KORG modwave mkii

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OpSix is missing the note advance feature on the sequencer that the Wavestate and Modwave have.
I love making every 4th note played go up an octave for inversions, paraphonic sounding effect

lfm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:44 pm
stoopicus wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:45 pm I think the sounds in there are actually more musically useful than the Wavestate, unless you are really in to layered sequences. Wavestate probably better for soundtracks and soundscapes, modwave probably better for music.
I did some ordinary synth sounds with Wavestate, but it was so boring picking samples in a list for every PWM ratio you wanted and such. Really cumbersome for that.
- instead of just turning a knob on ordinary synth

So really made for sequencing.

Thought at first Modwave was cool in how they visualize movement with bouncing object and such. But too close to Wavestate(which I sold a year ago).

So got an OpSix instead as I found that magnitudes deeper in what you can do although not many good factory presets to start off with on first version, v2.0 sounds were way better.

Korg really impresses either way bringing something new.
PWM isn't a problem on the Modwave. You can use a PWM wavetable (there are several) or you can use the "stretch" morph on a square wave.

If you want PWM that goes through 0 you can also "flip" one saw wave against another.

I guess technically you could make a wavetable for any modulation you can think of. If that opens up creativity.
<list your stupid gear here>

CoolColJ wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:57 pm OpSix is missing the note advance feature on the sequencer that the Wavestate and Modwave have.
I love making every 4th note played go up an octave for inversions, paraphonic sounding effect
Another cool thing about the "note advance" feature is that it lets you use the sequencer as per voice modulation to make some awfully analog sounds. (Provided you're not using the sequencer for anything else.)

egbert101 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 pm I guess technically you could make a wavetable for any modulation you can think of. If that opens up creativity.
That can actually work well for traditional analog oscillator modulations and is why every wavetable synth comes with basic morphing wave tables for the fundamental waveforms.

£699 at Andertons.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/korg ... -mk2-synth

Will probably go down in price eventually.

My only problem with the Modwave (other than the well known quality control issues) is that I can already tell I would never program it except through the software anyway. So basically the hardware synth is a less convenient version of Modwave Native.

The same is definitely true of the Wavestate and probably true of the OpSix (though I have not tried it yet).

Meanwhile, Modwave Native and Wavestate Native are both fantastic.

Some hands on controls are nice, such as the joystick on the wavestate and the faders and dials on the opsix. But yeah, the software is better which is a bit of a shame. These kinds of machines need a really good touchscreen or something that integrates better into the synth engine. I guess the Iridium is an example where this works, and possibly the Synclavier Regen.
There is always the performance aspect which makes hardware slightly more attractive, but unless it is going to be your main instrument for years, clearly a poorer hardware version is not worth it, especially digital.

egbert101 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:49 pm Some hands on controls are nice, such as the joystick on the wavestate and the faders and dials on the opsix. But yeah, the software is better which is a bit of a shame. These kinds of machines need a really good touchscreen or something that integrates better into the synth engine. I guess the Iridium is an example where this works, and possibly the Synclavier Regen.
There is always the performance aspect which makes hardware slightly more attractive, but unless it is going to be your main instrument for years, clearly a poorer hardware version is not worth it, especially digital.
+1
The HW is overpriced when you look at how cheaply the Wavestate, Modwave and the OPSiX are built and their bigger siblings are even more overpriced for what you get compared to the vst versions.

I wanted the hw but then they released the vst versions so i voted with my wallet like i mostly do when i can.

stoopicus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 pm I'm still playing with the Native demo deciding if I can stand its interface. Korg so tabby. Looks nice though and sounds amazing. Decent presets even in the demo.
I also think it sounds great.

It's got a nice grungy hardware type sound to it, and doesn't just sound soft synthy.

It's still on $99 as well.

_leras wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:55 am
stoopicus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 pm I'm still playing with the Native demo deciding if I can stand its interface. Korg so tabby. Looks nice though and sounds amazing. Decent presets even in the demo.
I also think it sounds great.

It's got a nice grungy hardware type sound to it, and doesn't just sound soft synthy.

It's still on $99 as well.
It's going to be a super good synth for harder genres. Looking forward to some electroindustrial goodness from it.

stoopicus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:08 pm It's going to be a super good synth for harder genres. Looking forward to some electroindustrial goodness from it.
Definitely.

It's got some real presence and bite to it.

Some really good free presets for the modwave here. Based on various Roland gear such as the Jupiter, Juno, JX3P. Great inspiring starting off points for expanding from. Check the youtube description for downloading.

https://youtu.be/lJs_MKOIlLw

I have programmed over 500 patches from my mk1, and now I have the mk2 I will port these to the mk2.
The new lfo trigger modes are cool but the increased polyphony is great.

I don't know if there is any difference in terms of firmware and therefore the Native software between mk1 and mk2. I think the increase in polyphony is because a more powerful processor is used, and that's the reason why they came out with a mk2 as the previous processor and chipset became unavailable. I think it's a Raspberry Pie circuit thing anyway.

So I think the presets should just load identically, so long as the firmware is updated.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”