Simplistic plugins that get the job done

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GrabtharsHammer wrote:My definition of "simplistic" doesn't necessary mean that the plugin only has a single knob. Of course there are some parameters that need to be there... a compressor/dynamics plugin without at least a parameter for attack is not really that usable. And I never liked products like Neutron that analyze my tracks and squeeze them in some sort of formula.

Neutron doesn't do any of that unless you ask it. In fact, I think that the iZotope interfaces are very elegant and minimal with respect to the features.

Consider the reverb in Nectar as another example. It sounds great and has very few controls, pre-delay, decay, width, wet and dry levels. It's just a good sounding plate reverb.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/saturat ... be/details

Sounds great. Does everything it should for me.

GrabtharsHammer wrote:I am suprised that no one mentioned Valhalla plugins yet.

It seems to be a natural law here, that sooner or later every thread will get hijacked by Reaper or Valhalla users. Reaper users already confirmed that rule, still waiting for someone to scream "Valhallaaaa!", though...

Thinking about it... Valhalla Plate really is a pleasantly simplistic plugin, too. ;-)
How is it simple?! It has 11 dials on the gui.. I wouldn't call any Valhalla reverbs simple at all.

When I think of 'simple' I think of focused, fairly one trick pony plugins that do a particular thing well. Things like Waves One Knob/Greg Wells, Softube Saturation Knob, some of the PA plugins like Opto/SPL series/bx_cleansweep/Niveau Filter, Sonalksis Creative Filter/Digital Grimebox/Uber Compressor etc.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

chk071 wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/product/saturat ... be/details

Sounds great. Does everything it should for me.
One of the very few itb distortions that sounds good. Have used it on many masters for that clipped converter sound. Shame that you can only get it with a painful ilok and Gobbler combo :dog:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Yeah, i tried a few saturators before it, but none sounded as good to me. Not easy to get it right, i guess.

evilantal wrote:LSR Audio SK series
http://www.lsraudio.com/singleknob.html
I find this developer intriguing, but dang paypal only payment! It's a mission in my country even though the Paypal inventor grew up in my country, the irony really amazes me. I really dig the stuff they did with the Lindell series at Plugin-Alliance especially the 254E.

For simplicity I'd say EQ Ranger Plus comes to mind, I'm a sucker for graphic EQs, nice to do simple broad strokes.

GrabtharsHammer wrote:I am suprised that no one mentioned Valhalla plugins yet.

It seems to be a natural law here, that sooner or later every thread will get hijacked by Reaper or Valhalla users. Reaper users already confirmed that rule, still waiting for someone to scream "Valhallaaaa!", though...
I like to scream "VALHALLA!" in the same tone of voice that I heard someone scream "METALLICA!" once.

OK, I just have to tell that story: It was Day On The Green, 1991, at the Oakland Coliseum. Metallica was playing their first concert since releasing the Black Album. They were the headliners, with a bunch of other bands opening up (Primus, Faith No More, Queensryche).

As we entered the grounds of the Coliseum, we saw a super drunk 80s style metal dude, staggering along a chain link fence. He was holding on to the fence for dear life, dragging along at a 45 degree angle. At long last, he gave out one last mighty cry of "METALLICA!" and collapsed to the ground.

It was 12:30 in the afternoon.
Thinking about it... Valhalla Plate really is a pleasantly simplistic plugin, too. ;-)
ValhallaPlate was about the right level of complexity for me. Honestly, I'd prefer to create plugins that were this simple, or even more so. SpaceModulator is super simple (5 knobs, plus a mode selector), which belies its origins as an imaginary stomp box.

Unfortunately, not all plugins lend themselves to this level of simplicity. Sometimes you need to have a fair number of parameters. A 5 knob flanger is fun, but a 5 knob virtual analog synth would be frustratingly limited.

I've found that creating a simple plugin isn't just a GUI decision. For me, it has to happen at the algorithm level. A simple plugin needs to be designed from the ground up to be simple. My more recent dev work has been frustrating, as I'm trying to create something simple, while still having more advanced options.

Sean Costello

Sean Costello , you should make a plugin that screams Metallica next !

Back OT for me , Those Digital Phishphones plugins were kinda simple ... Remember Blockfish compressor ? :phones:

fedexnman wrote:Sean Costello , you should make a plugin that screams Metallica next !
Yeah, a one knob Metallica screamer! :hyper:
Then Slayer.

Nothing gets easier than Klanghelm. No installer, subscription, email address, plugin central or any of the other BS. The free plugins are a couple of knobs each that work very well and sound even better.

http://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

Airwindows

Volko Q3D

Acustica Audio Tan
Acustica Audio Ochre

All these are free, 'simple' and will get the job done.
Dub it up blacker than dread

valhallasound wrote: Unfortunately, not all plugins lend themselves to this level of simplicity. Sometimes you need to have a fair number of parameters. A 5 knob flanger is fun, but a 5 knob virtual analog synth would be frustratingly limited.

I've found that creating a simple plugin isn't just a GUI decision. For me, it has to happen at the algorithm level. A simple plugin needs to be designed from the ground up to be simple. My more recent dev work has been frustrating, as I'm trying to create something simple, while still having more advanced options.

Sean Costello
Curious about not having any visual signal meters/lights in your plugins, is that for aesthetic, CPU/efficiency, or "use your damn ears" reasons?

I was coming here to say Valhalla verbs, especially Shimmer.

I'd also argue that a lot of the Soundtoys plugins fit the bill, as they hide the more in-depth controls in the "tweak" menu.

Sonalksis made some simple plugins that I believe were sorta the "one-knob" archetype.
GrabtharsHammer wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Sean Costello , you should make a plugin that screams Metallica next !
Yeah, a one knob Metallica screamer! :hyper:
Then Slayer.
Then "Play some Skyrnrd!"
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Effects”