Zen features requests

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Big Tick wrote: Clicking a category adds it to the current search. It's a "AND" combination, so when you click more categories, the number of results is reduced. However, for plugins or authors or bank, there is no sense in having a "AND" combination because a preset only belongs to one of these. This is why, for these columns, clicking a new item deselects the previous one.
If I have selected a plugin and an author (i.e. Sylenth1 and Xenos), and then I choose a different plugin (i.e.Olga), the author remains selected. If the author has no presets for the newly chosen plugin, the preset count changes to 0 for both the plugin and the author. Due to the sorting scheme, the author may disappear from view. Then I have to scroll down the list and deselect the author before I can go further. No big deal, but it is annoying.

Would it be possible to clear the author selection when a new plugin or bank is selected if the author has no presets in the group?

I love this thing you've made a little more every day. :tu:
Last edited by ZombyWoof on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tick wrote:
swampmonster50 wrote:
imported user presets are named the same way as the original .fxp
More accurately, they are named the same way as the preset in the original .fxp.
5. right click on preset/tag to rename/delete
I'm not sure why you would want to rename a preset in Zen ?

8. a preset rescan option, to remove deleted presets from the results
Normally deleted presets disappear from the results anyway. Don't they ?

thanks for ur reply, u helped clear up a few things....

as for naming the presets the same as the fxp.. i meant inside the user folder. currently they are named like ...2147483655,2147483656, etc

as for renaming presets.. one mans junk, is another mans treasure ;), renaming is good for future reference... i remember this being a common feature request in an early version of kore, so im not alone :D

presets i had deleted from the user folder were still showing up in the results. if i clicked on it, it said ... couldnt find preset. download again?

im using zen to organise my own presets, ive spent hours upon hours of hand picking presets from factory and user banks to create my own collection. i wont be using the online database, as it will probably download all the presets i spent weeks deleting

thanks

Well, yes, it's because the presets/ folder is mostly managed by Zen - renaming or deleting files manually in there is asking for trouble :)
im using zen to organise my own presets, ive spent hours upon hours of hand picking presets from factory and user banks to create my own collection. i wont be using the online database, as it will probably download all the presets i spent weeks deleting
Why not tag your collection using custom tags instead ? Then you just have to select a custom tag make all the unwanted presets disappear - but still, you have the benefits of having new presets automatically downloaded.

also...the vst version isnt workin properly in presonus studio one... the gui isnt workin right

what's wrong with it ?

I just installed the studio1 demo... the UI loaded fine, but the app crashed after a while. Looks like it isn't stable in Studio1... more bug hunting to do...

hi - can I stop the lists jumping around when de/selecting stuff? it's doin my head in! i feel like i'm chasing the focus all the time...

pwal wrote:hi - can I stop the lists jumping around when de/selecting stuff? it's doin my head in! i feel like i'm chasing the focus all the time...
it's "uncheck the autosort tags" option, yeah?

Yep. Autosort sorts the tags by number of matches. When disabled, they're sorted alphabetically.

'Tick

This may well be possible now - if not, how about the ability to search the patch database by the unique tags that all users have used (ie not just filtering by your own local user tags plus Categories, Timbre etc )?

This is how it could work:

Users would be able to assign any number of descriptive tags to a patch without necessarily having to add them to their visible user Tags list (to prevent the user tags list being over encumbered with one-off or only occasionally used tags). These tags would be saved alongside the patch in the global server database. Users could then search for patches by tag.

Example: say I'm working on a dubby track - I would be able to query the global database for the following tags: 'Dub', 'Dubby', 'Space Echo', or even 'Dub AND Bass' etc. and the search would return a list of all patches matching those tags.

Does that make any sense? Is it already possible now?

Not now, not really. How would users specify the tags they want to search ? type them ?

I like the idea of a large tags cloud, distributedly managed by the users - because then, users could customize the tags they want to see in their UI. This would solve the recurring problem of defining the best tags list for presets categories.

anychance of an idiot proof step by step guide to getting this working...the quickstart is not helping at all

:?:

Big Tick wrote:Not now, not really. How would users specify the tags they want to search ? type them ?
Yes. But that would presumably require an input field? Perhaps make the current search field dual use - to allow searching either by preset name, or search tags.

And yes, I think a Tags Cloud is more-or-less what I was trying to get at.

Kriminal wrote:anychance of an idiot proof step by step guide to getting this working...the quickstart is not helping at all
Have you tried the videos ?

I've just (successfully) uploaded a load of patches - a few (hopefully constructive ;) ) comments:

- The uploading process can be temperamental - sometimes upload is almost instant and private patches are replaced straight away. Other times private patches disappear, but the public patches take a good while to reappear, or the private patches just hang there until the flashing 'uploading' sign stops and the upload process apparently fails (though this could be my flakey internet connection?).

- I attached user tags to some patches that I imported. After uploading the patches, the public patches that replaced them no longer had these tags associated with them and I had to redo the tagging.

In view of the above, might it be better if uploading didn't cause private patches to be deleted and then replaced by the public ones (which lose any local tags that have been attached to them) - it seems a bit unnecessary, but maybe there's a reason for this?

It would be useful to have the option to attach my author tag to patches either at import or upload point, rather than having to select and tag them individually afterwards. Alternatively a 'select all patches' option for the browser window would make assigning tags to a whole batch quicker.

My impression having used the tag system is that I would much prefer to have full control of creating all of the tags - many of the global tags and the categorical hierarchies just do not gel with my (entirely subjective) way of categorising patches. Equally I'm sure that my own system would not necessarily suit everybody else. So I would prefer to have the ability to choose all of the top level categories, have the option to add sub-levels *per category* (and have these sub levels only visible when the relevant top level is highlighted), and also have the option to create further sub-levels eg KEYS>EP's>Fender.

I'd also like somehow to be able to add one-off, or occasionally used tags without having to clutter up the Category, Timbre, Tags lists.

The aforementioned cloud tagging idea would be really nice - so *all* user tags are collected and associated with a patch, and one could then search for patches tagged with 'x', 'y', 'x+y', 'x NOT y", or view all user tags associated with a patch, or view patches with a high correlation of similar tags etc.

(I really hope I haven't come across as being overly negative - that was certainly not my intention. :) )

Return to “Big Tick”