one of my albums. Pretty Much Paul's Boutique nails it.

Wow,

I don't come here that often so I don't hear a lot of tracks, but this is cool as F**k. The Hip-Hop influence is cool, not too much to make it fully blown Hip-Hop, but enough to make it groovy. All I can say is you're one talented guy (you are one guy right?). Mature stuff...

Sorry I haven't listened to more of your tracks. They deserve to be listened to... :oops:

John

P3U6!SUn 3H+

dusted william wrote:maybe so, but that means I am too! But this is the sound I'm going for for one of my albums. Pretty Much Paul's Boutique nails it.
Droppin science like... 8)

PB is one of my desert island discs fo sho!
Image Image

The Unsigned wrote:Wow,

I don't come here that often so I don't hear a lot of tracks, but this is cool as F**k. The Hip-Hop influence is cool, not too much to make it fully blown Hip-Hop, but enough to make it groovy. All I can say is you're one talented guy (you are one guy right?). Mature stuff...

Sorry I haven't listened to more of your tracks. They deserve to be listened to... :oops:

John

P3U6!SUn 3H+
Cheers John! Yeah, far as I know I'm still just one guy! :D
Image Image

nice one!

what i like about this track:
the intro, the bass, the beats (lovely percussion!), the funky goodness, the randomish weirdness, the mix (using cheapo headphones though)

what i don't like:
the fade-out at the very end

Really cool, groovy track. 8)

:love:
killer track, 'slax!
I want to offer some helpful feedback, but I just tapped along and smiled.
It's one of the best things I've d/l'd in quite a while, and is definitely going on my permanent playlist, thanks!

still listening-
so tell us a little about how you made it!
..what goes around comes around..

cptgone wrote:nice one!

what i like about this track:
the intro, the bass, the beats (lovely percussion!), the funky goodness, the randomish weirdness, the mix (using cheapo headphones though)

what i don't like:
the fade-out at the very end
Thanks cptgone!

Do you mean you don't like fades in general or you don't like what's happening during this fade?
Image Image

Glassback wrote:Really cool, groovy track. 8)
Much appreciated Glassback! :D
Image Image

ouroboros wrote::love:
killer track, 'slax!
I want to offer some helpful feedback, but I just tapped along and smiled.
It's one of the best things I've d/l'd in quite a while, and is definitely going on my permanent playlist, thanks!
Thanks very much ouroboros!
ouroboros wrote:still listening-
so tell us a little about how you made it!
Had to go back to my working files to figure out some of this...

There are 3 main drum parts (RMX x2 and µTonic) from which I created about a dozen tracks ranging in length from 12 bars to 140 bars. These were made using mainly Crystallizer, FilterFreak and Echoboy from Sound Toys. There are 3 bass parts done in Trilogy. I did 3 leads using Surge but dropped 2 of them in the final mix. I recorded 2 long Epiano parts in Lounge Lizard and made one Epiano fx track out of one of them using FilterFreak, Echoboy and Ableton's Grain Delay. I also took some clips from a field recording I made for the voice snips at the end, and these were run through FabFilter's Timeless delay. I used Eqium as a tracking eq on most of the tracks. I used Waves' API and SSL compressors on the bass and drums respectively and their API 550A eq on a couple of tracks. I also used the SSL compressor on the master bus. Altiverb was used on a return track to add space. After rendering I ran the track through Waves' L316 limiter. The whole thing was recorded, arranged, mixed and rendered using Ableton Live.

That's about it. If there's anything else you want to know feel free to ask. :)
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Do you mean you don't like fades in general or you don't like what's happening during this fade?
both, the fade out sounded not quite right to me, just a detail though, i'm sure others will disagree.

Poly, how are you liking those Waves API EQs? I've only heard them only other peoples' final mixes and haven't gotten a chance to really put them through their paces. They had some API channels where I used to work and I would take them over an SSL 9000 channel any day. You definitely have some expensive taste in plugins! :lol:

I've played with the Sound Toys TDM plugs but haven't picked up the native versions yet. Boy, those are just sound mangling monsters aren't they?

cptgone wrote:
polyslax wrote:Do you mean you don't like fades in general or you don't like what's happening during this fade?
both, the fade out sounded not quite right to me, just a detail though, i'm sure others will disagree.
Gotcha, and that's cool.

Yeah, I am a bit of a fadin fool. I find it hard to construct endings for this type of music, so I usually either fade or, occasionally, just do the flat-out all stop. :lol:
Image Image

justin3am wrote:Poly, how are you liking those Waves API EQs? I've only heard them only other peoples' final mixes and haven't gotten a chance to really put them through their paces. They had some API channels where I used to work and I would take them over an SSL 9000 channel any day. You definitely have some expensive taste in plugins! :lol:

I've played with the Sound Toys TDM plugs but haven't picked up the native versions yet. Boy, those are just sound mangling monsters aren't they?
Hey Justin! That's the only track I've used the API plugs on, so I don't them all that well yet. Certainly like the sound I'm hearing so far tho. And yeah, you know how it goes with gear addiction! :lol:

The Sound Toys stuff is just incredible! No question my fave set of fx.
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”