Audio Damage Automaton now available...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi d4l3d,
There's no limit to the length of a sample that would be processed by either Automaton OR Replicant. they should be set in the signal path as vst effects; they don't have to be "loaded" with a sample (I *think* that may be what you were asking?)

Also- I have experience using both (much less with Automaton... just got it yesterday ;) ) on "non-beat" material: I've used them on electric piano and clavinet sounds and they're both excellent with melodic material as they are with beat oriented stuff. Certainly since the effects are set up to change in sync with the global clock of your host DAW, these FX will give a rhythmic feel to whatever you send thru them, but I would definitely say they're not STRICTLY for rhythm loops. quite nice with other stuff :tu:

Thanks muchly

bmanic wrote:I like the concept of the sequencer but I'm not so thrilled about the effects that it controls.
I feel exactly the same way. The sequencer is interesting but I don't need any more glitch/buffer effects. I find myself using mainly the filters and delays in Effectrix, for example.

It would definitely be nice to have the kind of effects bmanic mentiones.

To keep the interface as is, these new effects modules could be made available just as an option. For example, if I didn't want to have the bitcrusher, I'd open the library of supplied effects and choose, say, a flanger, which would then replace the bitcrusher effect. This would keep the GUI simple.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

After watching both demo videos and having the modulation options explained, I'm pretty much set on buying this tomorrow when I get home from school.

Consider it a gift to m'self for being a good student. :tu:
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:
https://answerphone.tumblr.com/

_oswald, yer gonna dig it. Automaton is tripendicular. (Chris- you can quote me ;) )

bmanic wrote:How do you use it with other FX? Or you just mean you insert other 3rd party effects after Automaton?
Stick Automaton in send mode, use only modulator triggers, set the modulator to 100% dry, et voilà, a cellular automata-based gate. Stick a phaser and delay after it, route original audio to another channel, and you have intermittent affected audio mixed in. Might sound something like this:

http://www.sighup.ca/misc/ca_gate.mp3

That's a four bar loop, first dry, then 12 bars with the Automaton channel turned on. Admittedly, using it this way, the effects all seem superfluous, but perhaps an over-spec'ed CA gate is better than no CA gate at all?

shamann wrote:....Stick Automaton in send mode, use only modulator triggers, set the modulator to 100% dry, et voilà, a cellular automata-based gate...
...and the "pretty flippin' clever" award goes to...shamann!!!:clap:
seriously. That's some brilliant stuff. I've been using different combinations of follow actions and unlinked envelopes in Live to achieve that sort of random gating, but this is just an awesome idea. rack a few Automatons using with subsequent fx using that method and bob's yer uncle :D
thanks for the tip, shamann :tu:

This is going straight to the top of my "to-buy" list... Those Airwindows plug-ins will just have to wait a little while longer :)

For those, who already bought Automaton - please compare it with db Glitch. What is the difference? To be more correct, I'm curious about structure and glitch advance possibilities. Thank you.
Last edited by Igro on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

not having actually used automaton (saw the video demo tho') i thing it glitches things with a bit more rythmic smoothness compared to glitch maybe.

Igro wrote:For those, who already bought Automaton - please compare it with db Glitch. What is the difference? Thank you.
Updates and support (more often) are the first things that come to mind even though I don't have automaton..........yet.
Atari 1040ste / Master Tracks Pro / Casio VL Tone

Just bought Automaton - it sure is a great plug (plug number 7 of my AD collection).

I have a feature request - it feels a bit early for feature requests, but hey ..... :)

I'd like to be able to set the measure to something other than 4/4 ..... like 7, 11, 12, 6, 5 (you get the picture I'm sure) beats etc as I work a lot in different time sigs. This would be awesome-a-ton.

I can see a conflict with current set up ie 1/2 measure values etc .... maybe have dual controls (1) the current way and (2) a simple 2-32 knob or slider or a little arrow you can slide along the bottom row. And a switch to switch between them.

Even if it is possible to detect host's measure length ..... and judging by other plugs it isn't - I'd still like to be able to set it manually.

Also, more FX would be very cool, but I am not complaining this is a great plug - just being greedy.
There are too many groups, there are too many musicians - M.E.S.

i'm against more fx in Automaton ... better to keep it simple, but a new plug with the same sequencer and different effects would be cool!
"It dreamed itself along"

Hm, does it have midi-out?

Return to “Effects”