Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

Propellerhead's new format for use in upcoming Reason 6.5.

RE means Rack Extension!
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:Propellerhead's new format for use in upcoming Reason 6.5.

RE means Rack Extension!
OK, thanks!!

The button that is named "man" in the Osc 1 section, what modulation source is that referring to?

Thanks

Remedial wrote:The button that is named "man" in the Osc 1 section, what modulation source is that referring to?

Thanks
Manual, AKA DIY knob twiddling :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
Remedial wrote:The button that is named "man" in the Osc 1 section, what modulation source is that referring to?

Thanks
Manual, AKA DIY knob twiddling :)

:lol: Dunno if it's because of summer and all the short skirts .. but that sounded so funny :hihi:

karrikuh wrote:OK, I updated the original download package with new XP-compatible builds.
XP version works fine here ... thanx. :tu:

I just finished another track using primarily Charlatan: https://soundcloud.com/enzor/june-jubilee The drums are Battery 3 however. Love this synth! What's next for BlauKraut Engineering? My wallet is ready.

First of all a huge thanks for this awesome little gem. It has its own special place in my collection.

But there is an issue bugging me for some time now.

When I switch my Host's audio engine to 64 bit, Charlatan does not work at all, no output, nothing. When reverted back to 32 bit - everything works perfectly fine.

Profile - Win7 64 bit / Zynewave Podium 3.1.2 (x32) / Charlatan (x32)

Never encountered this problem before with other synths, so I presume it has something to do with the vst, rather than the host. If this is not the case I guess I will have to report the issue in the Zynewave forums.

Anyways, thanks again and all the Best

It is really refreshing to see a synth without a cheap delay or flanger or something slapped on. To me this synth begs for a simple FM control in the style of synth1.
miedex

Could someone please clarify specifically which supplementary sound banks either don't work with the latest version, or must be tweaked? Are there new banks available for the latest version? Thx.

Great synth...very musical...Thanks so much for this little gem...

A couple of little additions would be very cool...

A separate (variable) noise oscillator to blend in with the 2 oscillators..

An FM function...

A skinnable GUI for those of us who don't always see red :)

Some requests : )

1. I think skinnable gui would harm charlatan (see Reaper and some others.), but the ability to change colors is something I really would like to see.
The fact that charlatan is red as default is a nice gimmick, but it is really not comfortable when using it for longer time . You could keep the font white at all time for avoiding ugly combinations but to be able to change the panel background would be a +10.

2. A other gui thing. Now the tempo sync is added you have to click in the lfo rate list to chose the rate as opposed to how it works when in free mode.
In free mode you just have to twist the knob instead of clicking.
Maybe you could reconsider this? If you would change the sliders of the adsr's to knobs it would free up pretty much space I think to make this possible in the gui , also maybe for othe features ( fm? ).
The size of the gui is perfect, hate those big gui's.
Why I bother this is because I spend a lot of time in front of the screen and I think also the workflow would benefit from this.

3. I'm pretty new to synthesis and the minor hidden things in the synth confuse me.
This is my fault ofcourse, but would you mind to write a little manual for the synth?
Just to list the features. The readme does not really sum it up them that clear to me due the changes and tweaks.

4. How would you feel to have to show the rates when touching a knob?
Or is this to far from your idea of charalatan.

I'm really trying to "get" your synth as I think the sound and the simplicity is great. Also you mentioned a further clean up of the code for better cpu handling I think? I'm trying to abandon synth1 as I think this is the follow up : )Keep up the good work !

Hi Blaukraut!
Enjoying Charlatan here, especially the BP filter! Sounds very juicy to me.
Just wondering if there's any way to assign knobs to midi controller via a learn function? Sorry, haven't read entire thread to check if this has been mentioned already.

Hello and thank you for this great synth! I for one think that the GUI is great. I tend to like darker colored synths, so if you did do a choose your own color deal I wouldn't complain, but honestly it's very sexy to me, I have no eye twitches while fiddling :)

The only real feature request I have at the moment is this: I was really hoping to be able to use both the LFO and envelope on the filter at the same time... maybe in the future you could work that in? Other than that it's PERFECT! Thanks so much again.
In the future there will be robots!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 27#5001827

This plugin can help expand and add midi control (in a very easy way) to any synth or effect. I used it to make a three-stacked charlatan* with separate lfo for filter, pitch and pulse width. Yes, three charlatans sound VERY fat! It gave my soundcard diabetes :cry:
For convenience you can add effects to it also.

(if you move one knob on the charlatan ui of one of the instances, the others will move as well provided you have set that knob up to the same parameter in mux)

Return to “Instruments”