I survived the Black Friday GAS attack!! But the force is strong and the mind is weak

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
Apostate wrote:Back on topic, I definitely feel your pain, chk071.
No pain here mate, not at all. :) It rather would be a pain to spend another 100-200 € on stuff which is similar to the stuff i already own... and the real pain is rather that i still haven't taken the time to learn what i have already. Sounds cliché, but it's like that IMO.
I agree, as outlined above. I already have a ton of great stuff 8)
Ha ha suck it!

Happy to report I dodged another one. Saw Rob Papen stuff 50% off and lost my mind in the blink of an eye. Got the demos, tried them and was about to buy some of them. Then managed to convince myself that I already have stuff that cover the same ground. Boy, am I strong or what?

e@rs wrote:Happy to report I dodged another one. Saw Rob Papen stuff 50% off and lost my mind in the blink of an eye. Got the demos, tried them and was about to buy some of them. Then managed to convince myself that I already have stuff that cover the same ground. Boy, am I strong or what?
It gets easier with time. I feel like I'm ready to enter a new era where I sell of the duplicates to just un-clutter my virtual studio.

One thing I've noticed is the predominance of libraries geared toward making movie trailers. Are there really that many movie trailers to compose music for? Particularly when considering how many composers are already on hand for that job right this second.

I guess...I guess a significant amount of people buying sample libraries, effects, and synths today are people who do it for a hobby. Whether intentionally or not. Nothing wrong with that, it's just too bad that for a lot of people whom are hobbyists, this is mostly an expensive one. Even for Black Friday.

But hey, to each his or her own.
Ha ha suck it!

I had a plan to spend $40 months before.

I got the Synthmaster skin from Satyatunes (not really a Black Friday deal, just something I wanted) = $10
Got the Korg M1 for 50% =$25
Got Tronto for Kontakt @ 50% for 50% = $10 (7 euro)

I'm done and good.

Guitar Center had some nice deals though!
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Apostate wrote:One thing I've noticed is the predominance of libraries geared toward making movie trailers. Are there really that many movie trailers to compose music for? Particularly when considering how many composers are already on hand for that job right this second.

I guess...I guess a significant amount of people buying sample libraries, effects, and synths today are people who do it for a hobby. Whether intentionally or not. Nothing wrong with that, it's just too bad that for a lot of people whom are hobbyists, this is mostly an expensive one. Even for Black Friday.

I'm a bit curious about that as well. I might guess that there are a lot of amateur moviemakes who also need those kinds of sounds and, just like with music, people take the task seriously even if they aren't making money with their hobby.

ghettosynth wrote:
Apostate wrote:One thing I've noticed is the predominance of libraries geared toward making movie trailers. Are there really that many movie trailers to compose music for? Particularly when considering how many composers are already on hand for that job right this second.

I'm a bit curious about that as well. I might guess that there are a lot of amateur moviemakes who also need those kinds of sounds and, just like with music, people take the task seriously even if they aren't making money with their hobby.
At the risk of sounding overly Seinfeld: "it's not that there's anything wrong with that"! :lol:

I mostly mentioned it because I pay the rent (barely) with what I do in music. So, due to the fact that I spend one heck of a lot of time doing music, with a small percentage of payment compared to time invested, I guess some of what I do can be classified as "self-entertainment"...or, hobbyist.
Ha ha suck it!

The predominace of movie or "soundtrack" libraries could also be related to video game sound design and soundtracks. That's gotten really big over the last few years.

sprnva wrote:The predominace of movie or "soundtrack" libraries could also be related to video game sound design and soundtracks. That's gotten really big over the last few years.
Thanks for making me feel dumb :dog:

And the video games are getting more and more popular, not to mention superhero movies that demand intense trailers. So DOOOOOH! me.
Ha ha suck it!

sprnva wrote:The predominace of movie or "soundtrack" libraries could also be related to video game sound design and soundtracks. That's gotten really big over the last few years.
That makes sense, and people believe that they're going to make money, it's much less "arty" than amateur movie making.

GAS has no effect on me online. But, in my city, I've bought second-hand gear (electric guitar, bass, keyboard, drumpad, amplifier) from pawn shops, from people who placed ads, etc. I'm perpetually poor and just a cog in the machinery (work, save, quit, work)... and paranoid about how secure internet financial transactions are (hackers are God).

But I can relate to GAS. I'm afflicted with (FAS) Freeware Acquisition Syndrome. It's also a sickness. Very time-consuming. So yup, weak mind here too, in respect to FAS, that is.

Besides, I don't think that infinite gear matters much when composing a song. All one needs is a keyboard and one finger? Okay two hands, if you wanna get fast and counterpointy.

With altering sounds, lots of freeware can do the job just as well?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Is it safe to come out of the bunker? :scared:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Bollocks to abstinence!

I picked up Melda MTransformer and Boz Manic Compressor for crazily cheap prices, and flipping chuffed I am too.

The other stuff can wait until Christmas-New Year sales - when most of the sites I like run another 50% sale.

Hurrah for spending money on enjoyable frivolity!

Survivors of Black Friday GAS, I fart in your general direction.

Not safe! I survived Black Friday but got pulled into Blacker Saturday!!!! Help!!!!!!
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Not safe! I survived Black Friday but got pulled into Blacker Saturday!!!! Help!!!!!!
I am still under $100 overall so not bad at all. I have had $600+ Black Friday/Blacker Saturday's in the past years. My goal is to not go over $100 this year. I did pass on a ton of stuff this year that I was tempted by and I am proud of myself overall!
Play it by ear

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”