Softube Fix Phaser

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm Yep, that's why i'm hesitating... as good as it sounds, it shouldn't use more CPU than a quite CPU heavy soft synth.

Guess i'll pass for now, and demo in the future. Maybe they manage to get CPU usage a bit down with a future update (i won't count on it though...).
Maybe just stick with Phazor? Or ask Reveal sound to release the phaser in Spire as a plugin :)
I already asked them if they consider to make a fx only version of Spire. As usual, they consider it. :) Maybe with Spire 2.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:18 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm Yep, that's why i'm hesitating... as good as it sounds, it shouldn't use more CPU than a quite CPU heavy soft synth.

Guess i'll pass for now, and demo in the future. Maybe they manage to get CPU usage a bit down with a future update (i won't count on it though...).
Maybe just stick with Phazor? Or ask Reveal sound to release the phaser in Spire as a plugin :)
I already asked them if they consider to make a fx only version of Spire. As usual, they consider it. :) Maybe with Spire 2.
Oh cool. Its a great phaser :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Only just heard about this, will have to check it out.

All 3 of the fix effects are really tasty and easy to work with.. I never noticed them taking that much CPU though? Softube's stuff in general performs really well.

Whether you noticed or not - it certainly DOES take a huge amount of CPU, be it for a phaser in particular or an effect-plugin in general - dunno how they managed that.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

hmm yeah I see now.. that's not good. Kinda like the Vari Comp they made for NI. The other 2 (flanger and doubler) are very light though. I use those the most.

perfumer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm Those allpass filters don't run on wishful thinking, you know.
Well, they kind of do, I'd say...

it's almost certainly NOT the allpass filters using up all those cycles, since switching between 2 and 10 stages makes no noticeable difference.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

lwj wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 pm hmm yeah I see now.. that's not good. Kinda like the Vari Comp they made for NI. The other 2 (flanger and doubler) are very light though. I use those the most.

Yes, it becomes kinda ridiculous if comparing it with the Eventide Instant MK2 with all its gorgeous analog modelling which uses about one fifth of what the Fix Phaser uses...

I still like it, but damn, it's greedy!

jens wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:20 pm
lwj wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 pm hmm yeah I see now.. that's not good. Kinda like the Vari Comp they made for NI. The other 2 (flanger and doubler) are very light though. I use those the most.

Yes, it becomes kinda ridiculous if comparing it with the Eventide Instant MK2 with all its gorgeous analog modelling which uses about one fifth of what the Fix Phaser uses...

I still like it, but damn, it's greedy!
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Ouch!

Yeah, always makes me wonder why some plug-ins are such resource hogs and others are not. Sure, some processes are going to be more intensive by design, but still... I mean it can't all be down to devs not giving a damn.

escalona wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:11 pm Image
Those were my exact findings as well.

lwj wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 am Yeah, always makes me wonder why some plug-ins are such resource hogs and others are not. Sure, some processes are going to be more intensive by design, but still... I mean it can't all be down to devs not giving a damn.
I assume it has a lot to do with:

- if and where and how they use oversampling

- if and where and how they make use of instruction-sets such as AVX2

- if and where and how they use assembler

- how much time and effort they are willing and able to put into improving/streamlining the code

All in all I guess it's a mixture of ability, development ressources and willingness.

My assumption is that Softube aren't amongst the higher ranks regarding any of these.

For some reason they manage to sell their plugins as they are at insane prices without even being
very nice to their customers.

It's weird.

jens wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 pm My assumption is that Softube aren't amongst the higher ranks regarding any of these.

For some reason they manage to sell their plugins as they are at insane prices without even being
very nice to their customers.

It's weird.
Haha, I have a lot of Softube plug-ins and I rate them highly. In general they sound really good, are light on CPU and latency and they tend have a character and sound that just works. This appears to be exception, although the times I used it, the CPU use apparently didn't cause me any problems or I would've noticed. Support has been helpful and friendly as well.

The tone of their marketing is off though. A bit too jovial and hip, like we're all in a indie rock band but at least they're trying not to be dull and faceless.

I like Softube. Their free Saturation knob plugin, and also the reverbs they did for NI are pretty nice. Fix Phaser sounds absolutely wesome too, as i mentioned, by far the best i heard in phaser plugins, it's just that ridiculous CPU hit which prevents me from buying.

Return to “Effects”