There are two kinds of people who make music nowadays

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me like Satie, Varese, Cage, Brotzmann, whoever
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I make music because it's a world and I want to explore that world, and bring back souveneirs of the trip so I can remember. Every phase of my life has a soundtrack, 50% created by me and 50% created by artists I enjoy, and each track brings back memories of when I first heard or wrote it.

I play with sound because having a relationship with sound is it's own reward. I can sit for hours, creating nothing, but just playing with sound like a child plays with plasterscene, just enjoying the endless possibilities. For me, it's therapy. Everything that happens to me, everything I think about, fear, or love, is transmuted into sound. And sometimes I just come up with complete bollox and delete it the next morning :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

LimboLoves wrote:1. For the money (boooooo!)
What's with the boo-ing? I have a family to feed, mortgage to pay. If I can do that making music, what's wrong with that? Does that make me less of a musician? That is a sentiment I read sometimes (between the lines) on fora. I have no desire or intention of becoming famous or anything like that. Just making a living. I'm just happy I can do that with music.

All of the above does ofcourse definately not rule out:
2. For the joy of making music (crowd goes wild)
:D

JorgV wrote:
What's with the boo-ing? I have a family to feed, mortgage to pay. If I can do that making music, what's wrong with that?
absolutely nothing
Does that make me less of a musician?
of course not, I dont understand less of a musician though
That is a sentiment I read sometimes (between the lines) on fora.
I hope none of my posts made you feel this way, if so that was not the intention at all.
I have no desire or intention of becoming famous or anything like that. Just making a living. I'm just happy I can do that with music.
That's awesome, I actually found for myself working at my passion distracted from my passion but I know many more who have done very well making their living from their passion.

All of the above does ofcourse definately not rule out:

2. For the joy of making music (crowd goes wild)

:party: :band: :hihi:
Last edited by Hink on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

dp :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
JorgV wrote:
Does that make me less of a musician?
of course not, I dont understand less of a musician though
Probably a language barrier thing :wink: I mean that you sometimes get looked down upon if you are "doing it for the money" instead of "The Art".
I hope none of my posts made you feel this way, if so that was not the intention at all.
Nope, nothing personal at all!

Peace, and carry on! :party:

I'm in two minds on this subject...

Firstly:

I pity people who can't do art, (Someone who is the opposite to 'an artist' is a person who only values things that are on the outside "a shallow person", generally people who are into cars and clothes) I feel creating things helps one to explore your feelings and understand yourself better, therefore improving yourself as a person, not to mention the fact that it's healthy to have a way to channel thoughts and feelings (be it negative or positive) into a piece of art that was created from nothing that you can keep and that (at least potentially) lasts forever.

But then on the other hand, music is absolutely exhausting, if you're trying to do music as well as work a full time job there's not much downtime, I get really tired... I've 'tried to have a break from making music'... but I can't, it's like an addiction, I've always been a natural artist, (when I was a baby I could draw better most adults), I would explode if I wasn't creating things.

My point being, I would 'like to make money from music', so that I don't have to attend my day job, and therefore sit around making music for hours every day... because that's what I do as well anyway :wink:

I'm only in it for the money, I've set my sights high. I know nothing about myself.

"This ain't rock n roll, it's actually Genocide!" -spoiler alert nyah nyah
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

There are two kinds and i don't like both.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I have been recording sounds since I took apart my first cassette recorder in the late 60's.

I am not more enlightened than the next guy, but I have been making recorded sounds for myself for more than 40 years, and it really wasn't until I began using the internet (and got beyond dialup speeds) that I have ever shared any of it.

I do it because I like doing it, I am happier doing it, and have done it without any recognition or income from it for many decades.

well, and the vibrations from the noises I make keep the universe from unraveling, killing us all. So I think I am due some thanks.

mellotronaut wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mellotronaut wrote: i do it for the cats :party:
perhaps you misunderstood when you were told to do music for pussy :hihi: :hihi:
:oops: yes, i was sooo confused and now i live it. :lol:
Rammstein. How they got away with that clip (Pussy) without getting jailed or divorced is a miracle.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

My parents started me taking piano lessons when I was six years old, so I obviously wasn't in it for either the fame or the money at the time. I fell in love with computers when I first got my hands on one when I was nine. From the very first time I heard a synthesizer, I was enthralled by the sound of it. Music and computers together as one- what isn't there to love?

I've shared only a tiny fraction of what I've created over the years, and only because it was necessary or asked of me. I really don't care whether my music is heard by anyone else. As Hink said, I play music because it makes me feel good, and finishing songs gives me a sense of accomplishment. And as Sendy wrote, having a relationship with sound can be its own reward. I can get lost for hours with my modular, or a guitar and ebow, or a piano, without recording anything.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Make money, f...... bi......es.

I'm not blingy enough though (though I have the FAT beatz)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mellotronaut wrote: i do it for the cats :party:
perhaps you misunderstood when you were told to do music for pussy :hihi: :hihi:
You nasty. You nasty thoughts! Why u no think of the kit..........I mean pussy?

ariston wrote:Seriously, I think everyone ultimately makes music out of a desire to communicate, to be seen and heard, and to receive attention. Whether it's the bedroom crowd or the O2 arena, that's what it's about. I don't buy this idealistic "I have a drive to create" thing, which is somehow designed to make you feel superior to vacuous, superficial chart toppers.We're all the same, we want to receive acknowledgement for what we do.
Wow, what an extremely subjective point of view on the nature of all individuals! :-o
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”