Is the Sylenth 1 still good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA DUNE 3 Hive 2 Spire Sylenth1

themachinelt wrote:
chk071 wrote:Neither the supersaw in Dune 2 sounds near as good as the one in Sylenth1
Are you sure? Dune 2 supersaw sounds better then my virus, it has more body and strenght, im not sure if we are talking about same Dune 2. Sylenth1 lacks the body and the top end is very strident/harsh in a bad way, you definatly dont want to use that for supersaws.

Just compare couple of soundsets from same preset designer. Sylenth1 is so thin, you must have very small boomy speakers not to notice that.
I listened to the 2 Vandalism soundsets and I like the Dune 2 one better. Sylenth has that muddy or maybe incoherent quality to the mid bass... It always reminds me of a boombox with the bass boost on... It can make a thump, but it is not the same as a speaker than can naturally hit the bass notes.

chk071 wrote:You are aware though that Sylenth1 has been THE choice for all kinds of different EDM music and especially for the supersaw type sounds pretty much since its release right? Fair enough if you think that Dune's supersaw sounds better than the one of your Virus, i still say it isn't up to par with Sylenth1's, nor with that of other synths. And i still say it has a thin and fizzy sound which already was prominent on Dune 1 too. Both are valid opinions, but the hype around Sylenth1 surely doesn't come out of nowhere, if other synths were perfectly capable of the same kind of thing, they'd surely would find more usage (and create an equal hype) too.
Yes and it was my choice also 7 years ago :)

And dont forget the choices are usualy made by recommendation popularity and synth being a classic and so on :) Sylenth1 is a classic, its been around for years, it has been promoted by big names at the time well when Sylenth1 was actually best option if you dont want to cash on hardware, wich made its mark wich makes it dificult ordinary Joe to convince or to show that there is another tool to do that thing only better. Ive worked with many producers in dance music and believe me even most famous dont know much besides Virus, Nexus, Sylenth1, Z3ta+ 1.. So here is your answer why its so popular.

themachinelt wrote:
chk071 wrote:You are aware though that Sylenth1 has been THE choice for all kinds of different EDM music and especially for the supersaw type sounds pretty much since its release right? Fair enough if you think that Dune's supersaw sounds better than the one of your Virus, i still say it isn't up to par with Sylenth1's, nor with that of other synths. And i still say it has a thin and fizzy sound which already was prominent on Dune 1 too. Both are valid opinions, but the hype around Sylenth1 surely doesn't come out of nowhere, if other synths were perfectly capable of the same kind of thing, they'd surely would find more usage (and create an equal hype) too.
Yes and it was my choice also 7 years ago :)

And dont forget the choices are usualy made by recommendation popularity and synth being a classic and so on :) Sylenth1 is a classic, its been around for years, it has been promoted by big names at the time well when Sylenth1 was actually best option if you dont want to cash on hardware, wich made its mark wich makes it dificult ordinary Joe to convince or to show that there is another tool to do that thing only better. Ive worked with many producers in dance music and believe me even most famous dont know much besides Virus, Nexus, Sylenth1, Z3ta+ 1.. So here is your answer why its so popular.
Plus it and many soundsets were super easy to pirate

..And super cheap for any CPU. But yeah, I think it's the most pirated audio software ever. You can even see a lot of Youtube videos from a lot of high profile producers running cracked versions shamelessly.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

all software self destructs after 10 years.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I'll gladly buy that old Moog from you.....seeing as how there are newer synths with more features for less money now..... :roll:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Astralv wrote:Hey there. Sylenth 1 is on sale at $99. I don't have it yet and I see many 3rd party sound libraries for it. I am wondering if it is still able to compete against newer synths and if I need it. I have all other synths available on the market. Is it really such a great synth for today? I compose EDM, trance, dubstep. Thank you.
yes, it's fabulous.

This one is high on my list. Think it is a good balance between easy to understand and power to create a wide range of sounds. Dune 2 has 3 osc and just 1 filter. Sylenth has 4 osc and 2 filters together with some routing flexibility. Should make it easier to stack sounds.
Dúnedain

Dúnedain wrote:This one is high on my list. Think it is a good balance between easy to understand and power to create a wide range of sounds. Dune 2 has 3 osc and just 1 filter. Sylenth has 4 osc and 2 filters together with some routing flexibility. Should make it easier to stack sounds.
Sylenth1 has 2 oscs and 2 layers wich makes 4 oscs.

Dne has 8 layers and aditional distortion/filter. So 3osc x8 thats 24 total.

Dúnedain wrote:This one is high on my list. Think it is a good balance between easy to understand and power to create a wide range of sounds. Dune 2 has 3 osc and just 1 filter. Sylenth has 4 osc and 2 filters together with some routing flexibility. Should make it easier to stack sounds.
IIRC, Dune2 has 24 Osc's and 8 filters... (8 layers)

Sylenth does the best psytrance bass on the planet, and also very tasty psy squelches. :party:

Aside from these specific tasks, Sylenth is good when you need basic synth sounds with decent quality at minimum effort. It is very limited but good at what it does. Newer synths, like Spire, Diva and Serum have more textured and detailed sound but it comes with more CPU hit. As for EDM, Sylenth is not a musthave now but is good option if you are just starting out or have a slow machine unable to run new CPU hungry synths. There are also tons of soundbanks for Sylenth but they mostly sound the same because the architecture of the synth doesn't allow much variety, i wouldn't buy Sylenth just for soundbanks.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

themachinelt wrote:
Sylenth1 has 2 oscs and 2 layers wich makes 4 oscs.

Dne has 8 layers and aditional distortion/filter. So 3osc x8 thats 24 total.
No, Sylenth is just one layer and 2 filters and 4 osc per layer.
Dune2 has 8 layers, but I can easily create 8 layers of Sylenth by just running 8 instances of them.

This is the sound flow in Sylenth1:

So to answer the initial question "Is Sylenth still good?": yes!
Dúnedain

recursive one wrote:Sylenth does the best psytrance bass on the planet, and also very tasty psy squelches. :party:
If you discount the nord lead ;)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
recursive one wrote:Sylenth does the best psytrance bass on the planet, and also very tasty psy squelches. :party:
Hardware synths are an urban legend, they don't exist. At least, I've never seen them in reality.

:D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
Hardware synths are an urban legend, they don't exist. At least, I've never seen them in reality.

:D
lol - that's how it seems around here actually
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Instruments”