IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

themachinelt wrote:I need answer i cant find even in manual...

how to assign parameters to macros?
unbelievably you can't.

double post...
Last edited by buzzlegs on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post...

buzzlegs wrote:

unbelievably you can't.
Are you serious? Maybe anyone knows how to automate the parameters in FL Studio then? Like filter cutoff if its not linked to macro.

Now a question to IK Multimedia (if you are reading this),

why not to include macro assigment? 10 years ago i wouldve believed, but now?

...but really why to not include such feature? Is Sampletank project manager decided to make a joke of this by not including macro assignment (im not talking about other obvious features that OTHER vsts have...) ? Gosh NI Massive was released lightyears ago and it had even drag and drop macro assigment.

How on earth project management could be so stupid about some of ST decisions i am still surprised. I feel that IK is focused much more on the ST3 marketing and how to make money quickly then on making ST a really good product. Now its unfinished, buggy. And seing those advertises about new libraries, sales and stuff when the product is broken i start to loose respect for IK Multimedia.

What is your road map for the ST? Make version 4 with features and fbug fixes that were asked before version 3 release and ask money from users for such "upgrade"?

Every part in ST3 has 10 VSTi parameters - Volume, Pan and the 8 Macro controls (not all may be used). All of those can be automated from the host.

Other controls (e.g. Cutoff )can be mapped to MIDI CC# and controlled by MIDI CC messages from the host or keyboard controller.

Having said that it would be much better to be able to freely assign any 8 parameters to the Macros and automate them as VSTi parameters.
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

the only thing capable of changing IK's mind is that you bang their support with this. enough people waste IK's time with this - maybe they'll add this IMO obvious feature.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

DarkStar wrote:Every part in ST3 has 10 VSTi parameters - Volume, Pan and the 8 Macro controls (not all may be used). All of those can be automated from the host.

Other controls (e.g. Cutoff )can be mapped to MIDI CC# and controlled by MIDI CC messages from the host or keyboard controller.

Having said that it would be much better to be able to freely assign any 8 parameters to the Macros and automate them as VSTi parameters.
Unfortunetly you cant map midi CC of ST in FL Studio 12, that means no automation in FL Studio.

Burillo wrote:the only thing capable of changing IK's mind is that you bang their support with this. enough people waste IK's time with this - maybe they'll add this IMO obvious feature.
I dont think so. Ive already send numerous requests to fix some things im encountering and IK Multimedia seem to dont care at all.

they've got thousands of users, of course they don't care specifically about you individually, especially if your issues aren't bugs (from their point of view, which may differ from what you consider as a bug). but, as i said, if enough people come forward with the same request, they might just have to do something about it.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

themachinelt wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Every part in ST3 has 10 VSTi parameters - Volume, Pan and the 8 Macro controls (not all may be used). All of those can be automated from the host.

Unfortunately you cant map midi CC of ST in FL Studio 12, that means no automation in FL Studio.
Maybe I have misunderstood, but doesn't FL Studio let you send MIDI CC messages (from a keyboard or MIDI item) to a plug-in? That's all that's needed.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

It should let, at least for other instruments it does.

You can't. At least you couldn't in earlier versions and I haven't seen anything in the release notes that indicates this previously requested feature has been added. I gave up trying but I'll try again with the latest ST3 version in a little while when I boot the studio.

Not being able to assign user defined parameters to the Macro Knobs is a puzzling omission from ST3. :?
themachinelt wrote: why not to include macro assigment? 10 years ago i wouldve believed, but now?
...but really why to not include such feature? I
I brought this up right after the first version ST3 was released. I too am surprised such a logical and common feature is still missing from ST3. The Macro assignments are part of the instrument files but if I remember correctly you need a special developer's edition of ST3 to create the full Instrument files. One request was for a special separate tool that would allow the average user to create full instrument files and hence assign custom parameters to the Macro Knobs but that would be a very kludgy workaround.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

DarkStar wrote:To clarify:
  • I have never renamed 'LegacyInstrumentsCache.db' then clicked the Rebuild button.
  • And, when I do click Rebuild it does rebuild the LegacyInstrumentsCache.db file along with the others.
For the record I completely removed the cache file from it's default location and ST did not create a new one. I suppose ST could have found the file in it's new hidden location and updated it from there.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ok I just checked with the latest version of ST3 and it appears that assigning user defined parameters to Macro Knobs is still not possible.

One possible solution I see would be to add the ability to right click on a parameter in the instrument edit page such as Filter Cutoff and a menu pops up "Assign to Macro Knob # X" then assign it to the knob you want. Then of course you can already assign the CC# you want that Marco Knob to respond to.......

I'd want the Macro Knobs to have a Global Mode where the knobs always respond to the same CC#s so no matter what instrument is loaded the knobs always respond to the same CC's that my midi controller is sending.

8 knobs on my midi controller....8 Macro Knobs....seems like a marriage made in Heaven. All we need is the ability to customize what those knobs control......... :tu:

I first brought the Macro Knob issue up on the IK forums on August 21st 2014.

Wow Teksonik, that was really very long time ago, soon it will be a year. Well IK Multimedia support isnt really good at all when considering what actually users request. I wonder if they have thought that such cons impact theyr sales.

Futhermore, that makes me wonder if the Sampletank 3 project is being handled at all by computer musicians/ex musicians. Im sure a common sense in every musician/programmer would be to add assignable macros (aswel other common features these days).

Return to “Instruments”