A poll for Virus owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Do you need a softsynth emulating Virus?

- I have Virus and I'm fine with using it as a hardware synth, therefore I'm not interested in emulations
27%
- I have Virus and woud love to have a VSTi/AU emulation
23%
- I had Virus in the past and woud love to have a VSTi/AU emulation
35%
- I have Virus or had it in the past, not interested in emulations because there are more interesting software and hardware synths
15%

Total votes: 86

RELATED
PRODUCTS

The native plugin ported by Access themselves would be avesome (at least because I believe the wavetables and spectral waveforms are propietary and I think it may be hard if not impossible to recreate the complex wavetable moprphing algorithms using some other WTs). Anyway this is very unlikely to happen at least as long as they are selling the hardware.

On the other hand I think a third party emulation which captures the overall feel and can be programmed in the same way to get very similar sounds already would be fine even if doesn't sound exactly the same at the same settings.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Was just going to mention the chips not being the same but it has been already. For those having sync errors
may I suggest getting hold of a high quality and short USB2.0 lead 0.5M or less (of course I am sure you have been round the houses with the USB ports on the machine already) and a short lead only works if you are not a hardware knob twiddler.

My system seems pretty good with absence of sync errors it was previously other occasional oddities that crept in but fairly few syn errors.

Lindy 0.5m CROMO is a high quality and short lead that is currently available and worth a try over a 2M one.

How does a different lead make a difference?

I have never owned a Virus but love the way it sounds so I would absolutely love an emulation. Shame you left us out of your poll.

So question. ARE there any real Virus emulations that are 64 bit? I'm guessing no.

And if not, and if Virus is so damn popular, why hasn't one of the big guns made one yet?

Seems puzzling to me with all the Minimoogs, Odysseys and whatnot that we already have, why not a Virus VSTi?

wagtunes wrote:I have never owned a Virus but love the way it sounds so I would absolutely love an emulation. Shame you left us out of your poll.

So question. ARE there any real Virus emulations that are 64 bit? I'm guessing no.

And if not, and if Virus is so damn popular, why hasn't one of the big guns made one yet?

Seems puzzling to me with all the Minimoogs, Odysseys and whatnot that we already have, why not a Virus VSTi?
Because they are friends. Urs Heckmann and Christoph Kemper that is.

You can expect modules from Roland, Korg, Moog etc. in Diva, but not from Virus.

wagtunes wrote:I have never owned a Virus but love the way it sounds so I would absolutely love an emulation. Shame you left us out of your poll.
I'm specifically interested in the opinions of people who have actual fisrt-hand experience with Virus. I appreciate that experienced synth users may form an opinion on a synth just by reading the specs and listening to the demos but it is still not the same thing (and there always will be someone who has no idea what Virus looks and sounds like but nevertheless knows for sure that it is crap because it is old and digital).
wagtunes wrote: ARE there any real Virus emulations that are 64 bit?
No. And even no 32 bit ones (Viper is not out yet). There are some old Reaktor creations based on earlier Virus models but they sound nothing like Virus.
wagtunes wrote: And if not, and if Virus is so damn popular, why hasn't one of the big guns made one yet?

No idea :scared:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

aMUSEd wrote:How does a different lead make a difference?
It is a fair question worth asking. I was reading up on the multitude of errors and problems with Virus over USB and opted immediately for the shortest lead I could get haviong read other users problems vanishing after chnaging the USB lead to a short/high quality one.

I have known a humble mouse or keyboard to not work over a long USB lead (or poor quality one)

Armed with this experience and the issues cropping up during virus research I assumed that with the Virus using close to maximum bandwidth that the leads length and quality could be a factor in reliability. It will be lower resistance as well. Data over broadband can be effected by cable quality (aluminium vs copper and distances) so lead quality, composition and length can and does have an effect over the speed and reliability of data transmission.

