Best or Cheapest Analog Saturation/Drive for Digital Synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many moons ago I built a kind of multifx thing with a Timmy, Suhr Riot and Deep Blue Delay. The Timmy works pretty well (bass and treble pots) and the Riot can annihilate if needed. Of course, a graphic eq is also your friend.

Yeah, so I think I'll go with the safe option of a simple analog saturation. I agree that digital will probably be just as good, but I'm going by feeling rather than my head. I will probably get the Syntakt and just pass stuff through that into a sampler. Problem solved.
<list your stupid gear here>

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:51 pm
bharris22 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:44 pm I just bought an IK Multimedia Uno Synth Pro as an outboard unit for my modular setup. You can run audio input through its analog filters and it has analog drive. The digital effects - reverb, delay, modulation - not to mention the actual synth, are a bonus :).
I’m contemplating getting one next April. How do you like it so far?
It should be arriving today :). I will let you know once I have a chance to give it a whirl.

Anyone know how exactly the Access Virus A, B and probably C etc., managed to sound so analog and warm? What trickery was used? Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/CGl2OikrCss

Doesn't sound like a VST...

Try opening the effect version of the DSP56300 in Plugin Doctor. I bet you won't see a flat frequency response.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:45 pm Try opening the effect version of the DSP56300 in Plugin Doctor. I bet you won't see a flat frequency response.
Just wondering if it's outside the software, in some converters or something else in the signal chain. But yeah, probably some kind of warming algorithms in the effects.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 pm Anyone know how exactly the Access Virus A, B and probably C etc., managed to sound so analog and warm? What trickery was used? Here is an example:

Mr. Kemper simply knows what he's doing...

I don't have any physical synths but I like to run vsts out and back in through guitar pedals. Klon, Timmy, Warm Audio Fuzz, OP amp muff, delays and choruses that clip. Donner makes a modded DS clone that has a bigger bottom. Grab one of the $30 rats that does multiple voices. Sky's the limit biggest issue is cheap equals noise and when you stack cheap noise its loud.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 pm Anyone know how exactly the Access Virus A, B and probably C etc., managed to sound so analog and warm? What trickery was used?
I don't know about Virus, but Nordlead 2X there is a massive difference if you use unison or not, so each channel get a voice and out of phase.
- makes anything sound fuller

Nordlead sounds rather plain if just using mono. If doing Prologue or REV2 that is not the case, always nice enough as mono.

It's the same thing when recording acoustic guitar, I add a clamp on mic as well apart from built in and pan left/right.
- distance where mic pics up a sound creates phase difference

Chorus effect also build on phase differences and adding together.

To make something plain sounding getting more full sounding
- add stuff that is out of phase to some degree

And synths that has pan spread of voices is really nice in itself. Harmonics of every voice is less cancelled out in this way. And if unison with phase differences even nicer.

Nordlead 2X does not spread voices, but if using ensemble effect in Prologue that enhances sound quite a bit. And REV2 is magic doing two layers with slight differences of pan spread and osc slop so slight tuning differences.

Adding detuned voices does make it fuller in itself. This is phase differences in fact.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:16 pm Just wondering if it's outside the software, in some converters or something else in the signal chain.
People used to say that contributed. For example, the general consensus was that the TI's physical outputs sounded better than the USB outputs. I don't know if that's true or not.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm All that is required to make digital synths sparkle is a bit of saturation. I find digital saturation almost pulls it off, but doesn't really satisfy as magical pixie dust.

What is your cheapest/best method for adding analog saturation/drive to your digital gear?
MXR Distortion+

The older the better, but it's the original 303 acid distortion and responds well to different dynamics of input.

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advic ... e-dirt-box

There are some great itb choices these days though. Plugin alliance have a bunch, UAD have a few great choices too.

For some fun pedals maybe look to idiot box
E.g.
https://www.idiotboxeffects.com/product ... super-fuzz

https://youtu.be/DqtyxXxGMa8?si=BLBL22HHxBh1knOQ

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:32 pm Anyone know how exactly the Access Virus A, B and probably C etc., managed to sound so analog and warm? What trickery was used? Here is an example:

Bandlimited waveforms to (somewhat) keep down aliasing artifacts.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

egbert101 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm What is your cheapest/best method for adding analog saturation/drive to your digital gear?
knock off Gonkulator pedal clone thru a knockoff Grunge pedal clone. If I can find a knockoff Bad Monkey the world will be complete. Unfortunately I might be forced to buy a real one. And no, ordinary TS clones wont suffice.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

For clipping distortion and fuzz, pedals can be pretty cost-effective and give dramatic results. Have a look on ebay for cheap used or cloned DOD250 or fuzz face-derived things.

For more subtle saturation, the noise floor is more of an issue. Unless you drop the money on higher-quality gear (i.e. 500 series or 19" rack), digital artefacts/CPU is likely to be the lesser of two evils.

To play the "devil's advocate": I think NI Dirt is hands down the best software distortion/saturation there is. And, that's coming from someone who never really was satifised with the results with software distortion. It has something other (digital) stuff just doesn't have. Really high fidelity.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”