Ruling it out as a cause of potential problems early on in my Virus install and at such minimal expense seemed like a good plan.

wagtunes wrote:Seems puzzling to me with all the Minimoogs, Odysseys and whatnot that we already have, why not a Virus VSTi?
wags, I think the main reason would be the complexity of the synth itself. It does a heck of a lot and does it all extremely well. To incorporate all that AND aim for Virus' signature character too would be an absolutely mammoth task... and I imagine just downright soul-destroying having tons of nobodies like me online saying "it doesn't sound right! :x "

The other thing is that (historically) vintage synths were/are emulated because they are flippin expensive and there aren't enough to go around. The Virus has always been a contemporary synth which has been under constant development until a few years ago, so it's always been current and obtainable.

wagtunes wrote: Seems puzzling to me with all the Minimoogs, Odysseys and whatnot that we already have, why not a Virus VSTi?
Well, the Virus is a VA, the others are analog. And the Virus isn't 40 years old either. :P I also think that the devs' mentality simply will be "Oh well, it's an old VA, and I will simply do something superior", while missing the point why the Virus is so popular, and that's the character.

Anyway, for me, the likes of Spire and Largo (which IMO at least go remotely in its direction) are good enough.

Oh, and what xalama qo wrote above is true also IMO. People probably would dissect the emulation, and still would say it doesn't sound right.

Synthman2000 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:How does a different lead make a difference?
It is a fair question worth asking. I was reading up on the multitude of errors and problems with Virus over USB and opted immediately for the shortest lead I could get haviong read other users problems vanishing after chnaging the USB lead to a short/high quality one.

I have known a humble mouse or keyboard to not work over a long USB lead (or poor quality one)

Armed with this experience and the issues cropping up during virus research I assumed that with the Virus using close to maximum bandwidth that the leads length and quality could be a factor in reliability. It will be lower resistance as well. Data over broadband can be effected by cable quality (aluminium vs copper and distances) so lead quality, composition and length can and does have an effect over the speed and reliability of data transmission.

Ruling it out as a cause of potential problems early on in my Virus install and at such minimal expense seemed like a good plan.
Interesting, I would have to change the position of my desktop but I might have to try this, thanks

It is easy if you rely mainly on the TI Plug in GUI and don't use the hardware... I dont even know the Snow is down under the table on the top of the PC (it only has a couple of knobs anyway). If you like the tweakage of the knobs on the TI2 panel etc. it is a bit more of a sacrifice. The correct one is just a bit over £10.00 on ebay

If you wanted to get (probably) unnecessarily nerdy you could servisol switch clean spray the USB socket and clean it a bit, get rid of deposits/tarnishing on the Virus and the PC ends. Just be very careful doing so not to bend anything. Making sure the connection is as low resistance as possible.

The cable/connectors would certainly be the next think to check/replace clean if you have run out of USB socket options/firmware updates/latest drivers/keeping other things off that USB Root Hub etc. etc. and it is still playing up.
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't tbh - I mainly use the hardware and like to tweak knobs so need them at hands length, I only use the Ti plugin for sketching stuff out, patch management and some sound design. But sync is a pain when I do so this may still be worth it and I may end up using the Control plugin more if I have a better experience with it.

That's the jobby. I won't guarantee it, but it won't break the bank and if it works it saves a lot of hassles.

I do understand people using hardware but I am a bit dated on my input/output devices, a mouse and keyboard and an old dell 17inch monitor. Only controller I have is a 20 y.o. MIDI KB. I just like using the plug in version as my focus is all in one area along with the VSTi's and effects, I find synth hardware a distraction if anything. But we are all different I guess.

Good luck with it I hope it sorts it out.

(Other tips that seem to work for me... always have Virus as the first tracks in the DAW and always make sure it boots up before you power on the PC and or boot the DAW)

Sorry to go a bit O.T.
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool - bought it and Amazon just took £5 off in the cart for some reason :)

Return to “Instruments”